Sign in to follow this  
145Automatic

I got a "modern" horse

145Automatic

I got a new horse. The reasoning (excuses) I wanted one that was easy to use for my old bones ,and that the wife could use if needed. So I found a decent local deal on a 264H. So far with limited seat time the good news is: It is comfortable and easy to mount and dismount. It Rides good and steers sharp (with noticable effort) The front axle and frame are solid old school wheel horse. I do have some resevations about the Aluminum transaxle. it is quite obvioulsy not as stout as a unidrive. And the big PITA is changing the drive belt. Its like a hard Chinese puzzle. I've got some parts ordered, so once things get back together I'll update you fine folks.

first264001.jpg

first264002.jpg

smoreau

That should work just fine for cutting grass and pulling a cart around the yard. As my father aged he cant get on and off the older tractors very good , but the newer ones have that nice walk through between the seat and steering wheel. Good Buy! and you should be fine with it. :hide: and that foot control is a lot better control and I want to make one for a older one like that. :WRS:

Coadster32

It will treat you well, if you treat it well. :hide:

dobeleo

12 years ago my dad asked for my input on purchasing a new riding mower. He has 1 acre level, fiinished yard. I ended up picking a Scotts / Deere 2046 Rider. 20 HP Briggs OHV engine and 46 inch deck.

My only concern with these mowers is the manual doesnt reccomend changing the oil in the hydrostatic transmission. What I learned is Deere felt the rear end would out last the rest of the machine. You can change the oil in theses, it is just a pain. I had to remove the rear end.

Anyway, my point is with a little TLC and knowing the mower's limits, it will last for years!

Dan

145Automatic

Thanks for the input fellas. Dan, I noticed that the toro manual is similar that there are no recommendid oil changes for the transaxle. However, It does still seem to work wll. I'm the third owner. The first owner had it for 11 years and was good with the maintenance, The PO not so much. I've got a new idler pully, drive belt, oil filter, ignition switch and some missing trim pieces on order. They should be here today. I love recieving new Horse parts. The K Command engine seams to run strong. I think it will end up being a fine mower.

hotrodmerc

I have always used one of my WH tractors for everything. I recently had an opportunity to buy a Craftsman lawn tractor with 50" deck and 20hp Kohler magnum for 100.00 from a friend that purchased it new. I am using it to mow with and the other WH tractors to do everything else with. The Craftsman mows good but it is just a lawn mower and i don't consider it a real tractor.

Pollack Pete

The most modern tractor I have is a 1997 18 1/2 horse,hydro MTD.i only use it in the fall to pull my old Parker lawn vac.It's really a cheesey tractor,but I've taken good care of it and it still runs really well.

WH nut

I have always used one of my WH tractors for everything. I recently had an opportunity to buy a Craftsman lawn tractor with 50" deck and 20hp Kohler magnum for 100.00 from a friend that purchased it new. I am using it to mow with and the other WH tractors to do everything else with. The Craftsman mows good but it is just a lawn mower and i don't consider it a real tractor.

I traded a 5 year old Crapsman for a 40 year old B80 even up, a goat could cut the grass better than the Crapsman lol