Sign in to follow this  
katman

Gear shift

katman

ok, new to riding lawn mowers, father inlaw past away and i recieved his wheel horse 312-8. the second time i used it i put it into gear and the shifter came out. I've tried to put back in but not luck. I think it's in second gear. i got it somewhat tore apart, any hints on what to do or should i take it in to have a pro. fix it?

I should of put this in to, I noticed a hole in the pivit ball should this be connected to the shifter?

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare. I don't have the answer for you, but hope someone will.

:whistle:

rocking 416

i have rebuilt my c-81 8 speed. it was easy to remove . i used a work bench an baisic tools u do need a good puller tho for the hubs ( what the wheels bolt too) :whistle: .... u can get manuels for them easy too . but if ur patient an take it apart carfully. it is messy but i dident find it hard at all to re build . hope this helps an sorry for bad spelling :imstupid:

Rollerman

Katman just how far apart do you have it? :WRS:

Take a look at the pic...parts 54 & 55 need to be backed out & recenter your shift rails "11 & 12" so that your shifter will drop back into place in the neatral position.

Once you get it back in tighten down the set screw "54" & lock in place with the jam nut "55".

The 312 has a lot of tin around it but you should be able to get to everything on the tractor with some extentions on a 1/4" ratchet.

Good luck & were here to help. :whistle:

51010010.gif

TT

the shifter came out. I've tried to put back in but not luck. I think it's in second gear. i got it somewhat tore apart

I'm guessing you have only removed the plate where the two shifters come through, correct? (I hope you didn't remove the transmission and/or tear more stuff apart.)

Stephen slid in ahead of me while I was typing, but I'll go ahead and post this since it took 20 minutes to type. :whistle: (no offense, Stephen. :WRS: )

If you look at the square "tower" where the main shifter mounts, you'll see a set screw with a jam nut sticking directly out of the front. Loosen the jam nut and the set screw first, if you haven't already.

Shine a light down into the hole where the shifter goes and you'll see 2 square shift rails with notches in the middle of them. These rails have 3 positions each -left, center, and right. Use a long screwdriver or skinny bar and move each one to the center position so the notches line up. This will be neutral. Insert the shifter into the "tower" lining the hole in the front of the pivot ball up with the set screw. (the ball on the end of the shifter will fit into the notches in the shift rails) Tighten the set screw until the tip protrudes SNUGLY into the pivot ball of the shifter. Wiggle the shifter slightly and adjust the set screw so the shifter moves freely, but isn't overly "sloppy". Hold the set screw in place and tighten the jam nut against the "tower". Verify operation of the shifter and readjust as necessary. Reinstall the shifter boot and all other parts that you have removed for access and you should be ready to ride again.

Rollerman

First thing I want to point out is thats actually a breakdown for a 3 speed trans...but will give you a visual on what TT & I are telling you.

Second thing...TT I apprecitate your addition to this thread...cause now I understand what I was trying to say. :whistle:

rocking 416

pry should drain gear oil first an see what color it is an look for metal then go from there . dunno why i dident say that first

TT

Daniel, I don't think there's any internal problems..... sounds like the set screw wore or came loose and the shifter just pulled out.

katman

I can ride again, thanks for the help it was easyer than i thought. had to pound a nail into te pivit thingy hope it will last awhile. thanks again. :whistle:

Rollerman

:whistle: You say pounding a nail in the tractor fixed it. :WRS:

That can't be good. :D

Kelly

Pound a nail where?? :whistle: and that fixed what???? :WRS:

nylyon

I merged the two together for continuity. Glad you got it fixed, but wondering about that nail too. :whistle:

rocking 416

i think your rite TT,, but draining fluid is always a simple logical place to start in my opinion

linen beige

:whistle: You say pounding a nail in the tractor fixed it. :WRS:

That can't be good. :D

Unless it was a 'Horse shoe nail.

rocking 416

i know exacly what happend, the roll pin broke , there is a shifter, that a ball shaped thing that sits in the case they u have the set screw an nut to adjust the slack, i am almost postive the roll pin broke inside the shifter ball

linen beige

i know exacly what happend, the roll pin broke , there is a shifter, that a ball shaped thing that sits in the case they u have the set screw an nut to adjust the slack, i am almost postive the roll pin broke inside the shifter ball

Now I'm scared. I actually understood that, :WRS: and think you're probably right. :whistle:

And Katman, :D

rocking 416

that happend to my c-81 but she is good to go now!!!