Kelly

I got some time tonight to tinker, I tightened all the hyd fittings, and had to guess on the two lines that go to the steering cyl. they are not marked, if I got it wrong you turn the wheel left and the tires go right, then I would have to swap the two lines, so it was a eenie meenie minne moe kinda thing, then I thought about using a drill to try to run the pump as I took the engine back off to ez getting to the fittings, so I went to the barn to find a pulley to use and found a 1/3 hp elect motor with a pulley on it, I take it back to the shop and try it, yup it worked it only runs @ 1700rpm but it ran the pump ok, I was going to build a mount to hold it in place but that would have taken at least half hour or more, so I just held it in place by hand and had Ryan my son run the lift controls, it took a min. but the lift started to work, so I had him try the steering, after a few turns back and forth to work the air out, the wheels turn and I got lucky they even turned the right way :woohoo: I was pretty happy, those two lines are the hardest two to get to, and it turns out it only takes two and a half turns of the wheel to turn the tires from lock to lock, that is pretty fast, now with out the pump running it takes about 10 turns to move the wheels that far, but at least they will turn with out the engine running.

I got the upper steering shaft marked to be cut and drilled, so tomorrow I can get that done, then put the engine back in, I really hope to do a quick test drive tomorrow, but not sure with getting ready for Christmas, we are having dinner here this year for the wifes family, not looking forward to that, house FULL of people, but us guys can go out and I can show off my toy.

• Like 2

Alan_Heist

Kelly,

It's looking good! Get some pics and video of the maiden voyage for us!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

• Like 1

Kelly

Ok I think we have the video from the other night of the first running of my 25hp V twin diesel, I hope this works

http://www.youtube.c...GST9ie4is?rel=0

Now I need to figure out how to rename the link, so it's not a full page wide???

Thanks Martin, that made it smaller, now if I could rename it??

I'm not a computer guy, can you tell??

Trouty56

Now that is AWESOME!!! Too kool.

Sent from my phone........

perry

Kelly

Show off :angry-cussingblack::ychain: I'll figure out how to do that someday.

HA I think I figured it out, more videos posted.

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 1

Kelly

Here is the power steering test, Ryan taped and steered it, so the video is a little shaky, I had to hold the elect. motor in place to run the belt.

• Like 1

Kelly

Here is the first test drive, I'm glad I put a seat and footrest on it, it turns pretty tight, the tri ribs dig in with little to no sliding, I need to adjust the hydro so it goes faster forwards, and I think the next thing up is a throttle control, right now it's wide open or nothing, but at least it's up and driving :woohoo::party: I'm pretty happy, I'm a week ahead of schedule, the plan was to test drive it by weeks end.

• Like 5

Martin

videos look great kelly.......

like the ratio youve got there with the steering. that turning circle rivals the short frame tractors of the 60's!!!!!

and that engine just sings.........

Kelly

The turning radius is nice being the tractor is over 6 feet long, and the quick ratio is nice, it's not jerky, but will get some getting used to being so fast. I think I'm done for the day, things to do around the house, but I'm happy with the days out come.

Trouty56

You can ignore this if you like Kelly, but, I was looking at the steering and how the one tire throws some spalds..... The steering fan in the middle of our tractors is designed when turning to pull the inside wheel further than the outside wheel gets pushed making the inside wheel turn tighter (it is turning a much tighter circle than the outside). I noticed you have a straight tie rod from one spindle to the other. I think that is causing the one wheel to throw dirt. Maybe a fan in the middle with 2 tie rods would make it steer better. Depending on which wheel is grabbing it could cause a near miss or something...

Kelly

Thanks Bob, but I set this up the same as many other garden tractors I have looked at, I understand what your saying, but all Case tractors are set up like mine, all the P/S simplicitys are and many more, I think the main reason in the video it was throwing dirt was the ground was very wet.

• Like 1

illinilefttackle

Totally Awesome Kelly! Great job working with what you've got. No fancy stuff- just good fab skills.

WHEELHORSE DONUTS! I think that's great!-keep us updated-Al

fireman

Awesome Kelly! That things looks like it run great. The hydraulic steering seems to work perfect (Now you got me thinking, HHMMM!).

Kelly

Not much of a update with Christmas here and all, but here is a few pics, I mounted a clean briggs tank I had to put fuel in, and it kinda took up the space for the batt. so the batt. got stuck on the foot rest.

post-85-0-52531100-1356387395_thumb.jpg

This is right after the it's first outing on it's own power yesterday, to say I'm a happy guy is a understatement.

post-85-0-41937100-1356387541_thumb.jpg

Today I gathered parts from the barn so later this week I have stuff here ready to go, then I brought the 3 point up with me, most of it is from a D I parted out, but the upper rockshaft I traded for, worked out good he had a 195 rockshaft and I had a D rockshaft so we swapped, I had to have a buddy machine up the upper rockshaft mounts, I could not find new or used anyplace, I'm working on building a top link mount, I could not find one anywhere, and I will never run a rear PTO so I don't need a factory one, so build it.

post-85-0-24750300-1356387651_thumb.jpg

hard to see but upper rockshaft mounts I had made.

post-85-0-29003400-1356387870_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Alan_Heist

Is the fuel tank temporary or permanent?

That will be a great puller with a 3-pt on there!

Kelly

The tank is only to test run it, I will put the stock tank back under the fender when I get done messing with everything.

Stigian

Just caught up with this build again, good to see your making loads of progress Kelly, the engine sounds great and the exhaust manifold is a work of art :handgestures-thumbup:

SousaKerry

Man Kelly that thing turns like it has turning brakes.... Makes me wish I had the time, space and money to work on my Wisconsin V4 project again. :angry-banghead:

Kelly

Thank you Stigian, it kinda is art, just with metal as a medium.

Kerry , I put this aside because of time and money, I bought stuff as time went on, then I had a pile of parts, so do like I did buy a piece at a time, it will happen.

Well it's a mini update, I had other things to do today even though I'm on vac. this week, but I ran to the steel yard and picked up some stock I could not find here or used elsewhere, when I got home I had a plan in my head and scratched out on paper, I will never run a rear PTO, so I did not need to copy the orig. to a T, but still needed the top link to end up in the same place, I bought some 3/8" thick stock, 3" wide, and some 1.5" x 1/4" thick angle iron, and a piece of 1.5" wide 1/4" bar stock, (that I ended up not using) my first idea work so that was not needed.

upper 3 point mount in kit form.

post-85-0-99684000-1356648198_thumb.jpg

The orig. cross piece was one piece with bends on the ends but I have no good way to bend 3/8" thick steel, so I cut pieces to weld together to form the cross member, these are the end pieces, I welded them together, so when I drilled them I had a perfect copy for the other side, and only had to lay it out once.

post-85-0-33530000-1356648328_thumb.jpg

These are the upright pieces I built out of the angle iron, again welded together to drill and grind the profile on them.

post-85-0-91854000-1356648566_thumb.jpg

I had the cross member tack welded, and the uprights need to be 1.25" apart so I found a socket to use as a spacer it worked out real well, I mocked up the upright and centered it, then tack welded it,

post-85-0-96279500-1356648668_thumb.jpg

After tacking everything, I removed it to finish weld it, but I know I was going to put some heat to it, so I dug through the scrap steel bin, and found this bar stock it was a tiny bit narrow but I weled it so the tabs would not pull or push as I welded them up solid.

post-85-0-20752500-1356648726_thumb.jpg

Here it is welded up, I think I over welded it, but I know it will not pull apart.

post-85-0-59914000-1356648812_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-98570000-1356648942_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-96818200-1356649783_thumb.jpg

Here it is back on the tractor, if you look in the middle of the uprights I added another cross piece again probably not needed but I couldn't stop myself.

post-85-0-73539200-1356649082_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-79086900-1356649176_thumb.jpg

And with the top link installed

post-85-0-54513100-1356649313_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

sorekiwi

Nice Kelly. Looks beefy.

Kelly

I went back out and tinkered a bit more, none of the bolts are real tight, because it all has to come back off, but I installed the rest of the 3 point, and plumbed the lift cyl. I need to have new hoses made one needs a 90 deg fitting not the 45 that is on it, and they are not quite the right length, but it is what I had here, and it tells me what I need to have made up.

post-85-0-86351900-1356655374_thumb.jpg

The Brinley A frame adaptor came with a big Bolens I bought this summer, I planned on building one, but this came along so I don't have to, I do need to buy new lower hitch pins for it, but TSC carries them.

post-85-0-09613300-1356655573_thumb.jpg

now with the 3 point sticking out back it's over 7' long now, this thing keeps getting bigger, but I like it.

• Like 3

Iggy68

Looks great Kelly! Beefy looking machine.

CRE1992

If you flip the brinly hitch around, you could probably hang suitcase weights on it.

perry

good to see your getting some well needed shop time , enjoy the rest of your vacation :)