Sign in to follow this  
312Hydro

The Road to Redemption

312Hydro

Hi All! Some background info :In 1990 I bought my first and only :beer: . At the time ,I lived in town with a small yard. I wanted a 520H, but really,I could push mow my yard if I wanted. So, I bought a 312H with v bar chains ,37" deck and 42" snow plow. It was a fine machine! I polished it , washed it ,really took care of it. Then a funny thing happened,life moved on. Two boys,built a new house (on almost 2 acres), other obligations. I'm not proud of what I let my faithful :) become, a shadow of it's former glory....

WARNING: Graphic picture to follow!

d9260a57.jpg

Please! Don't be quick to judge my heinous ways! Don't rush to withdraw my forum membership! I don't know what became of me to heap this terrible neglect on my faithful horse! :disgust:

WARNING: Another graphic picture to follow!

87b29109.jpg

Fortunately, I found this forum! :) At first it was just to find some part numbers. Then it became something more. Looking at all the fine :offtopic: restorations,the pride members took in bringing old iron back to life, :hide: I'd like to tell you that I was inspired. Nay, a feeling of utter shame swept over me. What have I done,WHAT HAVE I DONE! :hide:

I'm about to right a wrong,make amends,do the right thing. I want to be the owner my :thanks: started with but who lost his way! With your help,yes,you the members of RS,I can achieve redemption . I can make my :ROTF: proud to be owned by me again!

But how can I? I use my WH every week to cut grass. How can I do what YOU have done and are doing to your valiant steeds?

By doing it bass ackwards and in a 6 day time block,that's how! :WRS:

I will concentrate on 1 part at a time. Because I need my horse to mow, I have 6 days from the day I mow to restore that 1 part.

My plan is to show you what I'm doing and if you know a better way,Please post it up.

I will ask questions.I will respect your suggestions. I will modify it if I can make it a better WH .The goal is to get that part back on the Horse for next week. I figure in the fall I can tackle the frame and motor .Who knows where this will end? And when?

More to follow.........

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

no problem - that will all buff out !!

farmer

Great start to a thread, I look foward to following along.

Don't be to hard on yourself, from the pictures it doesn't look like you've beat it :disgust: I don't like to knock :WRS: but lets be honest...their paint finish is cr@p..... someone else must paint their wheels. :hide:

I'm sure a lot of members would get a stand in while the work gets done, but your way sounds "fun". Your neighbours will be able to watch your tractor morph during the summer, good luck. :)

HorseFixer

Hey nice looking machine, Just needs a set of new tires and seat and yer back in busness! :) okay okay maybe a little touch up! :hide: Good luck with her.

Cheers ~Duke

:WRS:

Kelly

Nothing a little touch up paint will not fix.

And use a gallon can with a 4" house brush.

VinsRJ

It

Duff

Great story - I'll be following your progress with interest! (Says he who himself has a mower deck in pieces and is painting about one part per week.....).

Duff :hide:

neil

just like to say :hide: from us all in :WRS:

as you flick through some of the old posts on this site you will see many pics of fantastic looking :) machines with shiney paintwork ,

everyone here is very passionate about there tractors and have spent many hours restoring them to an excellent standard & in many cases better that new condition, but rest assured that most of the lovely looking tractors that you will see on the pics many were in a similar looking condition to yours. and when you have completed yours , im sur your embarrassment will soon turn to pride.

Good luck with you forthcoming project and do hesitate to ask questions as you have found a wonderful site with really nice & helpful people

312Hydro

Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement! Evidently my membership wasn't pulled so I'm still here! :hide:

Posting some pics of Part One- The Hood :

59a0aadf.jpg

Had to grind one bolt off before I could remove it.

2a336894.jpg

I removed the decals carefully so I can get them reproduced:

848f47f6.jpg

I still have original paint! Maybe I could buff the rest out! :WRS:

Put them on a sheet so I can send them to Vinyl Guy.

fe17e84e.jpg

Mattsbigbendtrip2010Diningroompics025.jpg

See that big rust spot? It used to be a sticker that said"Baja Tough" in cool yellow letters,

Questions for you: I can media blast the hood. But what about the rust in the seam on top of the hood? E-tank? Will the E tank get the rust inside where the lights are?

ebc78ec3.jpg

I figure I have a day to decide.I'm also thinking about replacing the rusted plate where the bolts hold the hood on.

