Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Cracked plate/rearend mount

bo dawg

I found out this weekend that the plate the rearend bolts up to is cracked from the bottom... both bolts... running about half way up. I just bought it recently and didn't see it then :D What do I do :whistle: I feel :imstupid: I never worked on anything like that, I have'nt attemped to tare one down either before. Is there an easy way to correct this :WRS: this is my mowing tractor.. HELP!

Thanks

Bo

bo dawg

:WRS: I forgot to let you know its on my 79 C-161 hydro :whistle:

Bo

nylyon

You should probably get that welded when you can. Do you have any pictures of the crack? Not sure if the rear could take the heat of the welding, so you may need to take it apart to get welded.

bo dawg

You should probably get that welded when you can. Do you have any pictures of the crack? Not sure if the rear could take the heat of the welding, so you may need to take it apart to get welded.

I was just thinking about taking a picture of it, if it will show up in the pic ok.

I will see about doing it tonight and get it on here. I haven't tryed loading any pictures on here, I hope its easy enough. :whistle:

Bo

kpinnc

Bo,

Over time, alot of the older tractors crack at the plate that the tranny bolts up to, and it's usually up to the bottom two bolts. I know the majority of my older machines have the same cracks, regardless of HP rating, or 4 or 8 speed, and even hydrostatics.

On the "newer" tractors, Wheel Horse added a reinforcement tab across the bottom holes out of plate about the same thickness as the mount plate itself. I have not seen any of those break in the same location.

It will probably be fine to continue mowing with it for now, and when you do get around to fixing it, you'll probably find it has been cracked that way for years. Just take the tranny off, grind a "V" into the line the crack made on both sides (so you can fill it with the weld), and weld it back up.

Good luck!

Kevin

sorekiwi

Yep I've welded up a few of them.

After welding grind it flat and use a nice thick large area washer under the head of the bolt to try and spread the load a bit more.

None of mine have cracked again, but then its only been a few years since I fixed them, they had about 40 years to crack the first time!

bo dawg

Bo,

Over time, alot of the older tractors crack at the plate that the tranny bolts up to, and it's usually up to the bottom two bolts. I know the majority of my older machines have the same cracks, regardless of HP rating, or 4 or 8 speed, and even hydrostatics.

On the "newer" tractors, Wheel Horse added a reinforcement tab across the bottom holes out of plate about the same thickness as the mount plate itself. I have not seen any of those break in the same location.

It will probably be fine to continue mowing with it for now, and when you do get around to fixing it, you'll probably find it has been cracked that way for years. Just take the tranny off, grind a "V" into the line the crack made on both sides (so you can fill it with the weld), and weld it back up.

Good luck!

Kevin

So far I hadn't seen one cracked there, but I never even knew to look :D .

Keven, the reinforcement strip you mentioned...I have that on mine. About 3/4" to 1' wide and runs across the bottom bolts, looks to be tack welded on the ends I believe. I looked on my 68 Charger 12 and it has one too! (no cracks that I can tell :WRS: )

Now when I go to welding...do I need to get that reinforcement strip taken off? or leave it and weld it all! :whistle: Plus I'm not for certain, but I think the strip is cracked too right where the bolt hole is on it in line with the crack on the plate. The cracks start on both bottom corners and runs upward leaning in, (if that makes sence) :D

I am going to try and get a pic of it to show you guys, I do appreciate your help though, I am just a rookie and :imstupid: to some mechanical items, unless its drawed out for me.

Thanks

Bo

kpinnc

I wouldn't try and take the plate off Bo. I would just grind out the cracks as best you can to open them enough to weld. Personally, I would also weld all the way around the reinforcement plate, since it is just tacked on.

Just be careful on the back side of the plate. You will want to grind flush any welds you put back there. Otherwise, you could damage the front of the tranny when you pull her back up tight against the plate.

Good luck!

Kevin

bo dawg

I wouldn't try and take the plate off Bo. I would just grind out the cracks as best you can to open them enough to weld. Personally, I would also weld all the way around the reinforcement plate, since it is just tacked on.

Just be careful on the back side of the plate. You will want to grind flush any welds you put back there. Otherwise, you could damage the front of the tranny when you pull her back up tight against the plate.

Good luck!

Kevin

What is the best thing to use to V the cracks?

What type of weld is prefered ?

Thanks

Bo

TT

Until this discussion came up (and one similar to it on the big Yahoo group) I had completely forgotten about the reinforcement plates that WH sells for the trans mount plate. The "reinforcement" (P/N 114285) is NLA, but the plate is still available. (P/N 108129 -- and almost $40)

Anyhow.....

I have seen a few plated mounts where nothing more than a piece of 3/16" thick steel plate was cut to fit tightly in the front side of the trans mount. The 4 mounting holes were drilled and the plate was drawn tightly in place against the original mount by the 4 bolts. (right over the original reinforcement "strips".)

Once it was in place, it was welded along the edges to the sides of the original mount. :whistle:

kpinnc

What is the best thing to use to V the cracks?

What type of weld is prefered ?

Bo, I always just use a grinding wheel. Don't grind them all the way out, just do it deep enough so that the welds fill in the cracks, as opposed to just covering them up.

As far as a preferred weld, I say just whatever sticks it together. Wire welder, Stick welder, whatever. I can't afford a nice wire welder, so I always just used a stick welder. It the case of where you're gonna weld it, I would use 7018 rods. They are made of a little harder material than something like a 6011. Probably, whatever rod that burns in well will work though...

Kevin

bo dawg

Thanks guy's :WRS: I will give er a try, although I think I will look for that repair plate first and have a look at it TT.

As I get closer to doing it I may have other questions, if you guys don't mind coaching me through it. I need all the help I can get :whistle:

Bo

bo dawg

Hey TT, I spoke to the dealer and he has to order that plate (P/N 108129 for $38.50) but he dont have any picture of it or know anything about it.

I want to understand this more before I order it. Is it made to go over top of the already existing reinforcement strip and be flush up against the original trans mount plate?

Please forgive me for my :imstupid: self, but the vision I have is there being a gap between the 2 plates due to the strip that runs across the bottom bolt holes. (I did read where you mentioned it going right over the original reinforcement strip.)

And then 1 other question. What is the easiest way to man handle by myself separating the rearend from the plate to do this work? floor jack to hold the rearend, and jack stands under the tractor and carefully roll the rearend back out of the way? or :whistle: how heavy or hard to be, never operated on one, this will be my first :WRS:

Thanks

Bo

bo dawg

I finally was able to play around and get pic's of the cracks on this trans/mount plate.

I haven't done anything yet, not sure about what to do to take apart (as far as proper procedure separating the rear end from tractor) Do you prop up rear before unbolting it and the tractor? then roll back one to get in there and weld?

Thanks Bo

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 47 )

quicktime.gif

Trans_mount_plate.JPG