Sign in to follow this  
richied

brake to neutral linkage on 416h

richied

Hi,

first post for me. I recently bought a used 416h with a kwikway front end loader.

The setup is sweet with low hours and I am using it to spread loam and mulch and build a short path into the woods so I can haul out brush and firewood.

The open differential really limits the 416h traction wise. I already have dual rears with AG bar tires on the outer rims filled with rimguard and a ballast box full of sand.

I thought of a trick that might work in a pinch to improve traction with a single wheel spinning, but wanted to ask the experienced folks here for an opinion.

Sometimes its possible on an open diff vehicle to apply the brakes to force some torque to the stationary wheel by adding drag to the spinning wheel.

The 416 only has a single brake for both wheels though(I just replaced the band) and a disconnect linkage that forces neutral when you apply the brake.

I was thinking if it was possible to remove the brake-neutral disconnect linkage and that by applying the brake if a wheel started spinning, might force some torque to the non spinning wheel.

Any thoughts on this..if it might work or how hard it is to remove the linkage?

thanks

rich

daveoman1966

Why not just install a 10-pinion LSD in the gearbox. I have a LSD from a Raider 14 that looks to be dimensionally the same as an 8-pinion diff from a 520H which is the same as the 416-H.

for further details and pics, send me an OFF-SITE email. My addresss is:

daveoman@windstream.net

Attached Image

post-74-1309191031.jpg

shorts

:woohoo: the apply brakes trick is an old timer deal that works really well but only if you have a brake assembly at each rear wheel, unfortunately only the D series had optional rear wheel brakes, all of the rest of the :D use a transmission brake that stops the trans and not the wheels

richied

thanks folks, Yup I was afraid that the transmission brake mean't no dice on my idea.

Dave I'll email, but I think installing an lsd is "beyond my pay grade":-), unless you know a wheelhorse mechanic in the central ma area.

rich

richied

just a quick update, I played around with the linkages yesterday and was able to partially disconnect the brake-neutral "feature"...the lawyers sure did a good job in making this hard to do:-) Its confirmed that the transmission brake does NOT help in redirecting the torque to the non spinning rear wheel. I jacked the right rear off the ground and applied the brake while it spun but all it did was slow down some.

rich

redtin

Hi What is this brake-neutral thing, nothing like that on my 1978 416-8 :woohoo:

redtin

sorry just noticed it's an h :woohoo: