Sign in to follow this  
rueger-99

Suburban ??

rueger-99

I saw this on the side of the road today....Looks like a lawn ornament, but I thought if I asked the owner might be willing to sell it. :hide: Looking at the pictures can anyone tell me exactly what I was looking at? Why does it have a knob on each side of the steering shaft and also two levers on the dash? It's all rusty but not rotted, the gas tank has some liquid in it (my guess is water), has a plow, seat was on the ground behind tractor and the motor was initially stuck but broke free turning by hand. I didn't try to move it so the tranny is unknown.

What would you guys offer to buy this? Should I even bother?

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

puddlejumper

I am going to say its a 60 suburban with 61 style choke and throttle cables added later in its life. It is definitly worth grabbing if just for the choke and throttle controls. Actually there is quite a few goodies setting there.

Toejam

Never hurts to ask but dont act to excited while talking to the owner, they could pick up on that and charge you a bundle. I would low ball the owner at $50 and see where it goes from there. Good luck! :hide:

wallfish

I am going to say its a 60 suburban with 61 style choke and throttle cables added later in its life. It is definitly worth grabbing if just for the choke and throttle controls. Actually there is quite a few goodies setting there.

X2

corn53

:WRS: Looks like its almost all there!!! I`d jump at it. :hide:

VinsRJ

Looks to be a 60 to me too.... If there is water in the tank, then theres water in the trans.

evanloock

It appears to be 1960 550, if the engine is original (appears the carb has been changed). If you buy it I will buy the plate and pulley under the engine from you to offset your cost. It is from a WT-30 tiller. An attachment that I have.

evanloock

And it looks like the original exhaust pipe is in that mess they have plumbed up as well. There are some good parts still on that machine. The serial/shift plate is even there, albeit rusty.

rueger-99

It appears to be 1960 550, if the engine is original (appears the carb has been changed). If you buy it I will buy the plate and pulley under the engine from you to offset your cost. It is from a WT-30 tiller. An attachment that I have.

How can you tell the carb has been changed? What engine is this anyway?

IMG_0173.jpg

puddlejumper

That is not the original h55 engine its a h60 and evan was refering to the fact that a 1960 550 had a tillitson updraft carb.

That could be the original blower housing and starter cup from the h55 .But the decal doesnt appear to be right.

evanloock

Looking at that pic.....probably not the original engine. Has a fuel pump and the decal is the same as the one on this 653 shown in the pic archive. Possibly a H60? Looks like the engine ID plate is this there so ID'ing the engine shouldn't be a problem; unless as puddlejumper suggested, the blower housing is from the original engine. However, I bet closer inspection will show that decal has a "6" on the right side as does the one on the H60 on the 653 shown in the link below. Either way...the engine fits and they didn't hack the hood to place another engine on the tractor....so that is certainly a plus. As I don't see any evidence of where a solenoid was mounted on the tool box, this very well may be a Suburban 400 which would have had a 4hp Kohler K-91 31388A engine.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8585

mattd860

That is definitely a 1960 Suburban 550 without a doubt. But, as many have said - it is not the original motor. HOWEVER, I am 99% sure that is the Lauson H55D motor that is original to the 1961 Suburban 551.

1960 Suburban 550's had the Lauson H55A, H55B, and H55C motors which had the Tilloston updraft carbs. The 1961 Suburban 551 had the upgraded H55D motor which has a different carb, carb linkage, and governor linkage.

I also have a Tecumseh H60 motor and the carb and linkage look different than the motor in the pictures above. Regarding the fuel pump - all the Suburban H55 motors have a manifold on the engine block to mount a fuel pump if someone wanted to. Anyone could have added one.

That Suburban is gorgeous in my opinion and I would definitely pick it up. I paid around $300 for mine and it was in similar condition however being that this one is just a lawn ornament, I doubt the current owner realizes the value. I would try offering $50-$150. The only to pieces it's missing are the exhaust heat shield and the belt guard both of which can be found on ebay. A few other items like the kill switch and the lights have also been custom added and should be removed.

Eriks Red horse herd

Why O Why!! Do people put those Dang head lights on the front of the hood. Thats the third set I've seen like that. I have a 55 pond no name hood that they did the same to except mine they dinted the hood in so they lay flat. Why can't any one leave a good hood alone! :hide:

Nice I'd say 400 With Lausen h55-h 60 implant. ****** that puppy up before some one else does!!!

evanloock

That is not a H55D-2113 used on the 551 as it has a fuel pump. The H55B-1170 and H55D-2113 have the fuel pump mounting cast into the block, but it is not machined to accept a fuel pump (window for actuating arm nor threaded holes to mount the pump). They used a different block than those with a fuel pump. Additionally, without any evidence of the solenoid or attaching hardware for the battery, or associated wear in the tool box where the battery was located....THE ONLY WAY TO TELL IF THIS WAS A 550 WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL ENGINE IS BY THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE TRACTOR!!!

Also the 1960 Suburban 550 used a H55B-1170 engine, not a H55A or H55C.

puddlejumper

Guys you can see the engine case under the output shaft. It doesnt have the boss casting for the positive pressure oil pump. It is not a h55 or ht55 from any year.

99.99999999% chance its a h60 replacement

Kelly

I agree with Mitch on the not being a Lauson H55, it does not have the oil pump boss in the side cover.