Sign in to follow this  
igota310-8

Rust Protection?

igota310-8

On your Horse, what do you use?

I've used CLP and Kroil on a bunch of stuff around the House and Garden, Like Firearms, Tools, edged stuff etc.

Was thinking of putting a small amount on where the paint has worn off on the horse, 'til winter comes and I'll probably touch up the paint and do a small Teardown for maintenance.

So whats your Favourite?

Eric

Kelly

Watch what you put on the spots of rust, if you plan to touch up the paint later, as the paint might not stick, if you use a oil based what ever to hold the rust back, even cleaning it first you might still have problems.

I like a product called POR15 not cheap but works very good, they have it in a tube that you apply with a brush, a little thicker, and can be used as a seamsealer, but you need to put a top coat on it, it has no UV protection and will break down.

kpinnc

It may not look great Eric, but red oxide primer will stop the rust until you strip it later.

Rustoleum in rattle cans is about $4. If you're picky, you can buy it in a regular can and apply it with a small brush.

It's not pretty, but it works great, and when you do strip her down for paint, adhesion won't be an issue.

Kevin

PetesPonies

Red Oxide is a lacquer based paint and is porous. It allows moisture through it and offer absolutely no rust protection. I deal with rust all the time in my restoration business. I don't care for POR, but use a product called Master Series. However, for places where the finish is worn away and light rust is happening, you should get some phosphoric acid. It can be found easily now . .even at an Advance Auto. It is a greenish liquid. You apply it to the metal a could times. I use a scotch pad. It will eat the rustaway after as couple appicationss. It actually etches the metal for good adhesion under primer. It will leave a light protective coating that will keep rust away. If it starts to reappear, just do it again and it will be clean again. This will leave it perfect for painting when you get to it. I use it on all bare steel before my epoxy primer.

igota310-8

Thanks for all the great info, I think i'm going to try the Acid, really a interesting read.

Eric

HorseFixer

If you want to stop rust permanently the best product to use is POR-15 it is a

5 step process but can be painted over rusty metal. Its a little pricey but say goodbye to rust for good. They also have other restoration products for example a kit that fixes gas tanks that goes inside and seals them. They also make a product that fixes cracks in steering wheels among other things. I have used all of them with great success.

Duke

kpinnc

It allows moisture through it and offer absolutely no rust protection.

Well Pete, perhaps I should rephrase what I said earlier:

I have a few things around my shop (including tractors) that were sprayed with red oxide primer as a short-term protectant until I got around to blasting and painting them. One is a steel handrail that never saw paint now for over five years. Even though it is uncovered, it has never rusted a single speck.

And, not one tractor that was primed with the same thing has ever seen rust since.

If my information was incorrect, then that is my mistake. I have, however, had excellent results with it.

I do believe the original question made reference to a short term fix, with the intention of doing something more permanent later.

Kevin

Kelly

Kevin, if you are using red oxide from rustoleum that will keep rust a bay, now the lacquer prime is not made to be exposed to the elements, and will rust right through it.

kpinnc

I specified Rustoleum red oxide in a rattle can in the original post. The same mention of using it on the handrail was the same brand, from a quart can, applied with a brush. It has been more than 5 years, and no rust, even though there is nothing applied over it.

Perhaps I used something other than laquer, but it was red oxide.

Apparently, I just got lucky with what I used.

Kevin

Kelly

I was just backing you up about, Rustoleum being good stuff, I painted a trailer with, after just hand sanding it, and sprayed it on, rattle can, 14 years ago, and it still looks good, have hauled lots of stuff in it, home and to the scrap yards, sat outside the whole time.