Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Got The One I Wanted

Butch

Ray

besure to double up the pins in the steering fan and lower steering shaft gear

(1/4" with a 5/32 inside of it)

Brian

God I love this kinda talk! :P I have no idea what Brian is saying but I love this kinda talk. :D:woohoo:

Butch...it is a flaw in the design...where they had the original roll pin in the steering linkage in the early round hoods...1962 included. The roll pin either worked itself out to a point, and bent or broke, or came out. WH put out a Service Bulletin that put a smaller roll pin inside of the existing one that cured the problem. Easy fix, but we still run into horses that did not have this done. :D Here is picture that shows that we have talked about this.... :ROTF: Man I am going to get to use this a lot. :D

IMG_1673_resize.jpg

I could have sworn that this picture was taken when you were telling me how your Pilates exercises had enlarged your breasts. :D

Suburban 550

Ray

besure to double up the pins in the steering fan and lower steering shaft gear

(1/4" with a 5/32 inside of it)

Brian

God I love this kinda talk! :P I have no idea what Brian is saying but I love this kinda talk. :D:woohoo:

Butch...it is a flaw in the design...where they had the original roll pin in the steering linkage in the early round hoods...1962 included. The roll pin either worked itself out to a point, and bent or broke, or came out. WH put out a Service Bulletin that put a smaller roll pin inside of the existing one that cured the problem. Easy fix, but we still run into horses that did not have this done. :D Here is picture that shows that we have talked about this.... :ROTF: Man I am going to get to use this a lot. :D

IMG_1673_resize.jpg

I could have sworn that this picture was taken when you were telling me how your Pilates exercises had enlarged your breasts. :D

Now that's a pair I'd like to have in a poker game. :D I could see where this thread is heading. It's gonna end up like my thread of what was in the carburetor. :P

Buzz

Ray, check out the Just For Fun section. I moved this picture there.... :woohoo: It's only just begun...................

SNYFIX

Even has the original ignition switch !! Those tie rods in the parts pic look familiar !!

new2horses

Ray,

Reading this thread makes me very happy to know you are now the proud owner of the 701. I know you are going to give it the care and attention it needs and deserves.

Mike informed me you were disappointed we did not stop by after making the deal on the Bantam, sorry about that. We ate a sandwich on the tail gate and then headed for Hershey.

We really had a large time in PA and look forward to next year.

Regards to all, David :D :woohoo:

HorseFixer

IMG_1673_resize.jpg

I could have sworn that this picture was taken when you were telling me how your Pilates exercises had enlarged your breasts. :woohoo:

:P:D:D

Cheers ~Duke :ROTF:

:D

Suburban 550

Ray,

Reading this thread makes me very happy to know you are now the proud owner of the 701. I know you are going to give it the care and attention it needs and deserves.

Mike informed me you were disappointed we did not stop by after making the deal on the Bantam, sorry about that. We ate a sandwich on the tail gate and then headed for Hershey.

We really had a large time in PA and look forward to next year.

Regards to all, David :P:D

David, you drive a hard bargain, but I simply had to have it. :D It was great meeting you and gettin' to spend time with you at the show. :D Back to business now. I got to spend some more time with it today and made a little more progress on it. Here are some more pics from today.

Bottom steering support all welded and finished off

IMG_0728.jpg

Fuel bowl all taken apart and cleaned up. No wonder why it was starving for fuel when I had it runnin' at the show. It was almost totally blocked. :woohoo:

IMG_0731.jpg

Drained all the gear oil and not a drop of water in the transmission. Everything seems to be nice and tight with both the axles and the hubs in great shape. :ROTF: Don't see any reason to pull this one apart. I will replace all the seals, keys and bolts and jam nuts on the hubs and hopefully be in good shape.

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

stevasaurus

Ray...they did a great job on the cast iron weld. :woohoo: Looking to keep an eye on this thread. :D

Gerry w

Wow Ray! No moss growing under your shoes! Loving this tread as well, thanks for the info and all the updates! :woohoo:

Gerry

rmaynard

Great job so far Ray. Keep the pictures coming as the progress continues. :woohoo:

dclarke

from here i can't tell your steering support has been welded Ray, looks like he did a great job. :woohoo:

Suburban 550

Sadly, I missed the Dover, Pa. show this weekend due to insurance issues over the wrecked camper, but it gave me some time to spend on the 701. Got tired of lookin' at that hinged hood and yesterday was the day to get it done. So far I got the front end all tightened up, engine all tuned up, redid the wiring and startin' to reassemble it to make sure everything is ok before it is all takin apart for paint. Here are some updated pics.

Hood all welded and fishplated from behind with no more hinge

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

Slots were cut in the rear of hood to slide down over the bolts in gas tank

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

Hood all fitted up with some reassembly being done

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

dclarke

Nice job Ray. :thumbs2:

kthack657

Hey Ray,

Sorry you couldnt come to the dover show hope all is going well with getting the new trailer. We had a good time there, but I am happy to see the progress on the 701 I hope mine will be parked next to yours and dukes at the show next year...maybe the feature tractor should be the 701!

Keep us up to date on your progreaa :banghead::thumbs2:

Karen

buckrancher

looking good Ray :thumbs2:

Brian

rmaynard

Look like a good job. I'm going to try my hand at welding one of these days.

HorseFixer

Soooooooooo looks like my PeP talked worked :D Glad to see ya back at it pal :thumbs2: And there is no doubt in the Dukesters mind you will have that baby in top notch shape & looking good for the show! :banghead: Well gotta go! Gotta get out in the Garage and get busy on mine! :banghead:

Cheers ~Duke

:thumbs:

rthomp26

Reading through this thread sure makes me miss my old 701. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. I think I need another one?!

Suburban 550

After a long time away from here and the garage, I finally made up my mind while I have some free time, today would be the day I would get out there and clean up the garage and get started back on the 701. Tractor parts and tools all over the place and no time to get anything done. :help: Haven't done anything to it since August or September and hopefully by the end of the day I have at least a clean garage and a rolling chassis. :dunno: If anybody has an original picture of what the side drive belt cover looks like I would appreciate it. The cover I have is missing the bracket where it mounts on to the engine and was wondering if it had belt guide tabs on it or not. :wh:

Suburban 550

Well, I got alot more done than I expected today. :dunno: Got the garage all cleaned up, replaced all the seals and keys in the transmission, new drive belt, and never have driven this tractor since I got it back in June. I decided today was the day it would make its maiden voyage. I bolted on all the sheet metal and the new seat I bought at the show and without a belt guard ( I had to shut it down to shift gears) I took it for a run. It ran like a clock with no issues what so ever. I'm startin' to like the rustic look it has.

Here are some updated pics fom today

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

Gas tank will be relaced with this one due to the holes for the hood bolts are messed up

IMG_0843.jpg

Original belt guard needs some fabrication work

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

Why that section of the belt guard was cut out is beyond me. :help: Wonder if it was the same guy who cut the hood? :wh:

Suburban 550

Got a little more done between last weekend and this weekend to get it back in shape. It turned out to be a real sweet runner that I'm glad I didn't pass up the opportunity of buying. I got the original belt guard all welded back together and fitted up and primer on all the bare metal spots until I get time to finish them all off. I also got the lift handle, lift cable and rear hitch back on (special thanks to Denny Clarke for sending me the pin for the rear hitch and Duke for the pics of what the 701 belt guard should look like). The only thing left to do is replace the gas tank and make the tough decision of what to do with it ( to tear it all down and repaint it or to repair the bad areas and leave it alone for now). They are only original once and other than the repair areas on the hood and belt guard, it's in pretty decent shape. Here are a couple more pictures of the progress from the last two weekends

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

dclarke

I like the way it looks now Ray but I gotta tell ya they sure look good when you get done with them. Decisions, decisions.

rmaynard

Ray,

That 701 is really looking good. :handgestures-thumbup: I remember what it looked like when you drug it over to the campsite. I knew that you would be able to work your magic. I can't wait to see the final product. I'm headed to Montoursville this morning for my Commando. I'll wave as I go by. :greetings-waveyellow:

WHRNaddict

post-2639-0-26520300-1323001478.jpgpost-2639-0-76344900-1323001453.jpgIMO I'd leave it as rustic as you can. The hood on my 55 some one painted green, then tried to grind it off, I striped it did a minimal repair, primered w/ red oxide, a thin coat of AC orange, then a thin coat of valspar IH red, misted it w/ red primer, all this while wet, let it dry then went over it w/ fine steel wool. Not perfect but close. I'd try it on a small part 1st. Just my two cents.

Suburban 550

Ray,

That 701 is really looking good. :handgestures-thumbup: I remember what it looked like when you drug it over to the campsite. I knew that you would be able to work your magic. I can't wait to see the final product. I'm headed to Montoursville this morning for my Commando. I'll wave as I go by. :greetings-waveyellow:

Have a safe trip, Bob and good luck with the new Commando. I forgot to mention, I was down your neck of the woods at Inner Harbor to a big tow truck show the weekend before Thanksgiving with the boss and a few guys from work. Stayed at the Marriot and spent Friday night at the Hard Rock Cafe. I really needed that short vacation. Denny, ya really got me thinkin now.