truckin88

How do you date an old Kohler Enginer?

truckin88

It is a K series K -141 T not on a WH, but in general how do you figure the date on the motor?

smoreau

Good question!!

I have a k91 model# T serial # 476243 spec # 31482A

that I would like to find the year on also. Its on my 1960 suburban.

pharmer

Go to: gardentractorpullingtips.com/ko

All the info about the model/ serial numbers

Are there. Very helpful, Dave

smokin joe

You can tell by the serial number..What are the numbers on the k 141?My book dont do the k 91 though...

truckin88

Joe,

Serial: 750423

Spec: 29167A

SAM_2159.jpg

Thanks,

Will

rmaynard

You are missing part of the address:

Here is the correct one: :hide:

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/kohlcub.htm

smokin joe

I'm not sure its right but according to my chilton manual its a 1975....

TT

Strange........

I have NEVER see any written information on dating pre-1965 Kohler engines in any book OR on the web. :hide:

@Will: based on my (incomplete) research I am going to say that the 141 on your machine was built in 1964.

@Scott: I will say your K91 was built in 1961.

In no way is this information guaranteed to be 100% accurate - but it would be extremely helpful if anyone with 1958 to 1964 Kohler-powered Wheel Horses WITH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE ID TAG could send me all of the numbers from the tag via a PM.

:WRS:

puddlejumper

Strange........

I have NEVER see any written information on dating pre-1965 Kohler engines in any book OR on the web. :hide:

I do not have a way of Properly dating them but I have around here somewhere a list of serial # for kohlers starting in 61 I think for cub cadets It told how to date the engines by serial number.I have it hand written around here somewhere I will see if I can locate it. I found it on a cub page somewhere.

smoreau

Strange........

@Will: based on my (incomplete) research I am going to say that the 141 on your machine was built in 1964.

@Scott: I will say your K91 was built in 1961.

In no way is this information guaranteed to be 100% accurate - but it would be extremely helpful if anyone with 1958 to 1964 Kohler-powered Wheel Horses WITH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE ID TAG could send me all of the numbers from the tag via a PM.

:WRS:

THANKS TT!!!! I was wondering what year that was.

squonk

I like dating old Kohlers. They have more common sense and money as apposed to the younger ones. Plus they are not always looking at their cellphones! :WRS::) :hide:

truckin88

Thanks TT, it makes sense as the snowblower it is on is from right around 64. Research tells me this motor is 100% original to the machine.

puddlejumper

OK does this ring true for everybody?

SERIAL# Year

501-65547 1960 thru 8/63 Wide gap in yrs I know :hide:

65458-127160 8/63-8/65

8/65t066 letter code A

B-66

C-67

D-68

E-early 69

I am not going to list the rest except to say they use the 1st 2 or 3 digits in the serial number according to how many digits are in the serial number

puddlejumper

NO I dont think it even runs true for me. Now that I backed up and compared it to other numbers.

TT

It definitely doesn't coincide with the ones I have.

If anybody else gets a chance to send their numbers to me, I can get a better idea if I'm going in the right direction. :hide:

evanloock

501 is the 1st serial number for the 1961 Cub Cadet "Original". You have posted serial numbers for the tractor. See http://www.ihcubcadet.com/BobsPage/

puddlejumper

Well , Like I said I got it from a cub site a few years ago , It blended into the letter code and I never tried to date one that elderly before. Guess I have held on to that piece of scratch paper long enough!!!

truckin88

You are missing part of the address:

Here is the correct one: :WRS:

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/kohlcub.htm

If I understood this site correct, it says the motor is a 75, which doesn't make sense compared to all my other research it should be between 63 and 65....maybe I read something wrong :hide:

Don1977

I have a K91 T Serial No. A112376 Spec. No. 31424B. I bought it new in 1964 or in the spring of 65. I think it was 1964. The engine could be a year or so older.

TT

maybe I read something wrong :hide:

You did.

Your engine has a six digit serial number. That means it was built before 1965 when the letter prefix serial numbers started.

You must have looked at the seven digit serial numbers on the list at the above website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Don1977: Serial numbers beginning with the letter "A" denote a (later) 1965 model.

Retired Wrencher

:hide: :WRS::) I saw this and I am wondering if this is a 1st year of the 10hp here is the #`s it is off of a 1075. I know it has a tear but I have looked with a magnifying glass and can not see a hint of a letter. Gary B.......... engineplateanddecal010.jpg

TT

Those numbers are for a 1972 K241 "basic" engine with a special oil pan.

Either the blower housing - or the entire engine has been replaced.

A 1075 should have a K241AS with a spec number of 46219A and (more than likely) a serial number beginning with the letter "A".

motofast

truckin 88 your motor is a 1976, a good example is don 1977 motor which starts with {a} that is a 1965. hope that helps.

TT

truckin 88 your motor is a 1976

Wrong.

As I previously stated - the serial number on Will's engine is only 6 digits - which is early 1965 & older.

1969 thru 1979 used the 7 digit serial numbers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have received a few serial numbers so far and only have one that's out of line with my initial interpretation. (Denny Clarke's 701 engine)

I can still use some more numbers if anyone is willing to send them. They must be from a verified original application. (401, 702, 633, etc.)

312Hydro

I like dating old Kohlers. They have more common sense and money as apposed to the younger ones. Plus they are not always looking at their cellphones! :WRS::disgust::hide:

That's hilarious! :)