Sign in to follow this  
fabricator2009

d200

fabricator2009

I have a d200 with the ark550 loader. It takes 3 men and a plow horse to steer it when its loaded. Many moons ago, I saw a thread where someone was making power steering units for these. Can someone let me know where I can find this? Thanks in advance, Ken.

Gene_S

Ken with the talent you have with making things you could do this I'm sure... :hide:

If anything you could get some pointers from Bob Rock... Good luck...

Ian928

We fitted a power steering system from a John Deere 420 tractor, it works great! We now use one hand and a steering ball to control the tractor. Also, all the slop from the original linkage is gone.

It was not exactly easy, but the steering valve is a nice fit, even the splines are the same so you can use the original steering wheel.

fireman

AS USUAL:

:woohoo::D :ROTF:

whlpny

Hi Ken, though we haven't met, I've seen some of the pcs you've made and I'm sure you pocess the skills to set up your own PS. I will look in my D's tomorrow, but I would imagine there is alot of room in the dash stand/tunnel once the original column is removed to fit a JD 300/400 series column/valve in there. I would grab a JD 5 port which gives you Power Beyond and tie in ahead of the mid/rear lift valve so the steering gets priority over the lift- the lifts will still work as normal when loader is off if you need to mow or use a belly blade. This is how I set my PS up on my C-195- I won't have a loader tractor EVER again without it. Also get a matching steer cylinder from a donor 300/400 JD - and make it fit underneath-I'm sure it will be an easy graft on. If you have any questions on how I did the C-195 its all in the post under Modifications- feel free to shoot me an email also!

jtmoyer

We fitted a power steering system from a John Deere 420 tractor, it works great! We now use one hand and a steering ball to control the tractor. Also, all the slop from the original linkage is gone.

It was not exactly easy, but the steering valve is a nice fit, even the splines are the same so you can use the original steering wheel.

i would love to see some photos. i just picked up a control valve and am thinking of the mounting bracket. i plan on using the mid lift cylinder to move the steering. since the d is set differently then the c's, ect. there should be only a mounting to be made for the cylinder. once i get to it i will post photos. but i would like to see some for ideas.

Ian928

This is the steering valve, we made up some simple brackets to mount it to the frame. The outer diameter of the shaft housing is identical to the one on the D, and as said, the shaft has the same diameter and splines, so we just simply used the original steering wheel. You can also see the extra hydraulic lines we had made up.

3309503046_24f28850ee_z.jpg

This is a simple schematic i made up to better understand how the 5-point valve should be connected to the system. It is exactly how Bob describes it, steering takes priority over the lift.

3300801094_3a65131ef3_o.jpg

We fitted the cylinder to the front left of the frame, and welded an ear to the front trunnion of the right wheel. We then cut and welded the leftover steering rods to make a adjustable rod between the wheels (using the original mounting points at the rear of both trunnions. I agree that it would have been easier to place the cylinder longitudinal and use the original steering bracket, but I was worried bout the amount of flex in this bracket. Also, the setup we use has less steering joints that can be loose...

4318234403_512ca668aa_z.jpg

I just realised that you probably have a separate hydraulic pump on your tractor for the loader? That would probably give even better results, as I was told on this forum that the pressure from the original pump is not very high.

fabricator2009

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Will give it a try.