46fe255f.jpg

I guess Parts Tree will be my new best friend. I need the rod and bushings to mount the hood.

That's it for now,I'll update again later. Going out to get some parts at the "Big Box" store1

Operator

But if you had a second :WRS: to mow with then you could really take your time. :hide:

chris11

You can stay as long as you dont paint it green :hide:

can whlvr

to answer the etank question,yes it will get thre rust everywhere,i usually power wash the parts after and then its ready to go,once it dries of coarse

Horse'n Around

Don't beat yourself up over it. Just look at it this way, once its all done it will look new again and in the process you will have a blast doing it. Its a win-win situation .

Im looking forward to watching the progress and transformation.

John

312Hydro

But if you had a second :) to mow with then you could really take your time. :WRS:

Still have an eye out for that one 520H. Don't tell the 312H though :hide:

312Hydro

You can stay as long as you dont paint it green :hide:

Funny you should mention paint. I've had this quart since 1997,never opened it.

Mattsbigbendtrip2010Diningroompics003.jpg

I think a quart will be enough if I use an HVLP gun.

Although I really like the (Ferrari red ?) I saw on one of the tractors here.

312Hydro

to answer the etank question,yes it will get thre rust everywhere,i usually power wash the parts after and then its ready to go,once it dries of coarse

Thanks for your input. I read on the forums that the e tank only removes rust in "a line of sight" Does that mean if a rod isn't facing the right way some rust won"t be removed? I have a barrel that I think the hood will fit in. Gonna check.

312Hydro

Im looking forward to watching the progress and transformation.

John

My wife is eagerly anticipating the finish of this project! :hide:

dobeleo

here is what i started with:

100_0066.jpg

Little elbow grease and you will have it looking great!

My wife doesnt understand why I want to get another one already.

312Hydro

here is what i started with:

100_0066.jpg

Little elbow grease and you will have it looking great!

My wife doesnt understand why I want to get another one already.

Wow! Where's the rest? At least you saved one. :hide: I'm trying to save mine from my neglect :WRS:

312Hydro

Worked on getting the inside brace and rusted bottom plate out.b785d78a.jpg

c130085e.jpg

I'm going to make the bottom plate tomorrow. I think I'm going to sand blast the hood too and see how the top seam cleans up.Then weld in the brace and plate. Going to use a self etching primer and a high buildup primer to smooth out the hood. I see wet sanding in my future.Do you think I'll have problems later with that seam?

dobeleo

Here is it now, little more to go!

WheelHorse312-ASide.jpg

312Hydro

Here is it now, little more to go!

WheelHorse312-ASide.jpg

What a great resto you are doing! :hide: Did you have to find the rest of the parts or did you only have what you showed before? I would be happy if I can get it to look half as good as yours! Nice work!

chris11

I like the 312 model, i just picked up an 86 with 600 hours. I have some other tractors to restore, before i do another horse. Keep up the great work. :hide:

312Hydro

I like the 312 model, i just picked up an 86 with 600 hours. I have some other tractors to restore, before i do another horse. Keep up the great work. :hide:

Thanks Chris, Your puller is a real inspiration. It has that clean,street rod look. :WRS:

Hey dobeleo,I just noticed your muffler! Is that factory? I like shiny stuff! lol :)

312Hydro

Here's a few pics of the hood after sand blasting. Not quite done with it yet. Still need to remove a little more rust. Lots of pitting and a few holes in the bottom where the brace plate was. What a surprise :hide::WRS:

d3a16137.jpg

312e462e.jpg

fe0ca899.jpg

96019be2.jpg

Went to the local NAPA just as they were closing. talked to a fella as he was walking out and he told me he has a primer that etches and is a high fill. I will be seeing him tomorrow at better hours. Also picked up the 1/8 " steel for the hood brace plate at TSC. Looks like scattered t-storms til Sunday. Might be mowin' without the hood. I think my :) is morphing the wrong way! Won't my neighbors be pleased.:disgust: