JUSS10

FG300 kawasaki motor for a round hood

JUSS10

so a while back i saw an 8hp motor pop up on craigslist for $25. talked the seller said it ran fine and was used to run a hydraulic pump for his wood splitter till he replaced it with a larger engine. The engine is an FG300, bearings in the crank, aluminum block with steel sleeve, electronic ignition. i have both a 753 and 854 with strong motors but they smoke bad and need a rebuild. i was wondering if anyone knows anything about this motor as i can't find a ton of info or a manual for it online. it has the right shaft size and as you can see in the image it sits pretty good on the frame when the tank is removed. everything fit under the hood and the only real issue appears to be the air filter.

if anyone knows anything about this engine or has a good place to get some info that would be great. thanks

Justin

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0408-1.jpg

DSC_0409-1.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

So, did you ever get this Cow up and running Justin? :confusion-shrug:

JUSS10

Well the tractor that I had the engine in is in storage. The k181 tht came with the tractor is in need of a rebuild so this option is getting more and more tempting. Maybe this winter I'll get that tractor home and try and get this motor mounted in it. I'll have to figure out your carb clearance and cable routing but it seems like a solid motor...

JUSS10

So I'm going to revive this thread. The tractor pictured above is still in storage but my trusty 654 is in the garage as I was going to put a tecumseh 8hp on it but that didn't fit. I then remembered this engine and pulled it out. This one seems a lot more promising. It fits on the frame nice and clears everything with the hood on minus the air cleaner. I got an adapter plate laser cut out of 1/4" steel which got it to just thew right height to match the old engine. I need to punch the holes for the motor yet but wanted to wait till I had the engine mocked up on the plate for that. I made an exhaust "header" for it so I can screw a muffler on since one was missing and I am currently cutting a custom air cleaner that I hope will fit. I will post some photos tonight as I make more progress. 

Justin

JUSS10

quick photo of the prototype air cleaner I made. I just made it out of stacked pieces of laser cut acrylic. If it works I'll probably try and make it out of ABS. 

D0708CAA-CA29-434D-B1FE-80176414C3AE_zps

• Like 2

Zeek

Hmmm . . . that's pretty cool in the right application  :)

Pullstart

nice aircleaner! 

JUSS10

well the engine is on the frame on a new custom mount and aside from a few little miss steps it really looks like it will work well. Hope to get it all together tomorrow and running. 

(cell phone pics, sorry)

204B3D80-E2AE-4638-9E32-B4155A7D1DFE_zps

51DFF2FD-7CF5-4022-A184-3B95CA270311_zps

• Like 2

JUSS10

Got the engine mounted solid and rebuilt the carb. Fired on the second pull. Just need to get a keyway for the pulley and I'll give a shot driving it around. Need to figure out linkages as this motor was not intended to have cables hooked to it. May need to get a little creative on that. will post more pictures as progress is made. Hope to get it driving in the next few days. I've also been working out a way to add hydraulics to it now as well as I did some digging and have some cylinders and pumps laying around. We shall see....

JUSS10

Well I got the pulley mounted on the engine and bolted the belt guard back up. Rolled it out of the garage and fired it up. Got running decent and hopped on. Runs pretty good. The governor seems to work as it should and it climbed the hill in the front yard fine. Only issue was I couldn't run it off half choke for some reason. I didn't have an air cleaner on so maybe that has something to do with it. There is only one adjustment screw on carb and I'm not quite sure what its for. Turning it didn't seem to do much. May just run some seafoam through it and see if that clears it up. 

Justin

• Like 1