Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

recommendations for a new horse

dgjks6

This may get a little long, but I am now a true wheel horse guy. I currently have a 312-8 with a 37 inch deck and a craftsman tractor with a 42 inch deck. I use the tractors to mow the yard and haul stuf, especially mulch that I spread 60 yards of each spring. My lot is also steeply sloped. What I would like to get is a 48 inch deck and a front loader. So my questions are:

1-can I modify the 312 for this. I have heard concerns about the 48 inch deck on 12 hp motor, and is there a way to put a loader on?

2-what about a 520

3-there is a D250 on ebay

What would you guys do. Price is a limit, but I would have to spend $1800/year to get someone to spread the mulch.

Thanks

Greg

nylyon

Your 312 is a good machine but I wouldn't put a loader on it. Since it is mulch you are looking at, you may want to look into a Johnny Bucket. It will mount onto your horse and I think that a 312-8 will be just fine for it. Best of all, you can buy a new one for much less than a loader and I hear they work great.

Upgrading to a 520 will give you the option of a 60" deck as well as the 42 and 48". They are still to be had, you need to shop around. They are a great tractor. If you want just a 48" deck, the 400 series or older C-series with 16HP engines will do great. They also have the heavier rear axles for heavier loads. My 416-H is a very strong well running beast.

For a loader you want at least a 416 with heavy duty front spindles. The 520 is even better. The D250 you mentioned, is a great tractor, but parts are hard to get and they are much larger than the typical garden tractor.

What you get all depends on your budget, but take a look at that Johnny Bucket. If I had the spare cash, I would own one.

Jim_M

I agree completely with everything Karl said. I would look for a C 160, 416, or 520 if you want a 48" deck. The D-250 is a large machine and not a great mowing tractor if you have to mow the sides of slopes.

The 416 or 520 will have a pressurized oil system and if you're mowing hills and slopes, you're better off to go that route so you don't starve your engine of oil.

I have a Johnny bucket with the electric actuator. It's not quite as handy as a loader, since it won't lift as high, but it's quicker to install and remove, that's something you will appreciate if you also need to mow with that tractor. It also takes less space to store it.

Curmudgeon

The recommendations for a 48" deck according to Wheel Horse is 12HP or larger. I ran one just fine with a 10HP Kohler K-241 on a Raider 10.

The 312 will run that deck just fine.

Todays "requirements" of 27HP for a 36" are ridiculous, it's just a marketing feature, bigger is better, and horsepower is a cheap way to ask for a lot more money. Either that or those big engines simply don't really make the advertised horsepower.

T-Mo

Amen, on that Dale. Who needs gas-sucking 27 hp just to mow a lawn? :whistle:

Rollerman

Who needs gas-sucking 27 hp just to mow a lawn?

Funny...My Dad has a 2 year old Craftsman with a big horsepower Kohler vert engine & 50" mulching "super sonic :WRS: " deck & he prefers to mow with the 23 year old 310-8 speed with a 42" SD deck I got him.

One of the reasons is he can cut twice with one tankfull on the Horse & can't complete one cut with the Craftsman.....Oh & he can wack a raised root or small rock with the Horse & not have to repair the tractor/deck too. :whistle:

And Greg your 312-8 will pull a 48" deck....it be happier with a 42" or smaller one.

Just don't let the grass grow knee high between cuts. :D

I'm currently useing a 312A with a 48" deck & you lose power with a hydro.

Just have to creep it slow when it's cutting hard.

Nick

The Johnny bucket as mentioned is a good choice for hauling mulch around the yard and they are easy to mount. Unless you leave a loader mounted the Johnny bucket would be more likely to get used than if you had to mount up a loader for every small job.

I assume you have the mulch delivered so lift hight with a fron scoop shouldn't be a problem. If you have to haul it yourself then use a trailer with a ramp gate and just drive up into the mulch to unload it. I did the same today loading dirt with a loader.

Loder video link

igota310-8

With the risk of sounding like a smartass, but I can spread mulch pretty fast with a regular dumping cart hooked up to my 310-8 and a shovel and a rake.

I'd like a FEL too, but really dont think I need one.

Of course I have no clue how big your situation is. So dont take my opinion for anything more than it is, an opinion.

:whistle::D:WRS:

Eric

Duff

Eric,

Greg said he spreads 60 yards of it (see original post). That's about six 10-wheeler loads if my memory serves me. Nothing I'd really want to tackle with a utility cart, shovel and rake! :whistle:

Deereman

igota310-8

Eric,

Greg said he spreads 60 yards of it (see original post). That's about six 10-wheeler loads if my memory serves me. Nothing I'd really want to tackle with a utility cart, shovel and rake! :whistle:

Deereman

Beer made me miss that...sorry.:WRS:

So how long would it take to do that all with a gardentractor FEL?

Eric

Duff

Beer made me miss that...sorry.:D

So how long would it take to do that all with a gardentractor FEL?

Eric

Darnedifino, but I'll bet it would take a heck of a lot longer by hand!

Cheers!

Deereman :whistle:

dgjks6

For the record, it is 60 yards, 30 of it on a sloped hill. It was delivered in 2 loads by something the size of a small semi. I used a wheel barrow for the front 30 and the horse and a dump trailer for part of the back. In some places I had to use a bucket and walk the mulch in. It took me about a week to spread it. My neighbor has a John Deere with a loader and it looked like it may be easier. The johnny bucket looks like an idea, but how much can you put in it? I can get about 10 cubic feet in the dump trailer. My big problem is that some of the spaces I drive are small and I can not back up with a trailer for squat. I should just learn to back up the right way.

I think you guys also convinced me to go with a 42inch deck.

now I just need to find one.

You guys also have me thinking about getting an old horse and restoring it with my son. He needs to do something besides playing HALO.

By the way, where and when in the wheel horse show that I see mentioned at the beginning?

Jim_M

This is the only picture I have of the Johnny bucket, but it should give you some idea of it's capacity.

416-H.jpg

Teddy da Bear

I see "swisher" makes a universal dump bucket for ATV's and tractors.

I wonder if anyone has tried to mount one on a horse?

catman81056

For the record, it is 60 yards, 30 of it on a sloped hill. It was delivered in 2 loads by something the size of a small semi. I used a wheel barrow for the front 30 and the horse and a dump trailer for part of the back. In some places I had to use a bucket and walk the mulch in. It took me about a week to spread it. My neighbor has a John Deere with a loader and it looked like it may be easier. The johnny bucket looks like an idea, but how much can you put in it? I can get about 10 cubic feet in the dump trailer. My big problem is that some of the spaces I drive are small and I can not back up with a trailer for squat. I should just learn to back up the right way.

I think you guys also convinced me to go with a 42inch deck.

now I just need to find one.

You guys also have me thinking about getting an old horse and restoring it with my son. He needs to do something besides playing HALO.

By the way, where and when in the wheel horse show that I see mentioned at the beginning?

Go to the main page, at the bottom you'll see "2008 WHCC" click on that and you will be "knowed up" on the show :whistle:

PetesPonies

cool video Nick . . neat to see you work that tractor hard. I wish I had that bucket.

Has anyone seen a Johnny Bucket on an older Wheel Horse ?? like an 854 ?