RadFisher

312-8 Uni-Drive Trans.

Cadmandu

Okay thanks

stevasaurus

I was kind of thinking that could be the problem also...especially if the clutch and brake pedal are one and the same on the left side, but aren't the brake and clutch pedal separate on the 318??  :think:

I agree that 45 degrees is really too steep for a garden tractor, you would not see me trying that.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

123GO

Anyone know what caused this tractor to act like this?

Edited by 123GO

Lee1977

A 1989 312-8 would it have the gas spring on the right side.  I always though my 312-8 was a 1989 as the model number was gone and it had the brackets for the gas spring. Maybe he needs the clutch spring on the left side and remove the gas spring.

Edited by Lee1977

123GO

Well' Lee1977 it will already have the return spring down on the left side near the brake hub if pedal returns because the spring is all that returns a clutch pedal back to the original position (out). The part underneath the right fender you're referring to as a gas spring is actually a damper to cushion the clutch pedal as it's released so the operator gets a more controlled softer start. Aka: Wheelie Stopper.. (recently learned myself)

You're correct' the plunger rod inside it has been known to stick, then suddenly release all at once and causes a tractor to lunge and/or speed up.  Also' most people do remove the damper when they act up due to Toro's ridiculously high replacement cost for the part. It's body is threaded therefore adjustable on my 1988 414-8 at least & I only assume it's the same way on all models but idk?  Mine stuck a little and belt slipped and jerked once but before removing it I cleaned my damper rod off real good, it had yrs of grimy grease, almost tar like buildup on it and it's working fine again but I'll remove mine next time it acts up. 

Then while in higher gears the 414-8 will be more like my 1976 B100-8 on take off, best to hold on tight..lol. Only in higher gears and throttled up though, much smoother whenever needed to be by lowering throttle and/or gear. I go back and forth from my tractors one with,one without a damper with no bad issues, I'm used to their clutch style I guess? 

My 414-8 breakdown link below shows  #48 Clutch Return Spring Part #108035.and Damper pictured #53 as Part #1045095. Damper Bracket Part #114131.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/toro/riding-products/31-14k803-414-8-garden-tractor-1988/clutch-brake-and-speed-control-linkage

Edited by 123GO