Sign in to follow this  
Rjenson

Turbo blue??

Rjenson

Hey guys, I've got a question here.. first a little explaining.. I have been pulling a 704 but I put a 12 hp from a electro 12 in it.. the kind with the breakerless ignition.. gotta say smoothest running m otor ever.. now we run different kinds of pulling. Some dead sled percentage, some transfer sled on dirt as well as on asphalt. Now this little tractor has kicked some major but this year and has one several top places. My 9 yr old daughter also pulls in in the kids classes. We all are running stock and by that I mean no major enhancments to motor or trans.. well this weekend I got whooped by another wheel horse.. (at least it wasn't a cub) :woohoo:. He was blowing everyone away. We were all in shock!! He claimed he was completely stock except that he was using turbo blue fuel.. this was the first time he had pulled with our club. I don't want to sound like a sore loser or poor sport but can turbo blue make that much difference and can you run it in a stock kohler??

Jim_M

High octane fuel won't make more power in a stock engine, in fact it can actually make less horsepower in some cases.

My guess is it may have been basically stock except for having the head milled and the ignition timing advanced. In that case he would need to run high octane fuel.

Rjenson

So basicly it would be pointless for me to switch to turbo blue?

chris11

pointless

Jim_M

Yup, pointless and a waste of money.

tommy3horse

I have raced my Mustangs and the other guys always had an edge. Sometimes they'll tell you about spark plugs and fuel....but its usually what they dont tell you that makes the difference in your win/loss record. :woohoo:

Tom

:D

mavfreak

running race fuel in a low compression engine is a waist and can even hurt the engine. The high octane in race fuel will not burn properly because there isn't enough compression to get it to the proper burn heat. thus causeing a partial burn or two flame fronts which can cause knockin and pinning and that can cause engine damage. This will also cause carbon build up within the cylinder Plus what isn't burned will come out the exhaust and the excess fuel can lay on the exhaust valve and will cause carbon build up.

the higher the octane the worse the effects

Unless the damage is done and you already have a carbon build up which will increase your compression forcing you to run a higher octane which the hot spots from the carbon build up causes the air fuel mixture to pre-ignite that causes your piston to be forced down before TDC and that's when you start to brake expensive things

Rjenson

Thanks for all the info guys.. you just saved me from a virtual disaster!!!

buckeye25

you can use the fuel if you get the right head temperature ensuring good combustion and a bit more power . in order to do this you need a head temp monitor and duct tape to put over the air intake screen on the flywheel ideal running temp for turbo blue is 325 deg farenheit at the spark plug to acheive this temp you will need to start putting tape over the screen run it under a full load and monitor the head temp once it reaches this temp the fuel will burn hot and clean. but the more air you block the hotter you will run so on hot days less tape cooler days more tape once you get good temp and the right ammount of tape make sure to start your engine and let it start warming up before you pull i used this trick on racing carts for years even when i ran alcohol it worked well and never had much trouble with deposits in cylinder. and yes unless this is the way you want to do run blue the other guys are correct it will be pointlees and potentialy fatal. also after you are done pulling you may want to put a fan on the engine or remove the tape and idle the engine to properly cool it down . i suggest a fan so yo dont have to keep puttin the tape on and off :)