Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Another project begins

Kelly

Well I have been working on my 195 project and trying to get it done for the MI show in Aug. when last week my Daughter quietly asked are you going to be able to get my tractor done? well I have put it off for 2 years after building my boys tractors, she has been using my 1075 to drive at the shows, and never complained, well I told her yes I will get yours done, so we went out and dug one out of the lot, that she liked, it's a pretty clean 857 I used the engine last year for another project, but I have a good running 875 that will give up the engine for this one, she does not want ag tires, and I have a new set of turfs already, I got my decals ordered and a few other parts that was needed, and it's all tore down, ready to be sand blasted, it needs very little it is a solid tractor with little ware on it, I think for my little girl (she is 15) it is going to get a candy apple red paint job, I found a local plater that does Zinc plating cheap so I'm going to try him out, and plate some stuff, I have about 6 weeks to get this done, and try to get the 195 done, along with everyday stuff.

Anyway here is what I started with and where it's at, now, I did clean casting lines up, deburr parts, ruff out the sheet metal and check everything over, I'm cheating on the blasting I have a buddy that owes me so he is doing 80% of that.

100_3663.jpg

100_3664.jpg

100_3665.jpg

100_3671.jpg

312Hydro

Looks like a great start and candy apple red will look nice. Sure is a straight tractor. Will your daughter be involved putting it back together? Nothing like a project to build lasting memories. :hide:

AMC RULES

I can't wait to see that paint job. If the plater does nice work, you'll have to share his contact info too. I'd like to get my 520 hardware all redone at some point in the near future. :hide:

sorekiwi

Thats a nice straight tractor that you are starting with. Cant wait to see this one, it will be awesome!

Kelly

Got decals in the mail, new choke and throttle cables, think I have the color picked out, went to our shops paint supply co. and looked at color charts out in the sun for a hour, it is going to be a bit darker with metal flake (not big stuff), and pearl, not cheap stuff to say the least, I will have more in the paint than I paid for most of my tractors.

It is a clean tractor the hood is junk, well it could be fixed but, why I have much better.

I spent a hour getting the brake drum off, lots of heat, pry bars till it came out far enough to get the puller arms behind it, then used the impact wrench on it till it came off, never had one that hard, the hubs came right off with a few love taps, even the hitch pin came out with the air hammer and a blunt punch.

Duff

Kelly, if you have a daughter who's 15 and still interested in tractors in this day and age, you are a blessed man indeed- and a darned good father. My hat is off to you, sir! :hide:

Duff :WRS: :)

Horse'n Around

Kelly, if you have a daughter who's 15 and still interested in tractors in this day and age, you are a blessed man indeed- and a darned good father. My hat is off to you, sir! :hide:

Duff :WRS::)

Well said Duff! Its such a wonderful thing to be able to share a hobby or passion with your family.

John

Kelly

She is a great kid, 4.0 student, on the national honor roll, taking collage class's at another school, and she helps a ton at the MI. WH show, big into sports, this is the least I can do for her.

smoreau

I agree with you on that one Kelly. All your kids are great! You have a very nice family, and it shows every time I get out to your place. :hide:

SousaKerry

Ditto on the contact info for the plater I used to have some contacts a few years ago when I worked for another company in Jackson but I almost afraid to open up that old wound.

Now if only I could get the guy who runs the chrome room here at work interested in wheel horses, unfortunately there is a very strict policy in place about government work in the plating room due to abuse several years back. :hide:

sgtsampay

Wow, you are supper lucky sir. Wow, a 15year old girl like that? Wow.

Kelly

I've been slowly plugging away at this project, I had a buddy do some of the blasting for me, and got it back sat, I'm picky so I touched up what he did, but it saved hours having the stuff done, I also bought a blast cabinet last week, to do little stuff, I think I can do a rear wheel in it, anyway, with everything blasted small dents repaired and a couple cracks fixed, turned a tucky belt guard in to a kohler one, and I was ready for primer today, I still have more to do but this is the bulk of it, I wanted to blast the trans. but it is a pain to do flipping it this way and that way, so I took a engine stand and drilled a couple holes, to bolt the trans to it, worked so good I did another to bolt the frame to, I should have done this years ago, makes life very easy and all sides accessible, I duck taped the seals when blasting the trans and re taped them for painting, I'll put my new seals in before paint, I strung everything up and primed them, perfect day 80deg low humidity, I waited till about 6pm to prime so it did not dry spray in the heat, and in 2 hours was dry to move inside, I love epoxy primers, I have a lot to do in 4 weeks but I work best under pressure.

here is pics like you all like.

Blasted and ready to prime

100_3702.jpg

best way to deal with a trans, and a frame.

100_3703.jpg

100_3704.jpg

All primed, ready for the fill primer next.

100_3709.jpg

100_3708.jpg

100_3707.jpg

massey

Looking good, another good idea for the idle engine stands.

Ken B

I can't wait to see this one done. A full rotisserie restoration! Sweet.

HorseFixer

Looks good Kelly! :woohoo:

Cheers ~Duke

:D

312Hydro

I LIKE the rotisserie! :D I'm gonna steal this one! I've been wrestling the tranny and it's not fun. Thanks for sharing :woohoo:

fabricator2009

Love the engine stand idea. :woohoo:

Martin

thats a great idea with the engine stand, kelly.

i was trying to come up with something when i did the trans on the 1054 but ended up just threading some bolts in the mount holes and standing it on end, that way i could at least walk around it and get everywhere i needed. another thought was to hang it from the engine hoist (cherry picker) but that was off buried in the corner of the garage.

CIMG0891.jpg

johnsr11

Thats looking real good! I would definitely like to see pictures of it when you are done. =D

theoldwizard1

All primed, ready for the fill primer next.

Filler primer on a chassis and trans ? This thing is going to be amazing !!

Operator

You are a good Dad!

clyde

:D :ROTF: thats going to look super nice kelly ! :woohoo: sure is nice to have super kids

KyBlue

tic toc tic toc -

Project looks like it's off to a great start! Have yet to see anything you do that doesnt turn out top shelf

71_Bronco

I'm very interested in how this come out. I was thinking about doing a slightly different hue of red for my Bronco, and would like to see how yours comes out.

Looks good, no places skimped. Keep it up, and make sure your daughter helps with the rebuild, she will cherish the memories of building her tractor with dad.

stevasaurus

I'll be looking forward to this at the show Kelly. :woohoo: Grey primer under the Candy Apple...are you using gold or silver metal flake underneath? Interested...does the color of the primer make a difference under this paint??? I had an old Honda Dream 150cc back in the 60's that I painted Candy Apple red with the gold metal flake...for rattle cans...it turned out really nice. I love that color. :D