Sign in to follow this  
Raider

1968 Raider and implements

Raider

Hi all, I recently bought a Raider with a snowblower and mower deck and would like to ID everything positively and source a couple replacement parts if possible.

First, the tractor is model 1 6931. From what I can tell this is a 1968 Raider 9. The engine is a Tecumseh HH100 which I understand is a 10hp. If so why is the tractor referred to as a Raider 9 and not Raider 10?? This engine has had a replacement shortblock from Tecumseh installed (SBH-225) and runs really nice.

The snowblower is a WheelHorse ST 376, 37" and is in decent shape. I am pleased with how easy it is to install and remove the blower.

The 3 blade mower I can't put my finger on however. There is a metal tag under a bolt that has a few different numbers on it but it has been painted and is partly covered. I couldn't successfully look up any of the numbers on Toro's site. Were there aftermarket decks that fit? The numbers from the tag are 36MS01; 0271; 7342. The deck is solid but has had some patches welded in the past.

I need a new brake band or liner for the tractor since the shoe apparently fell out and was lost so I have no brakes. Is this part easy to come by?

I'd like to add headlights to the tractor for blowing snow. I can tell the lights in the hood would never cut it and thought the sealed beam, rubber encased lights that are used all over ag implements would work well if mounted like people typically do on the upper corners of the hood. I see WheelHorse light kit was a little more elaborate but rare. I would have no trouble mounting the sealed lights but hesitate if it would stand out as a hack job in the WheelHorse crowd :WRS:

I also need to buy or make up a hitch or adaptor that I can tug boats and trailers around with. It seems that if I just slide a bar with a ball on it into the exsiting hitch that a lot of potential weight could be put on the lift mechanism and the cable looks to me like a sort of weak link in that case.

Lastly (whew), I see referrals to the transmissions as 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 6 speeds and 8 speeds. I've got 3 forward, one reverse and hi/lo ranges. Are the 4 and 8 speed referrals to tractors of this vintage counting reverse? I assume the 6 and 8 speed is just derived by counting each gear twice due to the two ranges.

I am mechanically inclined, have good tools and a welder and am not afriad to take something apart and get dirty to fix it if I need to or want to. I will get a picture or two of the tractor once it quits raining here. Thanks for reading and catching me up on my new tractor... I'm already looking around for another... :whistle:

T-Mo

Having 3 forward speeds, 1 reverse and a hi/lo range makes it a 8 speed. On the mower deck, the 36MS portion makes it a 36 inch, mid-mount side discharge deck. There should be a 2 digit number preceding that though which would indicate year and product category. I would say that the deck is could be a Wheel Horse deck, but not the orginal one.

Jim_M

I probably have the brake band, post a picture of yours just to be sure.

Be careful mounting lights on your tractor, if you use sealed beams that draw more amps than your charging system can replace you could end up with a dead battery before you're done working.

Raider

Thanks for the info. I took a few pictures but forgot to get one of the brake band. I found some new ones for sale on ebay though and will likely order one up soon (they're a bit pricey IMO at over 40 bucks).

My mower and blower are pictured below as well as a crack in the upright that the lift lever is mounted to. I think I can weld this up and make it look as though it never happened. I imagine cracking here can't be too uncommon on a manual lift tractor.

How many amps is the charging circuit on this machine? Is the Raider considered a long or short frame?

wh02.JPG

wh09.JPG

wh13.JPG

wh06.JPG

wh15.JPG

wh16.JPG

perry

:WRS:

i had one crack at the same spot as your lift arm. easy weld job to fix it.

now as for your lights. i would not drill holes into the hood. your tractor looks to be in good shape. and that seat looks nice also. :whistle: . some of the guys here have been replaceing the old lights with newer style ones in the hood slot.

perry

here is a example of some aftermarket lights installed on one of our memebers tractors.

if you search the forums there is some post that cover headlights and different style rear hitch's.

