Sign in to follow this  
BrianO

newbie here but proud owner.

BrianO

I've been looking for a late 50's early 60's wheel horse to restore. I just happen to mention it to a guy at work and 3 days later I find out this is sitting in his sisters garage. Well now it's in mine. I paid 150.00 which to me is a good price because I'm going to enjoy restoring it. I need a little help identifying model, year, best place to buy all new rubber.

Attached Image

post-3-1306732997.jpg

neil

Welcome to redsquare from the UK :hide:

i would say you have just bought a 1960 400 suburban

Nice looking machine . You will have some wonderful Hours restoring this little guy.

Nice find and @ a good price id say.

You will also find here that if you need any other help or you need a manual ,there are plaenty of people here to lend a hand :WRS:

AMC RULES

NICE! :hide: Good deal too. :WRS:

mavfreak

:hide:

Jake Kuhn

Nice find,I agree looks like a 400.The best place to buy tires is miller tire (www.millertire.com) :hide:

rueger-99

Nice Score!! Why can't I be this lucky?

wheelhorsec85

wow great price . also it looks like it was restored once already . there are no decal on her . and the deck is missing its guage wheels . id just clean it up and see what you got first . nice find thou . :WRS::hide::offtopic::):disgust::hide::beer: :)

c175inMA

:disgust: :hide::WRS: :)

VinsRJ

:WRS:

Nice score! :hide:

corn53

:WRS: :hide:

BrianO

Thanks for all the replies. Now that I have a better idea of the model I can get started. Yes it was restored before by the woman's father. It had great sentimental value to her but she just didn't have time to mess with it so it has been sitting for 5 years. I will post updates and I'm sure I will be asking questions.

smoreau

:hide: looks like a 1960 400, but there are a few ?'s there is something hanging of the back of the tractor that dose not look right, the deck is stamped steel and the box over the head on the engine, and the seat spring is on backwards, any way It looks like you got a great deal! and I got my new rubber for my 400 at Miller Tire, they look great and I'm very happy with them. Here is a pic

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

wallfish

Here's a link to the 400s in the picture gallery. That's a pretty good tractor to start with since it has the goodies like the belt guard and throttle controls. A member here sells the knobs you are missing for the controls.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=951

Horse'n Around

Howdy :hide: Congratulation on scoring a sweet :WRS:

John

Duff

:WRS: !

Nice looking machine!

Glad youv'e found us!

~Duff :hide:

stevasaurus

:WRS: I think that is a great find...looks nice and straight. I'll bet that there are some very jealous members looking at your post. Well done. :hide: