fireman

Kelley your gonna love that diesel! No messing around with carburetors or dealing with ethanol. Next to the Senior, my Lawn Ranger with the diesel is my favorite tractor. Nice work so far.

littleredrider

Can't wait to see it done. I like big tires and engines too. Why my Malibu has a 454 and 295/50s!!!! Every now and then I'll fire up the 'ol one lung diesel and take it for a spin. Got the plow mounted up, ready for snow if it ever gets below the 40s. I pushed some dirt with it couple weeks ago, and at half throttle didn't even change it's mood. Can't wait to see how it pushes the white stuff...

Kelly

I didn't get much time on it today, I had some running around to do, and tonight went to my sons choir concert at school.

but I was looking at the flywheel screen and thought I might see if a Onan one would fit, no such luck, but then I remembered a decal I had in the cupboard, and it fit pretty good, I did get it a bit off center.

post-85-0-24727900-1355883394_thumb.jpg

Then I turned to the exhaust, when I bought the engine I ordered the muffler also, it was like $25 well it turned out there is no way it will work, well it might make a good hand warmer in cold weather.

post-85-0-16922300-1355883686_thumb.jpg

I went to the barn to see what kind of pipe I had to work with, but only found a few pieces that might work, not enough to do the job, so I went back to the muffler and cut the mounting flanges off, to use as a base, then I sat and looked at the engine for a bit, I had a idea in my head but no pipe, so I called a buddy at a local muffler shop, he said he had the right size pipe in stock, so I drew up a plan to show him and dropped it off, 2 hours later I picked up what will be my cross over pipe to mount a muffler on, I also went out back and cut a stack style muffler off a junk tractor to use, (did I say it's nice having your own junk yard) all the pipe he bent up for me is a bit long I can cut and adjust it to fit and weld it up, I had him swedge the ends so it would be a slip fit and I will not have to butt weld it all, and it makes mock up much better stuff stays put this way, so in the next few nights I should have exhaust on it.

post-85-0-27121500-1355883874_thumb.jpg

And Martin, I got to thinking the pulley does look a long ways from the belt guard, then I slid a PTO set up on it and there is the difference, looks about right now, even though I'm pretty sure I will not be using a PTO on this tractor, the 195 uses a different style PTO than shown, they use a cone style, but I think the common style would work.

post-85-0-86203500-1355884848_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-27061400-1355884561_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Wow Kelly, this project of yours has really got me thinking how cool it would be to have one of those twin cylinder diesels grafted onto the 520H roller I have.

I've probably said this before, but I will say it again.

Kelly

I think I'm back on a roll for now, it feels good to be working on this project again, I took the exh. pipe I got yesterday and made something out of it, I know how Stigian feels now except I drink Dew not coffee, and set and stair smoking, trying to come up with a plan of attack, I didn't want to screw up and have to get more pipe so careful planning is a must, so with plan in mind the chop saw, grinders and welder came out, to start I stuffed wet paper towels in the exh. ports so no stray hot metal could get in, then covered the engine with a wet towel, and began to cut, and tack weld, I used a hole saw to cut the hole in the elbow, then opened it to size with a die grinder, about a hour or so later this is what I had, at this point I'm happy with the results.

post-85-0-86626400-1355967184_thumb.jpg

After tacking it up more I removed it and finish welded everything, checking often that I was not warping it, by test fitting it, again all went good, and here it is back on the engine for more cutting and fitting of the upright.

post-85-0-76108800-1355967458_thumb.jpg

Checking with the hood back on.

post-85-0-98193600-1355967618_thumb.jpg

Here is the first fitting of the muffler, I think it is going to be shorter, by about 3" and move it in closer to the hood by about 1 1/2" the elbow is only tacked on, so I could see how it looks, and I need to install all the correct tires to set the pipe in the correct upright position, I just guessed here, and when it is all done, I will build a few braces to bolt to the engine and weld to the pipe so it will not brake anything.

post-85-0-59087900-1355967830_thumb.jpg

This is the joint I'm going to cut 1 1/2" (yellow line) out of to move the muffler closer to the hood, and when done the bushing will not be there at the muffler, that is just to test fit the muffler, when all done I'll take it back to the muffler shop and have them bump it out so the muffler will side into the pipe.

post-85-0-93971800-1355967883_thumb.jpg

This will be one of the up coming projects, I removed the stock aircleaner as it would not clear the hood it is a big flat box style, I already lastnight made the plate, now I have some left over pipe to weld to it (yes it will be much shorter) and will connect it with pieces of radiator hose, to the Donaldson aircleaner I bought.

post-85-0-13484500-1355968279_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-46136100-1355968474_thumb.jpg

Im thinking I will build a mount and put the aircleaner in the nose of the tractor, these back hoods have tons of room up front, but I'll deal with that later down the road.

post-85-0-67247800-1355968531_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

Looking great kelly! :handgestures-thumbup:

dbartlett1958

Kelly,

Nice fab work. One of the fun thing about this kind of project is letting the mind wander to solve all the little issues that pop up. With no right or wrong way to do it we can't lose!

You surely have a winner in the making.

mavfreak

Looks great!

KATO

definitely gonna be a stump puller. looks awesome

Kelly

I got out of work early today, did some shipping of parts I sold, took my gas cans and filled them @ $2.98 a gal. when I got home I did dishes for the wife, she likes it when I sneak in and do them before she gets home from work, one less thing she has to do, as she helps take care of her mother who had a stoke a few years ago and is partly paralyzed and can't talk, and takes care of us here at home, running kids to this and that and everything else, so doing dishes now and then is no big deal.

Then I went to the shop to start working and decided I needed to clean up first, I like having the scrap carpet on the floor it is soft on the knees and warmer, I just use the shop vac on it.

post-85-0-05037300-1356042266_thumb.jpg

much better.

post-85-0-91953900-1356042634_thumb.jpg

When I was in town I picked up a new tub of grease as I knew I was going to put the hubs on and was about out, when I opened it this is what I found about half empty, you can see the tin on the bottom, just like everything else in this world cheap.

post-85-0-49082100-1356043280_thumb.jpg

These are the trailer hubs I'm using, I picked them up about a year ago, with the front rims I'm using.

post-85-0-74956700-1356042821_thumb.jpg

For those that don't know what a 520 front spindle looks like, and why it is so easy to install hubs, here is a pic, as you can see it basically is a trailer spindle.

post-85-0-83953300-1356043397_thumb.jpg

With hub installed, even with packing the bearings it only took about 45 min. to install both sides.

post-85-0-75439800-1356043522_thumb.jpg

Back spacing with rims that are equal spaced, the rims on my 520 have less back spacing, but these will put less pressure on the spindles.

post-85-0-35433400-1356043598_thumb.jpg

I normally mount the tires from the back of the rim so if I scratch them it's on the back, but these rims the center drop was in the front so I had to do it from the front, old school with soapy water and a tire spoon, I had the rims powder coated a year + ago when I did the rears.

post-85-0-88136300-1356043829_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-00537500-1356044006_thumb.jpg

The tri ribs are 16x6.5x8 the stock Dico 520 tires are 16x7.5x8 I think the tris will help it set more level with the rear tires I have.

post-85-0-73692300-1356044076_thumb.jpg

All mounted and ready to go, this makes front tire swaps nice, no messing with the bearings or grease.

post-85-0-15608900-1356044207_thumb.jpg

I think the black hood tractors look so much better with the forward swept axle, it helps the big nose look right, and not stick out so far.

post-85-0-70838900-1356044259_thumb.jpg

When I set up the steering I knew being longer wheel base it would not turn very good, so I planned and got it so it turns on a dime, when pushing it around one rear tire will stay in one spot while the tractor piviots on it, this will be nice, and it turns just as sharp the other way.

post-85-0-90741700-1356044348_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-59305000-1356044446_thumb.jpg

Stock C-195 rear tire 27x I think 9.5?x 15 ags I'm using 29x12.5x15, did I say I like big tires!!!

post-85-0-60830000-1356044614_thumb.jpg

I like the stance of it, it is 6' 8" long from front of tire to rear of tire, and 47" wide in the rear, the steering shaft needs to be cut more yet.

post-85-0-11303700-1356045056_thumb.jpg

You can see in this pic I need to move the exh. a bit closer to the hood, and lower.

post-85-0-76672000-1356045203_thumb.jpg

Well I'm headed back out to do something, not sure what???

• Like 3

Martin

im liking all the mods kelly. all stuff thats going to make this one a nice tractor to use. i know what you mean about carpet, everywhere i dont have it on the floor in the garage is not comfortable to work. just makes it nicer to kneel down and work. even with a heated garage (not the floor) the bare concrete just isnt very nice to work on.......

are you planning on making this one look real nice when youve finished building it or is it just going to be dressed in its 'war clothes'?.......

Kelly

Martin is is going to get spray bombed on all the bare metal, and used till I work the bugs out, and tweak things, I know with a build like this there will be something.... or two that needs changed or modified, then someday it will get torn down for a worker paint job, nice but not over the top.

Well spent about 2 hours tinkering, with it back on the floor with the correct tires I could cut and weld the final exhaust parts, I removed about 1" to make it set closer to the hood, and shortened it about 3" I like it much better, I know it's not much but things like that bug me.

if you look back at the pic's above you can see the little changes I made.

post-85-0-24125700-1356052030_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-23972800-1356052182_thumb.jpg

Here is the almost done manifold, I need to take it to the muffler shop and have the top opened up a touch so the muffler slips into it.

post-85-0-87073300-1356052260_thumb.jpg

I think I've had this exh. on and off 50 times and that is no joke!!! I was sitting staring at it and decided I should add a brace like I planned, so I dug though my steel pile, I pick up bits at the junk yard all the time, nice brackets and new little pieces of metal people throw away, you never now when you might need something, and I pulled out a bracket, with the right bend in it and had a 3/8" hole in the right spot, so I cut it to size, then had to drill the block out for a 3/8" bolt as all the bolts and holes are metric in the engine, but it was close it was 12mm so it opened up quick and easy, I tacked it on then removed the pipe again to finish weld it, I may add one more brace but not sure yet, I'll run the engine to see how bad it shakes.

post-85-0-57605100-1356052442_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-37885400-1356052532_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

smoreau

Looking very good Kelly! Those hubs and rims look nice! Coming together very nicely. And as you already know, glad your back on the project!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

TT

Perhaps I'm overstepping my boundaries here - and ignore it if you prefer.....

If you move the muffler down as low as possible there shouldn't be as much stress on the header pipe.

You can add a piece of pipe at the top of the muffler to get the overall height back. :confusion-shrug:

From my 'paint shop':

post-33-0-09228000-1356057368.png

• Like 2

Kelly

You know I may do that Terry, and feel free to interject at any time, I like the look better also, now to see if I should have left the 1" I took out to bring the pipe closer to the hood, I don't want to melt the decals, well new ones someday, the ones on it are shall we say "seen better days", I was going to take the pipe to work with me tomorrow, and stop by the shop on the way home, but now I may wait.

Scott, thanks for the hubs and rims, always like dealing with you.

Kelly

No pics today, I did lower the muffler by about 3" that is as far as I could go and not have hood issues, then I stopped by the muffler shop and had the pipe opened up, and a piece to fit on the top of the muffler to extend it up some, I do like it, I knew I didn't have much room for a batt. but I had a jet ski batt. here that was in my other C-195 so I stuck it in here and it even turns it over, but not for long I had to use the batt. charger on it, to make it crank better, I bolted the exh. back on AGAIN, spayed some WD-40 in the intake and it fired, WOO HOO, I'm pretty happy, first I heard it run ever, so I hooked up a temp fuel tank and put some kerosene in it, and cranked it over and it fired up and runs great, not as load as I thought it would be, and does not shake to bad at all, higher RPMs it smooths out pretty nice, my son Ryan did a video but we can't figure out how to get it from his Ipod to here??? needs a few more things done but I'm 99% sure by end of next week I'll be test driving it, this thing is turning out to be a beast, I really really want to drive it.

sorekiwi

Love that thing Kelly!

Jim_M

Be careful running it on straight kerosene, it doesn't lubricate like diesel and it can tear things up.

• Like 1

Kelly

Thanks Jim, I plan to get some diesel today, I only ran it for about a min. total on the kerosene any longer the wife would have killed me, the garage is attached to the house, even though, I had all the doors open she said I made the house stink. :hide:

• Like 1

Jim_M

She probably won't be much happier when you run it on diesel.

• Like 1

Kelly

I havn't touched it today, did get the fuel pump in the mail, picked up some small line to run on the returns from the injectors, and the correct size bolts to mount the engine, and I was told push it outside to play with it next time. :hide: I figure the diesel will be more smokey, and stink more.

jdog_kustoms

on your return lines are you dumping it back in the tank or just teeing it in the line from the tank prepump i have been debating about this on my gt100 diesel conversion with using the stock tank also

also your 195 will be one heck of a machine any thoughts on putting aux hydrolics on it

Kelly

J dog, I had planned on running the returns T'd together and back to the tank, with a fitting, when I had it running I forgot about the returns, and they only dripped a little tiny bit, I half expected them to at least spray out some.

if you see in a few of the pics the mid lift cyl. is near the back of the tractor, I plan to put quick connect fittings in the rear, I may make a power angle for my 3 point back blade, and I plan to build a lift like a cherry picker to mount on the 3 point and have the lift cyl. live.

perry

really looks good :) . dont get the exhaust too low, fumes in the face.

perry

No pics today, my son Ryan did a video but we can't figure out how to get it from his Ipod to here???

you should beable to upload that video to your youtube page and then paste it here. if not, see if you can email it to me and i can post it for you.