Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

Need help with purchase of a 5XI series tractor

CRE1992

Ok, heres the story, I am only 19, but I take care of my families farm that has been passed down from 5 generations. I need a mower to mow approx 3-5 acres. I have a brush hog that I use on a Massey Ferguson 50, Ford NAA, or John Deere 790, but it doesnt leave a nice cut, and they cost a hell of alot more to maintain and fill with fuel than a mower, and if someone asks me to mow there lawn I dont tear it all to hell with the big ag tires. I have been looking around lately and found 2- 5XI series tractors, one is a 523DXI with a 60" inch deck, and the other is a 520XI with a 44 inch deck. The 523DXI has 200 hours and the 520XI only has 200 hours also. The thing is the 523DXI is $3000 and the 520XI is $2500. I have a feeling I can get them a little lower. However being 19 and in college I will be buying something by myself with the money I earn from now to late summer, however I have to save up enough money to use during the two semesters at college. My parents reccomend I just buy a box store tractor for alot cheaper that have warranties, vs buying someone elses problem... Though the owners each claim they are mantained meticulously. Now if you were in my shoes, what would you do? What do you guys think of the 5XI series? and please make a list of pros and cons. What problems to look for before buying? And what do you also think about the prices?

Thanks in advance,

Charles Elliott

Duff

Hi, Charles,

Just wanted to say :) ! Unfortunately I don't know anything about 523DXI's but others here are sure to jump in with solid advice.

Hats off to you both for taking care of your family farm and working your way through college. :hide: I work at a college and the sense of entitlement that I see from many of our students is troubling - not all of them, for sure, but way too many. Sounds like your values and priorities are right where they should be.

Best wishes,

Duff :WRS:

CRE1992

Thanks Duff I appreciate it. I happen to live in Jersey, and it's funny that most kids I know are out and about, meanwhile I work 40+ hours a week and then take care of the farm. The farm is mostly plowed field, but since my grandfather passed away, we no longer have as big of an operation going on, leaving more and more fields to mow. By the way I do know what you mean, I have realized most of the kids my age don't have respect for money and are lazy, have no work ethic, or pride, I figure this is because their parents readily give them anything and nearly everything they want. I however have not been as fortunate, but I have to say I do have it better than most.

-Charles Elliott

corn53

:hide: I LIKE UR ATTITUDE!!!

knever3

By all means buy the 523dxi, it's water cooled and has power steering. I have the 520xi with the Kohler 20hp engine with no power steering. I wish it had it because it's heavy to turn. You will absolutely love the diesel engine I think. I saw a Ford with the diesel and it looked great. 200 hours awesome, mine has over 800 and it is in excellent shape. The only thing I wish is to find more accessories for it since they don't make them anymore. You will not be dissapointed they are a tough tractor indeed. Good luck and make sure to post pictures if you buy it!

mavfreak

:hide:

CRE1992

Believe me, I really want the 523, but buying that, and still having to pay for stuff for college scares me a little. Especially if something happens to it, I probably wouldn't be able to afford fixing it. And, yes I know power steering makes a huge difference, because the JD 790 which only weighs 3000lbs has it, and my 1958 Massey Ferguson 50 weighs in the neighborhood of 7000+lbs, (it's solid cast iron except for the tin and has fully loaded tires) does not have power steering, however being as I am young having to yank the steering wheel doesn't bother me much.

And thanks Corn :hide:

Thanks mavfreak

dgjks6

I know this is a wheel horse site, but I gotta suggest this. If it is just for mowing and you got $2000, get a new zero turn. The amount of time you will save will be huge.

I don't know much about the xi's, but everyone that posts about them seem to like them a lot.

CRE1992

The problem with having a zero turn, is that some of the property is mushy ground, and tires sink slightly, we have used a zero turn in the pass but they would sink and get stuck, I would rather have a garden tractor so I would be able tow something if needed. I have the opprotunity to buy a 2009 left over Simplicity champion for $2600 it comes with a three year warranty, but I was never very particular to zero turn. Plus we also haves some hills, and a cabin with 130 acres in the Catskills that my grandfather also left to us where I would like to bring it to mow occasionally.

whlpny

Charles- I have owned a 520 Lxi- with the 20hp liquid Kawasaki, and I currently own a 522xi with the 22hp Kohler. I never mowed with the 520- it was only used with a loader. I bought the 522 about 4 weeks ago and its a low hour machine. It has a 60 in deck under it. As far as I'm concerned it can't be beat for mowing. I have had numerous Wheelhorses and it ranks right at the top.Both of my units have had PS- and that is the top feature of the tractors along with the foot control hydro. I would say go the extra $500 and get the 523Dxi- I am sure in the long run you will be glad you did. You should get long life out of the diesel. Attachments aren't really the big deal that people make out of them. Look at the trans axle- the housing is standard WH- it accepts a quick-hitch and with a standard 520h extension you can run a long-frame wh snow plow. Also you are able to add a slot hitch and can use any WH rear ground engaging attachment. You will have mid and rear hydraulic lift.You will need the tractor specific snowblower for the front but they turn up frequently online. I have not set one up with a rear tiller- possibly a standard wh tiller will work with correct mule drive and belt configuration hardware. Maybe someone else can help with that info. Good luck with your purchase whatever it may be. I have 2 Kids in college and believe me- I know what it takes to go to school now days!

ArnoldZiffel

Hey,

I have an xi and I like it.

Around here NICE used 520xi's sell for $1500 - $2100. In my opinion a 520xi is a solid value. Much more tractor than anything at a big box store.

Power steering is nice but not necessary for mowing.

Whichever machine you settle on make sure you check-out the mowing deck carefully. This is where you'll start spending repair money. Is the deck solid, no serious rust? Is it quiet? Is it "sprung", you'll never get an even cut. Look over the rollers and wheels, worn out?

I've never given a zero turn much thought BUT with all of the rain this year I have an observation. Around our pond I've been unable to use the 520xi because it sinks into the turf and gets stuck. My neighbor has a large Ferris zero turn and he has kindly been mowing the perimeter of our pond. His machine is heavy but, perhaps due to wider tires, it does not sink in. A thought.

Good luck.

- Arnold Z.

CRE1992

Thanks for you input whlpny and ArnoldZiffel. :WRS:

The 523 would be only used for mowing, as the 2003? JD 790 has a front end loader, rototiller, and backhoe. The Massey and ford used to be used to pull plows, but with the rototiller getting in the ground a lot better we haven't used them. However the Massey is used to plow snow in the winter because it has a front hydraulic blade, and it was left to me by my grandfather because it was always my favorite tractor when I was younger. But the Ford NAA was left to my uncles, and it was my grandfathers prized possession. So I really couldn't get rid of those.

I really wish someone with a 523DXI would chime in here about it so I know what problems to look for. Also the tractors are about 3 and 4 hours away from me and in opposite directions, so I would rather decide on one before I look. :hide:

jpmcleod

As stated, this is a Wheel Horse site but I too have other brands of tractors as you do. I have a JD 790 with a 60 in finish bush hog and mow a little over twenty acres with it. It really give a smooth cut, so I wonder if your bush hog has a problem. Mine also have a 300 front loader on it and I take the bucket off when I mow to keep the weight towards the rear. I can mow all day with the 3 cylinder diesel Yanmar on less than 1/2 tank of fuel.

Any tractor you buy from TSC, Wal Mart or Lowes are junk and will never last for the amount of mowing you are doing.

I admire your determination and dedication to your family farm. We had 36 acres growing up and I couldn't wait to grow up and get on my own. I now wish I could go back to the farm.

Save your money and make the best with what you have. A new bush hog is only about $500.00 +/- and will last a long time and that JD 790 is a great tractor. I wish Wheel Hose produced a tractor that large I would not be operating a JD.

I have 10 Wheel Horse tractors and love them all, so I am not an avid JD person but you have to buy what fits you needs.

Good luck with your education, the farm and I admire you.

CRE1992

As stated, this is a Wheel Horse site but I too have other brands of tractors as you do. I have a JD 790 with a 60 in finish bush hog and mow a little over twenty acres with it. It really give a smooth cut, so I wonder if your bush hog has a problem. Mine also have a 300 front loader on it and I take the bucket off when I mow to keep the weight towards the rear. I can mow all day with the 3 cylinder diesel Yanmar on less than 1/2 tank of fuel.

Any tractor you buy from TSC, Wal Mart or Lowes are junk and will never last for the amount of mowing you are doing.

I admire your determination and dedication to your family farm. We had 36 acres growing up and I couldn't wait to grow up and get on my own. I now wish I could go back to the farm.

Save your money and make the best with what you have. A new bush hog is only about $500.00 +/- and will last a long time and that JD 790 is a great tractor. I wish Wheel Hose produced a tractor that large I would not be operating a JD.

I have 10 Wheel Horse tractors and love them all, so I am not an avid JD person but you have to buy what fits you needs.

Good luck with your education, the farm and I admire you.

Thanks, but the problem with using a brush hog is that the JD790 is not my tractor, it is my uncles, and if something was to break on it, while for some reason I was using it, it would have to be fixed. I do NOT have the money to fix that thing if something happens with it, so I would rather leave well enough alone and get something strictly for mowing, that I OWN, so that if something breaks, it would be okay for it to sit for a couple of weeks or so until I could afford repairs. My MF50 is currently in pieces, because I have been working on it, it needs a lot of work, it sat for 8 years before I got a hold of it to resurrect the beast. So as I said I would rather have something strictly for mowing, that works now. I plan on getting something by at most 2 weekends from now.

-Charles Elliott

dennist

:hide: You state you are looking at a couple xi series tractors 2,500-3,000 and money could be tight if you have any breakdowns. They are terrific tractors, but have you thought of other series that are just as capable and yet much cheaper? The 520-H with forward swept axle will accept the 60" deck and should be found a lot cheaper, leaving you money for any troubles you may have. Just a thought? Good luck on your search!

CRE1992

:hide: You state you are looking at a couple xi series tractors 2,500-3,000 and money could be tight if you have any breakdowns. They are terrific tractors, but have you thought of other series that are just as capable and yet much cheaper? The 520-H with forward swept axle will accept the 60" deck and should be found a lot cheaper, leaving you money for any troubles you may have. Just a thought? Good luck on your search!

Thanks Dennist, I actually considered them, but I am trying to find something with considerably low hours -400 hours and I found a 520H that I actually was going to buy, and as soon as I called the guy told me it had been sold on ebay. I had no idea it was listed, and did not see when I looked on ebay also.

Thanks

-Charles Elliott

Philnc

Charles...bought a 523 DXI last year with 202hrs.on it and I just love it. :hide: When I got it the steering was sloppy but setting the toe-end took care of that problem.Besides that only thing I've done to it was change fluids and filters.Good luck with your mowing!

CRE1992

Thanks Philnc I am leaning towards looking for a newer 520H at the moment, but if I can get the guy with the 523D down quite a bit I may buy it.

shallowwatersailor

Hi Charles,

I had a similar situation to yours when I bought my 518xi. I was ready to buy a new Husqvarna for cutting grass from a dealer that sold Toro and Husqvarna when I found a used 518xi with 476 hrs. about 60 miles away. The dealer was originally a Wheel Horse store and well acquainted with both products. I asked him if I should buy the new Husqvarna from him or the used 5xi. He told me straight away to buy the xi! He gave up a tractor sale to just sell me parts. That sold me on the 5xi (and this dealer) and have not regretted it. You will like the speed and turning radius although it is heavy as Arnold mentioned and bit more top heavy feeling than other tractors. Toro offers a ROPS but it is almost $800.00 and no seat belt which defeats the purpose.

Concerning the 523Dxi vs. the 520xi, the Kohler twin does burn the fuel at a higher rate than the Daihatsu 3 cylinder will. My car uses mid or premium grade gasoline so it is simpler to fill the fuel cans (I'm lazy) with the same. I recently looked at a used 523Dxi because I was trained as a diesel mechanic in the service and like diesels. Make sure that the water pump and Eaton hydro are in good shape as they are pretty pricey. Based on the overall condition of that particular tractor, I let it go. It had almost 800 hrs. by the way. But I wouldn't mind finding a decent one still!

One disconcerting noise with the non-power steering 5xi's is a hydraulic groan that doesn't occur with the power steering models. My mechanical instincts made me sceptical at first but then found a Toro manual that mentions this condition. So bottom line - if I was in your shoes, I would go for the diesel.

John

CRE1992

Thanks John,

I think I might make an offer on the 523DXI, as they guy said hes desperate for cash, but I don't to be a jerk either... So, we will see how it goes.

Thanks for the insight,

-Charles Elliott

CRE1992

:disgust: I am actually in the process of buying a 1996 520H 50th anniversary with 60 inch deck and 260 original hours! :):hide::hide::beer: :WRS:

knever3

Thanks John,

I think I might make an offer on the 523DXI, as they guy said hes desperate for cash, but I don't to be a jerk either... So, we will see how it goes.

Thanks for the insight,

-Charles Elliott

Make offer, want pictures after you buy it!

SNYFIX

Sadly the XI's were introduced to late in the market. (Was years before TORO offered a big tractor). They were quickly discontinued when the market fell out from under people buying big tractors and when TORO discontinued Wheel Horse. There were not many XI's made/sold (as compared to the Classics) and the water cooled/diesels tractors were even less made. Therefore parts are going to dry up fairly quickly (as compared to the classics) and be hard to find. We think both owners know this and want to try to re-coup thier high purchase cost before this becomes known to the general public. We would suggest NO more then $500.00 for any XI regardless of good condition.

Like a poster suggested, go zero-turn !!

SNYFIX

Little better expanation. Because the XI series were fairly new to the market before TORO discontinued Wheel Horse, the dealers did'nt have 'time' to build up a parts supply since they had'nt been out long enough to know what parts failed and needed stocking. Therefore as mentioned in the previous post, parts supplies will be mainly dependent on TORO factory sources.

wh500special

I think the diesel is the better buy.

First, It's a diesel. Should have a longer life in front of it than the air cooled engine. That Daihatsu is used in lots of other products from Toro, Cub Cadet, Exmark, etc and has enjoyed pretty decent reliability.

Second, the 60" deck is a better deck than the 44-incher. Not only is it a lot bigger, but it is much heavier duty and will handle more mowing than the lighter weight 44 probably will. I have a 44" on my 520Lxi and I'm not terribly impressed with it from a quality-of-cut perspective. And it certainly isn't the 300 lb behemoth the 60-incher is known to be.

I love my 520Lxi. These tractors are very comfortable to use, are quiet, have a lot of convenience features, and are rock solid durable. About the only downside I can see with going with a Toro-WH over, for example, a Deere 455 (or similar) is that Deeres tend to hold their value in the "general population" a lot better than Toro products. It's mostly a perception thing. This, of course, assumes you decide to sell the thing someday.

I know zero turns aren't your cup of tea, but have you looked at Toro Groundsmasters? They are designed to maintain golf courses and have conventional steering (even 4wd on some models) and can run for a long, long time since they are built to mow 8 hours a day all year long. They're not cheap, but a decent one could probably be found in your price range.

Just a suggestion.

Back to the point...Of the two you're currently considering, the 523Dxi would be my pick.

Steve