diesel cowboy

Just caught up on this thread and thats going to be a cool rig once your done. As for the turbo the Smart cars could be orderd with a turbo on them. I think the engine is around 1000cc so it might work on it and you might be able to find one in a junk yard for reasonable money. Stewart

SousaKerry

Kelly I got tons of expanded metal also have plastic coated wire mesh with either 1/2" or 1" spacing. How much you want we just trow it out almost every day at work.

I think I even have some woven SS wire mesh, thick stuff though

Edited by Sousakerry2

Kelly

Thanks Kerry I just got home and picked some up on the way, it was $4 so not to bad, I think a turbo is going to wait, I have the exh. all built and don't want to start over on that, not sure how much will get done this weekend, me and family is going to Detroit to the International auto show, we go every few years and the kids are bugging us to go this year.

SousaKerry

Stay safe and keep your head down on the way in :hide:

Only problem with that show is getting there :violence-blades:

Kelly

Had to go watch my Daughter cheer tonight, but before we left I got the left fender all tack welded up, and the holes drilled to mount it.

Inner rail mounted, and upper brace on.

post-85-0-02572100-1358556984_thumb.jpg

Inner brace installed

post-85-0-72607100-1358557058_thumb.jpg

after getting the fender all tacked up, I pushed it outside to clean up, so I took a few pics.

post-85-0-99261100-1358557123_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-38795200-1358557313_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-58324800-1358557360_thumb.jpg

I figure by the time I have the fenders and footrest all welded up, I'm going to have about 25 or so hours into them, but I think it was worth it, I hope sometime this weekend to get the fan guard all built.

• Like 6

buckrancher

looking really good so far Kelly

Brian

sorekiwi

Yup, I'm liking it more and more each day! :thumbs:

TT

WOW! that's :wicked: :handgestures-thumbup:

puddlejumper

Kelly gets one of his top notch paint jobs on it. He will have to build another one to use for this ones intended purpose. Be a shame to take it out get it dirty and all scratched up.

Kelly

Spent most of the day at the Detroit auto show, 2 hour drive there and 2 hours back 4 plus hours walking around, I was not really wanting to do much after getting home but I did tinker for a couple hours tonight, working on the fan guard, probably don't really need one, but what the heck I'm doing this much to it I figured it could not hurt.

I used left over pieces of steel I had in the steel bin, and some screen I picked up fri. I planned to make it go farther down, by a 1" or so, but the piece of angle I wanted to use was a 1" shorter so I ran with what I had, I also need to leave room for the rear of the loader frame to mount on the axle, so now I have plenty of room for that, I used 1" angle for the back upright, 1/2" angle for the bottom and 1" flat stock for the front pieces, what a combo, but it fits very nice and the angle will stiffen the open edges.

I trimmed the two pieces of angle so they fit like a puzzle piece and welded them up.

post-85-0-17277400-1358640691_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-14275500-1358640878_thumb.jpg

Fit back on the tractor to get the angles to cut the other pieces.

post-85-0-90489600-1358640948_thumb.jpg

All welded and ground.

post-85-0-23377500-1358641200_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-50358900-1358641269_thumb.jpg

I cut the screen but have not welded it yet, I still need to make tabs on the body to mount it and drill mounting holes, then weld the screen in, but here is about what it will look like when done, should have it finished tomorrow, I just ran out of ambition tonight, but happy with getting this done.

post-85-0-27308800-1358641337_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Martin

some neat fab work there, kelly!

Kelly

Got the fan guard done today, not much else but some head scratching on other stuff I want to do, I still need to weld a couple of the tabs better when I tear it down, but everything is tacked in place, I welded nuts to the tabs so I don't have to try to get my arm up in there when installing it, or when removing it.

All bolted in, I left about a 1/16" gap around it so it should not rub or squeak.

post-85-0-92941500-1358720416_thumb.jpg

View from back.

post-85-0-49597700-1358720587_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the fan sticks down below it some, but as I said earlier I used steel I had, and it was shorter that I wanted, but also needed to leave room for the loader frame mounts at the rear axle.

post-85-0-94716900-1358720651_thumb.jpg

chris hall

this thing is soo bad ass . your fab skills are great too.how much hp do you think it'll have ?

Kelly

Thanks you, it's rated at 25hp but I bet it truly is less, but that is ok, after driving it for 5 min. few weeks ago, I'm sure it has more power than I'll need.

Ken B

I agree, EXCELLENT fab skills. You can tell you are a body man (AND a guy that works on his own race cars where fab skills are an absolute must) You really nailed it with the fab work on the fenders and foot boards. Looks exactly like something the factory should have done instead of the drastic plastic.

This is without a doubt one of the best build ups I've seen here on the Square. If you are planning on taking this all apart to do one of your killer paint jobs on it is going to look truly incredible.

Stigian

Just caught up with this build again... Wow that's some top notch fabrication work Kelly :bow-blue::handgestures-thumbup:

I like your widened foot plates, it's something I've been thinking about doing on my 312-8 for a couple of years now... You might of inspired me to get it done at last..

hm12460

ive heard that rule before too on the wheel studs (NHRA ruling)...

most common like you said though is 2-3 threads past the nut for most fastening situations though.......

i did a bunch of steel fabrication when i worked in the building industry years ago and it was 3 threads minimum.

i think the wheel stud ruling looks ok on the wheel studs, but i try to keep at 2-3 threads for most normal fasteners though, the wheel stud ruling length just doesnt look 'tidy enough' for me..........

As a journeyman millwright, this is what I was taught as a youngster. I have also seen/ heard of the other way Kelly stated also.

Kelly

Yesterday after work I mocked up a dash panel with some cardboard, just to see if I could come up with a lay out I liked and make all the gauges fit in the space I had, there are a few supports in the main part of the dash I had to work around.

Here is what I came up with, room for all 4 gauges, two light switches, key switch, and the throttle.

post-85-0-93012700-1359246310_thumb.jpg

Today I built the real dash with some 1/8" thick aluminum I had here, cut out with a jig saw at this point.

post-85-0-04664300-1359246457_thumb.jpg

Here I have the steering column hole and mounting screw holes in, and all the sides trimmed and finished.

post-85-0-69927900-1359246539_thumb.jpg

Main holes drilled, I still at this point need to make the slot for the throttle, and file the flat sided hole to mount the key switch, but it is looking better.

post-85-0-16147400-1359246677_thumb.jpg

after 4 hours of cutting, drilling, filling and sanding here it is, everything fits nice, and yes I have two hour meters in there, I still need to order another gauge for the 4th hole, more on that later, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, I will probably just paint it black for now, but I plan to send it to our decal guy here and have him make a dash overlay decal with all the lettering on it.

post-85-0-63498200-1359246763_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

otrelwood

2 hour meters doesnt count as twice the seat time

Jake Kuhn

very nice kelly! :handgestures-thumbup:

DOC in Kentucky

Fanfekkintastic build Kelly!!! The best build I have seen in awhile. Enjoying every post and pic!!! Great Job!!!

smoreau

Got any updates Kelly? been busy with lots of stuff lately and haven't been keeping up with all the latest posts in a few weeks. Looks Great, You can tell that this one will be done the way the factory would have done it. leave it to Kelly to make it look GREAT! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Don1977

Got any updates Kelly? been busy with lots of stuff lately and haven't been keeping up with all the latest posts in a few weeks. Looks Great, You can tell that this one will be done the way the factory would have done it. leave it to Kelly to make it look GREAT! :handgestures-thumbupright:

With the metal fenders it is already better than the factory did.

Kelly

Past few weekends I've been busy with other stuff, and too tired after work during the week to mess with it, I'm also kinda at a minor hold looking for the right seat, I've tried a few I have here but nothing fits me or the tractor the way I want, when I get a seat I can build the fuel tank, I have a cardboard mock up for the tank, but because it is going to be right behind the seat, I need the seat first, to make sure it clears, I hope to be tearing it apart to weld everything up very soon.

Wheel-N-It

Looking forward to more from you Kelly !