Sign in to follow this  
mudrunner

518 Won't start

mudrunner

HI there, I seem to have this problem More so when it's been sitting for a while. I can hear the solenoid click but it won't turn. I was told this was a problem but I don't see any postings. All switches must be working or I wouldn't even hear the solenoid. The battery was new 6 months ago and is trickled regularly. It will run if I can get'r to kick but to no avail. Last year I replaced the solenoid (which didn't help) put the old one back in and it started working again. It never starts the first time but after a few clicks some thing happens and it starts fine. I was just wondering if there was some known issue anybody could help me with. Thanks

linen beige

:WRS: This site is packed to the gills with very knowledgable, helpful people. We could help you more easily if we knew what model tractor you are having problems with, and what engine it has.:whistle: Model numbers are wonderful things also.

linen beige

Caught myself! :imstupid: Guess I should have paid more attention to the title of your post. I'm not that familiar with most of the newer 'Horses, but we've got some resident experts who should be able to help you.

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare You can check a couple of things. First, be sure that there is a good ground to the engine. You can take a pair of jumper cables from the (-) to the engine block and see if that helps the problem. Next check the connections to the starter be sure that it is tightly bolted to the engine and that the power lead is clean and tight. If all that checks out, the starter may have a dead spot. Try to jump from the (+) on the battery to the terminal on the starter, if nothing happens, then you have a bad starter.

Let us know how you make out and we can go from there.

:whistle:

:WRS:

mudrunner

Hi there, I have a 518H with the Mighty Onan 16 with what looks like ID#8G7052.

I cleaned and jumped the starter terminals this morning and it started up and ran fine but it won't restart unless I jump the terminals. Does this mean the starter is bad?

Rollerman

So you are basically by passing the starter circuit on the ignition system to get it to spin over?

If this is the case you may have a faulty safety switch preventing it from starting.

There are several on the later models that interupt the staring circuit if you try & start the tractor with the PTO on...off the seat, in gear, without the brake depressed, barefoot near power lines on Tuesdays, etc, etc.

Now if you try & start it with everything in it's place & the solenoid clicks....try tapping the starter lightly with a small hammer or similiar....lightly too...were not pounding nails here. :WRS:

If it kicks over then it may be the starter is weak or needs to be cleaned.

Good luck & keep us posted. :whistle:

mudrunner

Hi there, I didn't think the solenoid would click if a safety switch was the culprit. Was there a low oil switch on the 518? I did find a broken wire terminal coming off the outside leg this morning when cleaning the starter posts. I have been trying to find out where it's supposed to go but I can't get trough the Toro Maze like I used to.

Rollerman

I didn't think the solenoid would click if a safety switch was the culprit.

You got me.....

But I still sugest giveing the starter a light tap & see if it kicks over.

As far as a low oil switch...I really don't have an answer...not to familiar with that model.

I'm sure we have a member here with a 518 that may chime in later.

Oh and Mudrunner.... :whistle:

nylyon

My Onan 416 has a low oil switch. When it is giving problem, try to wiggle the shift lever. As far as I know only the shift lever and PTO (maybe low oil switch) will stop it from cranking over. The starter on the Onan has a built in solenoid and if you are jumping the terminals, than the starter and solenoid are working just fine.

mudrunner

Hello again, I have yet to be able to start the tractor without jumping the terminals. I Think I am looking at a new starter. I located what appears to be the oil switch on the back side of the motor but I am not sure how to test it. I also found out it's a 516 H not a 518 Duh !

<_<

Thanks to all for all your great suggestions.