Sign in to follow this  
Brian D

New member with a 417-8

Brian D

Hello Everyone

I just recently picked up my first Wheel Horse and was told I may be able to get some help in this site getting started.... First of all I can not read the serial number so was wondering if any one can help me find a way to get an owners manual & parts list. It has a Kohler 17 HP series 2 engine.

A few parts I am looking for are the following:

1) Air Filter

2) The seat slide assembly

3) The rubber boot that goes over the gear shift

4) Extra Belts

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Brian

c175inMA

If the engine is stock it sounds like you have a 417. Can you read the model number? if the last digit is 1 then you have an 85 if it is 2 you have an 86. I think that both years use all the same parts. you can get parts through toro by following this link https://www.shoptoro.com/Comergent/en/US/ad...lineModelLookup and putting in eather 31-17K801 or 31-17K802 depending on your year or ebay is also a good place to find parts.

mr.pipes

A 1985 is model # 31-17K801

A 1986 is model # 31-17K802

The 86 should have a chrome air cleaner housing and muffler. Louvered hood and elec lift.

You can get manuals at

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...Toro〈=us_en

The shifter boot is part #3577

Local dealer should have it for $4-$5 or Partstree.com is also a great site to find parts.

Duff

:WRS: !

As you can see, there are a lot of folks here willing to help you out!

Keep the questions coming, and around here :)

Duff :hide:

97roadking

:WRS: :) :hide:

Daddy Don

:hide:

WH854

:WRS: :hide: Every one else has said it all

Chas

SALTYWRIGHT

:hide: I ALSO HAVE A 417-8 THAT I PUT A DIESEL MOTOR IN. IT IS A VERY GOOD TRACTOR.

RUSS

JC 1965

:) Hello and :WRS: You'll like it here. :hide:

Toejam

varosd

Welcome aboard!!

DonV

Brian D

Wow....Thanks a ton!

Ok...give me some time and I will get a photo up. I do believe it is and 86 because it has the chrome muffler.

I really appreciate all you input.

corn53

mavfreak

tunahead72

I really appreciate all you input.

Oh, we're not done yet! :WRS:

The Toro web site already mentioned has lots of useful information for your tractor: manuals, parts diagrams, specifications, available attachments, all kinds of stuff. If you don't find what you're looking for there, ask here, somebody should be able to help you out.

The Kohler site KohlerEngines.com may (or may not) have parts diagrams, probably will have owner's and service manuals that you can download.

There are several good online suppliers: OPEEngines.com for Kohler stuff, PartsTree.com already mentioned, I also like JacksSmallEngines.com, some of these have parts diagrams that are easier to use than Kohler's or Toro's.

You can also try your friendly neighborhood NAPA dealer for Kohler parts if you have one, always good to support local businesses, especially if they treat you well.

There's also several parts suppliers in the Vendors section of this forum.

--------

Are you looking for the seat adjusters, for a 1986 model?

Left side: 109988

Right side (with latch): 109987

There's several spacers & screws for that setup, available separately. They're all shown in Section 15 of the Parts & Service Manual (810405R1), a highly useful document, ask here if you can't get one (free) from Toro.

By the way, I would recommend you check your VIN plate again, to see if you can read that last number. The 1985 & 1986 models are very similar, but there are probably minor differences, it may matter. And keep in mind that somebody may have modified your machine in the past, it's always good to keep a sharp eye out for anything that doesn't quite look right.

Have fun, and oh yeah, :hide:

mr.pipes

[quote

The Kohler site KohlerEngines.com may (or may not) have parts diagrams, probably will have owner's and service manuals that you can download.

By the way, I would recommend you check your VIN plate again, to see if you can read that last number. The 1985 & 1986 models are very similar, but there are probably minor differences, it may matter. QUOTE]

Here are the links to the Service and Owners manuals for the KT17

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2043_a.pdf

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog..._2107_c_all.pdf

I have a 85 and 86 417-8. My 86 has a chrome muffler, chrome air cleaner, louvered hood and elec lift. My 85 does not. However I believe another member has an 85 with a louvered hood and one has an 85 with elec lift. I guess elec lift was an option and I am unsure about the hood.

You should search the site for 417-8 as this has been discussed before.

The following was taken from the model list info in this site.

31-17K801 1985 417-8 Garden Tractor 8 Speed Kohler KT17QS-24340

31-17K802 1986 417-8 Garden Tractor 8 Speed Kohler KT17QS-24363

Use the search function. It was very helpful to me as a new member and still is.

I forgot to say :hide:

dunk50

The best definitive way to determine the difference between the 85 and 86 are the dash lights. 85 did not have them, 86 did. The hood, muffler and air cleaner can be changed easily, the wiring harness, dashboard etc. Would be a mess.

stevasaurus

Welcome to Redsquare :WRS: :hide: