Sign in to follow this  
SNYFIX

Toro to Stop Making Parts

SNYFIX

2015 will be when Toro stops making parts for Wheel Horse tractors. (10 years after discontinuing them). This according to what was told by a Toro dealer in our area.

Right now all remaining in-stock parts here is 25% Toro.com prices. Who knows after 2015 !!!

So get your parts NOW from any Toro dealer !!!

SNYFIX

--- and if you have a 5XI tractor for example, or a D-series, B-series, or any number besides, GET YOUR PARTS NOW !!!

farmcodan

What kinds of parts would you suggest stocking up on?

I have a '93 314-H that has been trouble free to this point.

Just found this site and have been reading everything I can about WH's.

thanks.

Kelly

I would stock up on WH only items shift boots, headlight lens for the C, maybe head light rings for the 300,400, 500 series, deck spindle housings, and other WH only items, Seals , belts, pulleys, bearings ect.... can be had after market, this means used parts will be going up in the future, as GOOD parts will be getting harder to find.

pfrederi

I picked up 2 shift boots from my dealer 2 weeks ago that he had ordered for me. One of them had a tear in it. The rubber was not very flexible. I think they are getting old. I guess Toro had not had any made up lately. I wonder if stock piling rubber items is rally a good idea as they may all ready be fairly old and will not improve with storage.

VinsRJ

Couldn't expect them to keep making the parts for ever.

And I agree, rubber parts could be trickie... it seems that most rubber parts for just about anything are junk from the get go.

stevebo

Opportunity knocks for the gifted at reproducing parts ....

Ken B

According to all the prophecies the world is supposed to end in 2012, so you are talking no Wheel Horse parts 3 full yrs. after people? Yep, ya better stock up! :hide:

galaxiejoe

Any parts for my 856 I should consider picking up?

jchart06

I picked up 2 shift boots from my dealer 2 weeks ago that he had ordered for me. One of them had a tear in it. The rubber was not very flexible. I think they are getting old. I guess Toro had not had any made up lately. I wonder if stock piling rubber items is rally a good idea as they may all ready be fairly old and will not improve with storage.

I do small engine repair on the side and I use a vaccum sealer for storing odd gaskets that I order in multi packs and such that I know the ods are itll be 3 or 4 years down the road before they are needed again. I have packs with seals o-rings and gaskets for my dads 3020 that we just got out last month, that looked as good as the day we sealed them 4-5 years ago.

rmaynard

If Toro stops selling Wheel Horse parts, then maybe some other manufacturer will finally start making a cheaper 1533 bearing for the transmissions.

SousaKerry

makes me wonder if Toro would be willing to sell of the rights to the line maybe an enterprising group of individuals could purchase the line and inventory :hide::WRS:

and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his JD when he hopped. :)

SNYFIX

makes me wonder if Toro would be willing to sell of the rights to the line maybe an enterprising group of individuals could purchase the line and inventory :hide::WRS:

and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his JD when he hopped. :)

It happened once when AMC sold it to the Munn Investment Group.

SNYFIX

I would stock up on WH only items shift boots, headlight lens for the C, maybe head light rings for the 300,400, 500 series, deck spindle housings, and other WH only items, Seals , belts, pulleys, bearings ect.... can be had after market, this means used parts will be going up in the future, as GOOD parts will be getting harder to find.

Kelly,

You have the makings of a good idea here. Would be a good idea for someone to start a WH junkyard of sorts. Just start acquiring good used tractors and stash them somewhere and sell parts off of them on a as needed basis. It would take some time but it could fund a comfortable retirement for someone. Same with buying up dealers parts stock!!

If you think about it, 2015 is only 4 years away !!

sawhorse

my guess is that parts will continue to be available as the market for them dictates. but the parts will come from china just like the late model volkswagen parts do.

Martin

Kelly,

You have the makings of a good idea here. Would be a good idea for someone to start a WH junkyard of sorts. Just start acquiring good used tractors and stash them somewhere and sell parts off of them on a as needed basis. It would take some time but it could fund a comfortable retirement for someone.

im sure there are some people on here already doing the wh used parts, stock piling tractor thing, i hate using 'junkyard'..... would i be right in saying you are one kelly?

i think you are right that it would make a ok retirement if what you are collecting, or buying up on, is sheltered and looked after properly, otherwise you would just have a bunch of rusted out tractors.

i have thought about it too, its an excellent idea, just dont have the room for it in town and until we move to a place with more land it aint gonna happen.

hm12460

I think this is a pretty sorry thing for Toro to do. It isn't often i need to buy a new part from Toro. The after market supply, and or Kohler, is pretty good. There are a lot of parts already discontinued and the stuff they do have is sometimes pretty high priced. I've been looking for a deck elbow for a 07-11BC01 (vintage 1990) bagger to no avail. I'm giving a lot of thought of going back to John Deere for all my outdoor power equipment. They have a much better parts supply. I expect used parts on e-bay will go up on account of this, and a lot more good tractor's will be parted out. I would hope some things will become available from the after market not currently available such as shifter boots, pto clutch disc's, gear shift knobs, steering wheels etc... Time will tell. Shame on you Toro. This is especially of concern for late model classic and 5xi owners.

If they stop making parts I don't think it's the end of the world for us. Far from it. This is a very resourceful bunch. I am confident we can find substitutes and work-around's as long as people enjoy running these tractors. When solutions are found - we can find and share them here. The tendency towards pandemonium isn't helping anybody price-wise either - even while parts are still being made. Shift boots? I think with all the knowledge here, we could sort that one out. What about all the stuff that is being made for other machinery? There's got to be something else that would work. Ford 9N boots are just as cheap for example - they look close - might not work, but the point is think outside the box a little. Isn't there something we could swap or make due with in place of the toro boot? Anyone done this?

Audioshot

Pure silicone grease (polydimethylsiloxane) is an excellent rubber preservative. Make sure there is no petroleum in it. Plumbers silicone grease is one example.

Kelly

Yes I have 50+ tractors I'm parting out right now, and a barn full of parts, just picked more up this weekend, I don't know about retiring on this but I could get by, parting tractors out if need be, but I sell alot of the same stuff off all the tractors so certain parts are gone fast, so I stock up on them when I can.

I know there is something out there that will work in the place of the shifter boot, but if you want to Restore a tractor it would be nice to have the right part, same with PTO clutch disk they can be refaced, maybe cheaper than the $50+ they get now for new ones.

SNYFIX

Many WH parts are'nt available now aftermarket so we seriously doubt there will be aftermarket parts available after WH discontinues making them.

We think many parts for the B/D-series would be an "Oh well" since the smaller B-seies sized tractors were made to compete with the "disposable" tractors of the day and not as many of the D-series sized tractors were made in comparison to the Classic tractors.

For the Classic tractors we think it would be better to concentrate on the attachments especially the mower decks. For the tractors the biggest selling part was the steering tie rods and the PTO parts such as the clutch plates and bearings.

The transmissions are quite indistructable and can be swapped out from a parts donor tractor way easier and cheaper then rebuilding.

For the mower decks (of all models) we'd consider stocking a new pan, (sheet steel), spindle housings and shafts. Most important would be the pulleys in the front tension box as they seem to be WH specific however at this time they are available aftermarket and we would recomend stocking a set.