Sign in to follow this  
hancox

518-H hunting throttle - pulling hair out

hancox

So, should I be able to blow air into the carb somewhat easily?

I can barely get a trickle at headache-inducing levels :whistle:

Every other hose works fine - bubbles in the tank. air passes through fuel pump, etc

hancox

So, my best guess is that something got stuck in the carb when I tried to start it at first post-hose-change.

I dropped about 2 tbsp of SeaFoam straight down the carb when I was charging the battery this AM (stupid me left the key in run overnight (doh).

Hooked the lines back up, turned the key, and wouldn't you know it, gas starts flowing.

I let it run a little while, did a smoke test with SeaFoam ( :whistle: ) , and proceeded to cut my lawn.

The tractor performed as well as it ever has for me, only one slight throttle bouncing session, but that was with the fan guard full of clippings. Turned it off, cleaned it off, and ran like a top again.

I'm thinking Dual Wheels NAILED this with the fuel lines (the one from tank to fuel pump looked old enough to be original), as I noticed a full fuel filter for the first time in forever. Barely a bubble in there.

I'll report back after a few more successful weeks, or a setback. Wish me luck!

Thanks guys for helping me, even if you were all drooling at the prospect of a cheap pick-up :WRS:

Docwheelhorse

Hi--I have a 520-8 and have the same problem. I had the carb professionally done and it runs mint and idles GREAT for about 3-5 hours run time (two months for me I guess...) then at idle it starts hunting and the only way to fix it is to take off the top of the carb and blow out everything and put it back together. That will get me another 3-5 hrs. It drives me nuts and generally I just bring the throttle a tad up and it smooths out. I have fresh filters and a clean tank. I guess the only way to fix it for good is to replace the carb :whistle: This tractor has a loader and I generally don't need to bring the motor much above idle to get my work done and I don't want to rev the motor up anyways. I want to keep those valve seats and this engine happy for as long as possible.

P.S.--thanks to Karl and Mike for letting me in the "pool" as a new member today. I promise not to "p" :WRS:

nylyon

Tony, good to see you here, took you long enough! Welcome to RedSquare . Great meeting you the other day.

:whistle:

hancox

So, my best guess is that something got stuck in the carb when I tried to start it at first post-hose-change.

I dropped about 2 tbsp of SeaFoam straight down the carb when I was charging the battery this AM (stupid me left the key in run overnight (doh).

Hooked the lines back up, turned the key, and wouldn't you know it, gas starts flowing.

I let it run a little while, did a smoke test with SeaFoam ( :whistle: ) , and proceeded to cut my lawn.

The tractor performed as well as it ever has for me, only one slight throttle bouncing session, but that was with the fan guard full of clippings. Turned it off, cleaned it off, and ran like a top again.

I'm thinking Dual Wheels NAILED this with the fuel lines (the one from tank to fuel pump looked old enough to be original), as I noticed a full fuel filter for the first time in forever. Barely a bubble in there.

I'll report back after a few more successful weeks, or a setback. Wish me luck!

Thanks guys for helping me, even if you were all drooling at the prospect of a cheap pick-up :thumbs:

So, bringing this thread back.

Same issue. I'm about to give up and just sell the thing. Have a Deere dealer within about 3 miles of me. :whistle:

Anyone with fresh ideas? Or, a good asking price?

Horse Fanatic

Sorry you're still having trouble, but looks like it ran fine for 6 months. I'd clean the carb again.

That brass fitting with the hose on the underside of the aircleaner sounds like an aircleaner from a 520-H and that hose went to the vacuum guage. If that's the case, not sure why you have that on your 518.

Bow_Extreme

I fought with my previous 520H with similiar problems. I replaced everything, fuel lines, filters, cleaned everything, etc. I had the same problem where you only see a bit of fuel in the filter at a time, something you would expect to see full, and to the day I sold it I never really figured it out. After a cold start and a couple minutes of warm up time, the throttle would not stay in a full throttle position. I noticed the load meter that comes std. on a 520H was reading over it's maximum load which I believe is 90%. Anything over 90%, the engine seems to govern itself back down to 90% or less even though it's not working anywhere near full throttle. After 10 minutes or sometimes less of mowing, it would work fine at or near full throttle and register only 90% on the load meter. I went thru everything and never found the cause of this problem. Infact I sold it with the problem and made the new owner well aware of the problem before hand. It was just an inconvienence more than anything. I did have a theory. There are 3 positions to run the governor spring in and it seemed to me that the throttle position and spring tension on the governor were causing a problem. I never replaced the spring or adjusted the position but I think this just may have been one of the problems. If it happens on the new one that I'm buying I vow to figure this out one way or another. It may even be something electrical but I just don't know. I replaced almost all the electronics related to this prior.

Rideawaysenior

PM sent

Bow_Extreme

If that pm answers the problem can I get on it too. :thumbs: