Sign in to follow this  
igota310-8

Carb Cleaner?

igota310-8

So my neighbours Toro Wheelhorse with a Kawasaki twin liquid cooled engine stopped running, basically only starts with the choke in full position and dies immediately under load. :whistle:

It seems to get plenty of gas, to a point that it threw a few drops on my hand while I had the cleaner off and he was running it with the choke on.

So I'm thinking somethings clogged in the Carb, and would like to try a cleaner before I take the damn thing apart.

I used Seafoam before, and Lucas, but only as a preventative solution, so what would/could/maybe/perhaps/posibbly/ work for this?

Thanks

Eric

Confused99

In my experience, there is nothing you can do except pull the carb apart and clean it. It's extremely easy and most likely you won't need any parts as long as you are careful and don't tear any gaskets. I have never been a big fan of the "Snake Oils" on the market today although I do use sea foam from time to time but not to clean a dirty carb.

Jason

sorekiwi

I have a 14hp Kohler that every now and again refuses to idle. Its the poor, ugly, neglected (and youngest!) member of the herd, so usually gets the rough and ready fix.

I pull the main jet needle out and the idle mixture screw out and blast through the orifices with carb clean (with the little plastic hose attached to the can) and that usually gets her purring again.

However that wont work on a carb all gummed up with varnish or water - they'll require a strip down and dip in one of the heavy duty cleaners.

I've heard good things about Klotz as a fuel stabiliser, cleaner and octane booster, but havent tried it.