Sign in to follow this  
DMESS

Fun with Pinky

DMESS

Two years ago when I bought my 310-8, I was only bringing it home for the 37" deck and Easy Twin bagger. I had big plans for putting the 37"/bagger combo on a 416-8 we had at the time and sending the 310 down the road. Naturally I learned real quick that 8" wheels/tires don't make for a happy fit with the crazy 37" deck so I canned that idea and got cozy with the 310-8. I wasn't interested in putting 6" inchers on a big ol' 416 to make it work.

Jump ahead to now and here I stand looking at this big ol' forward swept, beast of an axle on Pinky and the lightbulb went off! :whistle: So of course I HAD to try it!

SHHHHWING! It clears! :dunno:

520372.jpg

BUT, we got a lil' rubbage on the 10.5" inch meats. :WRS: This should be an easy fix, however.

520373.jpg

Can you even see it under there?

520374.jpg

52037.jpg

Other than the clearance issue with the right rear, it works like a dream and cuts FANTASTIC! :D To say that a 20 horse Onan can handle the 37" is the understatement of the year. It sounds like an F-16 sucking the shingles off your porch roof and you can pretty much drop the pto clutch like your side stepping the 3rd pedal on a big block muscle car. The 310 drops rpm and strains a little till it gets the blades up to speed. The 520 doesn't even recognize the fact that you moved the lever. Now I certainly don't know how accurate the "tach" is on these things, but with the hammer pegged the needle is rooted just past 4000 and it seems to be making some serious juice. I've run 16 horse single Kohlers, 17 and 19 horse Kohler twins, and 16 horse Onans. None of them seem to have the grunt this thing has and I can't accurately say how many hours are on it. If all the 520's run like this I understand why you guys like them!

Next come the bagger, but I'm almost afraid it will blow it off the back of the tractor! :D

KyBlue

Getting the clippings into the bag shouldnt be much of a problem...now keeping them in there... might be! haha

T-Mo

Nice, Dustin. But it looks like the right rear tire is going to crush that gauge wheel. :whistle:

DMESS

T Mo it would catch it on the right turns and make it drag a little, leaving a nice tear in the sod where the wheel slid. It was more of a "could it work" experiment since I can't recall ever seeing a 37" SD on a 520. Not exactly your most popular combo! 9.50 rears would clear, but the 10.50's are just too wide for this little guy. It did mow quite awsome, but the 310 is honestly more manuverable and better suited to my lawn.

In case anyone is curious, the C-195 60" deck IS NOT a very good companion for a 520 unless you like to shave your lawn. It simply is not designed for the architecture of the 520 and gets pushed into the ground on the high spots. The rear lift points of the deck hit the floor boards and don't allow the deck to float properly. On the tractor it was designed for it works very well!

kj4kicks

Dustin, you're killin' me here ! :whistle:

What are you doing to that poor 520 ? If you keep insulting it with those toy attachments, it may not even start anymore.

The trailer is still hooked up, so let me know when I can drop by to save Pinky from her tiny deck-itis.

baerpath

If you use that 37inch and don't need that 60 inch deck I could give it a good home :whistle::WRS:

Duane

DMESS

If you wash a black stripe hard enough look what happens! :whistle::WRS:

pinkymaroon.jpg

DMESS

If you use that 37inch and don't need that 60 inch deck I could give it a good home :whistle::WRS:

Duane

Duane I need one for each Super C in case I need to get the lawn cut in 4 seconds. :D

whlpny

Hey Dustin- I had the same experience with my 520h. It had a 42 in RD that came with it, the first time I used it, I couldn't believe that anyone woulda bought less than a 48in to go under there. WOW- it sounded like I was cutting grass with a jet turbine! Both of my 520 Onans run the same way- they rev hard and high and put out alot of torque. I moved alot of dirt last fall with my 520 and FEL and ran the tractor fast as I was moving it quite a distance and didn't want to waste alot of time. With 600lbs of counter balance, plus my extra 200lbs, that thing just dug right into the sod covered pile I was removing. The onan performed excellent!

T-Mo

If you wash a black stripe hard enough look what happens! :whistle::D

It looks as though the deck grew a few inches. :WRS: