Sign in to follow this  
Posimoto

Key discription in axle shaft keyway

Posimoto

RE: replacing both axle oil seals.

Is it a half moon or flat? I

racinfool40

The key way in the axle it self is the woodruff key half moon shape!!and the can be a pain to remove. I just soak the crap out of them and keep tapping with a hammer and

punch and they will eventually come out.. :hide:

mavfreak

You can try grabbing it with a pair of cutting pliers and pry up

Posimoto

Thanks for the replies,

So if it's a half moon I'm thinking I can tap down and inward on one side? I was trying to tap it up from the outside edge but didn't want to go at it too hard and damage the inner clip (moving the shaft in).

I tried plies and vice grips, no go.

TT

For stubborn keys, I usually support the underside of the axle on a hardwood block.

I hit straight down on the "inside" (toward tranz) end of the key with a brass drift. Once the key starts to pivot upward out of the keyway on the other end, I hold the same drift parallel with the axle and tap the "underside" of the key back toward the tranz.

Posimoto

For stubborn keys, I usually support the underside of the axle on a hardwood block.

I hit straight down on the "inside" (toward tranz) end of the key with a brass drift. Once the key starts to pivot upward out of the keyway on the other end, I hold the same drift parallel with the axle and tap the "underside" of the key back toward the tranz.

I did exactly that although I held the brass drift's handle horizontal on the edge of the key and hit it with a 2 pound hammer (it was bending vertical). The driverside key was really stuck in there took some heavy blows while shooting some Kroil in after each wack. The passengerside wasn't much trouble.

DSCN2564.jpg

DSCN2565.jpg

I cleaned the shaft and inside the hub with emery cloth and filed the shaft where the set screw had left it's mark. I used a small file that fit perfectly to clean the hub's keyway. I coated the shaft and hub with transmission fluid and the hub slid on without issue.

DSCN2566.jpg

If someone could post the torque specs for the tranny drain plug and hub lug nuts it would be appreciated. Thanks

tarcoleo

Not sure what WH or tranny you have, but the distance between the axle oil seal to the start of the keyway looks short compared to the C trannies I have. In mine,

there is an inch or more from the seal to the keyway. Just wondering if your's is right.

Tom in RI

Posimoto

Eaton model 11, the woodruff key is 3/16 x 1 1/8 so maybe the key is longer then yours. I believe the axles are original seeing there was only one owner before me and nothing was mentioned about a tranny swap. The right (long side) shaft is 13 1/8

TT

Not sure what WH or tranny you have

It's technically a #115173 Uni-Drive.

Later (Eaton) hydro models are totally different than the gear drive transaxles.

The hubs are very close to the axle housings.

Posimoto

If someone could post the torque specs for the tranny drain plug and hub lug nuts it would be appreciated. Thanks

Torque specs for those how are interested.

hub set screws 28-32 ft lbs

lug nuts 40 ft lbs