P5280036.JPG

Raider

Yes, after looking at it more closely I don't think I want to drill holes in the hood. I may however build a bracket similar to those I've seen from WheelHorse and mount it at the front motor mount. I could make that easily removeable with a plug-in harness also.

The lights inside the hood looks nice though...

Thanks for the suggestions :whistle:

nylyon

That's a decent Raider you have there. Looks like the chain on the blower needs some attention though.

kj4kicks

You could also just replace the stock #1156 bulbs in the headlights with 35 watt halogen replacement units, available at most auto parts stores. Less than $15, and you'll be able to see much better!

The lights in the C520 required a welded in bracket for them to mount to.

Kelly

Not a bad looking Raider you have there :whistle: , It is a long frame tractor.

I'd try the halogen bulbs first, they run cool so should not hurt your lens.

I see someone put a T-bar on it,the thing hanging down under the tractor, to hook to the newer style decks. that you have. Do you have the front quick attach bracket to mount the mule drive? you can build one if not, there is a post on here on how to do it.

perry

I could make that easily removeable with a plug-in harness also.

Thanks for the suggestions :whistle:

my 877 has no place for headlights in the hood. so for the winter plowing i take a piece of rubber pad and then i bungee cord a susuki quad light to the hood. and use a quick connect harnes. quick and easy.

some day i need to make me up the original old style light bars. :WRS:

Kelly

Not someday just do it. Perry

Raider

Not a bad looking Raider you have there :whistle: , It is a long frame tractor.

I'd try the halogen bulbs first, they run cool so should not hurt your lens.

I see someone put a T-bar on it,the thing hanging down under the tractor, to hook to the newer style decks. that you have. Do you have the front quick attach bracket to mount the mule drive? you can build one if not, there is a post on here on how to do it.

Does this relate to what you are talking about? I don't have any quick attach anything I don't think but I was really surprised at how easy the snowblower goes on and off. Years back I was using a Montgomery Wards garden tractor to blow snow and it took a long time to get the blower on and operating. That thing was a real brute though!

wh14.JPG

Raider

Thanks for the compliments everyone :whistle: I am pleased with the Raider so far but there are a lot of little things that need attention. Still pretty solid after 40 years! The blower chain needs to be replaced outright IMO. I also need to find out just how the chute rotator should be connected because the cord on there looks cobbled and doesn't work.

Oh the list goes on too. I'd like new chains and some wheel weights, a hitch for boat trailers, go through and tighten everything that rattles and rubs, all that good stuff. I have not decided if I want to paint it and get new decals or keep it's present patina. Sometimes an aged machine like this looks good with an oiling or waxing, it looks like it has a history.

HorseFixer

Nice Looking Raider! :whistle: That most deffinatley will get the job done with whyatever you have to do! Its very straight and restorable if you choose that option also! :WRS:

Cheers Duke

wh500special

I'd like to add headlights to the tractor for blowing snow. I can tell the lights in the hood would never cut it and thought the sealed beam, rubber encased lights that are used all over ag implements would work well if mounted like people typically do on the upper corners of the hood. I see WheelHorse light kit was a little more elaborate but rare. I would have no trouble mounting the sealed lights but hesitate if it would stand out as a hack job in the WheelHorse crowd :whistle:

You could mount the lights directly to the snow thrower housing...would save you the work of fabbing something new and the need to drill the hood.

Your tractor looks nice. I'd personally leave it in original condition...you can never "make" one original.

Steve

Raider

That's a good idea mounting the lights on the blower as long as they're high enough to clear the deep stuff. I think I'll clean the tractor up real good and oil the sheetmetal to see how I like it. I will have to paint the part that needs welding though.

wh500special

I had lights mounted on a D-thrower and they worked well. Never had deep enough snow to render them ineffective, but you'll have bigger problems to worry about if you get such a white torrent!

I did learn that you will also need to connect a ground wire from the thrower to the tractor...can't rely solely on metal to metal contact in the hitch.

Good luck!

Steve