truckin88

How do you date an old Kohler Enginer?

Retired Wrencher

1075isDone012.jpg

truckin 88 your motor is a 1976

Wrong.

As I previously stated - the serial number on Will's engine is only 6 digits - which is early 1965 & older.

1969 thru 1979 used the 7 digit serial numbers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have received a few serial numbers so far and only have one that's out of line with my initial interpretation. (Denny Clarke's 701 engine)

I can still use some more numbers if anyone is willing to send them. They must be from a verified original application. (401, 702, 633, etc.)

Terry so the picture that I sent to you is a 1965??? or not Gary B..... I believe this is the original engine in this tractor.

TT

Terry so the picture that I sent to you is a 1965??? or not Gary B..... I believe this is the original engine in this tractor.

If you're talking about the picture you posted a few posts back, the answer is there's no way to accurately know unless you owned it since the day it was new.

To start with, a 1965 engine should have a metal ID tag riveted to the side of the blower housing, not ID decals. Could the blower housing have been changed and not the engine????? I don't know. :WRS: There are no date codes on the blocks, so your guess is as good as mine.

I do know (for sure) that the ID decal is not original - but that's all I'll admit to. :)

The serial number 4091293 is seven digits - used from 1969 to 1979. That is public printed information contained in the Kohler service manual "TP-2379" / page 1.3 / figure 1-2

Seven digit serial numbers starting with 40 to 49 denote 1972.

If you want the correct ID tag, RS member Perry currently has 1075 engine tins listed on eBay. There isn't much time left on the listing, so you better be quick. :hide:

motofast

the letter a b c d e stand for 1965 thru 1969. also its possible that you could have a 1969 with a letter and a seven digit number, listed both ways might be letters are early 69 and digits are later 69. also TT you say i was wrong but truckin posted his serial # 750423 that would make it a 1976!

Retired Wrencher

:hide: :WRS::) Hi Terry I did some research today and I came up with this. The engine is a discontinued model = the D at the the end of the S/N. STK 4 = slow moving stock. And this info came out of the pricing book for Kohlers. So it is a mini block # B-237869 and short block # is c-235618. so i think this puts to rest the Mystery?? Gary B.... Bernardstonshowandmanual010.jpg

Retired Wrencher

this is from the pricing list.. with the #`s Bernardstonshowandmanual012.jpg

TT

TT you say i was wrong but truckin posted his serial # 750423 that would make it a 1976!

You're still wrong. :WRS: Exactly how do you get seven digits out of 7 5 0 4 2 3 ?

I'm not even sure if K-141 engines were still in production in 1976. :hide:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Gary: I'm not following where you're going with short & miniblock numbers. I'd feel safe to say that every K series engine manufactured by Kohler had a specific service engine, a miniblock and a shortblock. (for replacement / repair purposes)

The numbers on the sticker on your engine are for a 1972 "basic" K241 with a special oil sump.

This is what I make of it: it means the original engine on your 1075 was replaced with this one in 1972/73.

If you want it to appear correct, buy the tins from Perry and install the blower housing on your current engine - or at least install the ID tag on your current blower housing.

motofast

sorry about the seven digit thing, what i meant to say was the first two digits of that # 750423 is what you use. so in the 73 to 79 catogory 750423 would be 1976.

racinfool40

As Stated in the Kohler Manual! you need 7 digits to date a kohler engine from 1969 to 1979 and 8 digits from 1980 to 1985 and 10 digits from 1985 to 1995..

so dating a 6 digit serial # doesn't apply unless

A-1965

B-1966

C-1967

D-1968

E-1969

So dating pre 1965 kohlers is an educated guess.. As TT stated we are going by what #'s Have been provided or are known from Tractors with origional engine's :hide:

these #'s and digit have been taken right out of the kohler engine manual!! Page 5

Motofast you would be correct if it was a seven digit # but were dealing with a 6 digit #..

motofast

my info is from a page out of a kohler manual for warranty work if you were a dealer. and you are correct. you have to have seven digits! it takes old people longer to figure things out!

Retired Wrencher

so they made these to look like a stater/Gen in the 70`s??? engine.I got the #`s from the speck #`s and went into price catalog insert from that dealer manual you just cross reference the #`s ether way we know now it is not the original motor in it Bummer as for the tins someday I will get around to it. thanks and T/Care Gary B............

blsjr@comcast.net

Wheel Horse Suburban/plow

as mine is a T 4 HP

serial # 433597

model # 313884

I believe it to be 1960-61

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  2011, WOW!

Talk about pulling a thread out of obscurity!

Edited by AMC RULES

953 nut
3 hours ago, blsjr@comcast.net said:

Wheel Horse Suburban/plow

as mine is a T 4 HP

serial # 433597

model # 313884

I believe it to be 1960-61

:WRS:

If you want to date an engine there may be social media site devoted to that.        :ychain:       If you want to know when the engine was built this thread may help.

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell

@blsjr@comcast.net  :text-welcomeconfetti:

Why don't you start a thread about your tractor and include some pics! We love pics! 

Randy

R Scheer

And here I thought someone was looking to date an old Kohler engineer...

• Haha 2