Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

wheel horse tires

dgjks6

Hello all. This is my first post here after finding the website. I have a question for all of the experts out there. I have a 1987 312-8. Had it since new (well, it really is a hand me down from my parents). I also have a cheap craftsman. My problem is I have a steeply sloped yard and the horse gets stuck a lot. The cratsman does not. I figure I need a new set of tires for the horse, so what size?, where to purchase?, do they have a tube?, and finally what tread pattern will give me the best traction? I do mow with it, but I also do a lot of hauling of rocks, dirt, and mulch.

nwh1-0475

Hello and :whistle:

Tractor tread if the marks in the yard don't bother you. As far as size, the tires you have on there now should have a size on them.

Dustin

TT

:WRS: ,"dgjks6" !

If the tires on your 312 are the originals and not "worn out" (or rotten), they are actually a good all-purpose tread design. Adding ballast weight to the rear of your tractor is probably the best solution to your problem. Invest in a set of wheel weights and/or have the rear tires filled with liquid ballast. (windshield washer fluid works great)

Agricultural, or "V" bar treaded tires might help when traveling straight up or down a slope, but they aren't very good for traveling sideways across a slope. (which isn't recommended, but often can't be avoided.) They will also perform much better with added weight. :whistle:

CasualObserver

First :whistle:

Your tires are easily replaceable. Any farm/home store or even most tire shops should be able to get what you need. I'd go with TT's suggestion of adding weights or ballast before I'd change to a more aggressive tread. Most lawn and garden tires these days are designed to be very universal as far as their duties.

I don't know where you are, but I would start by trying to find a TSC, Farm & Fleet, Fleet/Farm, Rural King, Farm King, or Big R. I know that many of those stores carry your tires in stock, and if they don't they can certainly order them. If you don't have that kind of store locally, then try your local tire guy. Ask if he can get any lawn/garden tires. If all else fails, you can always order some online from places like Miller Tire, Cedar Rapids Tire or others.

Good luck, and once again. Welcome!

dgjks6

thanks guys

I'll get some weight

GlenPettit

Weight is best thing to have,

but Tire pressure is also a major factor:

dgjks6

If you would have suggested two horses a year ago I would have laughed at you. Now, I am seriously considering it. My 312-8 has only one malfunstion. The seat switch does not work, so I can get off and on quckly when hauling stuff. I may get something with a 48inch deck. I still can not decide between hydromatic and manual for mowing though.

Thanks guys,

Greg

nylyon

I never thought that I would have more than one either, but ya know, these things just grow on you. The manual vs. hydro is probably more of a personal preference. I prefer the hydro's you can control the ground speed much more effectively, and in the winter they sure lift the snow blower easier.

C-Series14

I have Ag tires on all my C-Series and they don't hurt the yard one bit. The traction that they have is worth every penny....

linen beige

:whistle: Add some weight to the wheels you have. If you don't want to invest in another WH,(maybe not now, but one day you WILL.) you can always get a second set of rims and have turfs on one set and lugs on another. Then you'll want chains, and dual wheel adapters, and.....

Teddy da Bear

Wow! if your tires are slipping on the slope. That must be some slope! :whistle:

I have a 45 degree angle slope to mow on. I go straight up and down to cut it.

The old horse pulls me up every time for each passing cut.

I have Carlisle Turf Saver tires. It is a pretty standard tire I believe. I don't like the Turf Saver II tires. Seems like a downgrade from the originals.

Mike

Niles, Mi

igota310-8

My 310-8 does very well on my slopes.

Hardly one part of my yard is perfectly flat, most of it is very steep, to the the point I'm not comfortable riding up it, but down goes just fine.

I have the standard Turfsavers.