Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorse656

K181 kohler problem/question

wheelhorse656

well i bought a k181 from my grandpa that blew but its very clean and in great shape other than the rod breaking. I am suposed to take it to the machine shop monday to have it bored 20 over and the cleanded up and balanced. My question is the PO sand blasted the name tag :WRS::hide: so i cant tell if it is a k161s or AS or so on i have the speck number and serial number they read

Spec.# 30580d

Ser.# 6089814

It came out of a Cub Cadet model 86. my other question where can i buy an undersized rod as a after market and what is the size i can go down to on the crank journal? Thanks, Jordan :)

dgjks6

Here goes from memory. The S is for electric start. The A is for special oil pan.

As far as the shop, on the first visit I would just have them measure everything to find out what they need to bore it to, and thye can check the valves and the crank journal and they will tell you what aize of everything to get.

You can buy complete rebuild kits with standard rods and pistons all the way to 30 over on the bore, but they can only go 10 under on the crank.

There are guys here who sell the rebuild kits.

Good luck! :hide:

TT

Just for the record.........

I have yet to see a non-generator application Kohler K series single-cylinder engine less than 10hp with anything but the "normal" oil sump.

The model should be a K181S - which means its a K series / 18 cubic inch / 1 cylinder / electric start.

The serial number makes it a 1974.

X2 on the "wait to order parts until accurate measurements are taken and/or the machine work is done". :hide:

wheelhorse656

Just for the record.........

I have yet to see a non-generator application Kohler K series single-cylinder engine less than 10hp with anything but the "normal" oil sump.

The model should be a K181S - which means its a K series / 18 cubic inch / 1 cylinder / electric start.

The serial number makes it a 1974.

X2 on the "wait to order parts until accurate measurements are taken and/or the machine work is done". :hide:

well i know they will have to over bore the cylinder because it has some scratches on the cylinder walls. and the crank has a spot where aluminum from the rod had melted or somthinged it's self to it. before it was blown a valve job was done both valves new and lifters and there in clearance. I should be able to rebuild it and put a coat of bright red paint and slap it on a horse :WRS: also what is the STD. bore size? and also the STD. crank journal size? Thanks, Jordan

TT

LINK to Kohler service manual.

Don't be surprised if the rod journal isn't as bad as it looks.

wheelhorse656

LINK to Kohler service manual.

Don't be surprised if the rod journal isn't as bad as it looks.

thanks for the link and help TT :hide: :WRS:

wheelhorse656

Does anyone know if terry makes the decals for 8hp kphler i cant find them on his sight. Thanks,Jordan

wheelhorse656

that one and the serial number spec number and engine model decals Thanks again TT.

wheelhorse656

i am having a problem finding an rebuild kit for this engine that has 20 over piston and rings and a 10 under rod that doesent make a 15 year olds wallet feel about 2 pounds lighter. the cheapest i have found is 171.89 which is napa autoparts. anyone know of a cheaper kit that i can get and have these sizes? Thanks,Jordan :hide:

KB9LOR

i am having a problem finding an rebuild kit for this engine that has 20 over piston and rings and a 10 under rod that doesent make a 15 year olds wallet feel about 2 pounds lighter. the cheapest i have found is 171.89 which is napa autoparts. anyone know of a cheaper kit that i can get and have these sizes? Thanks,Jordan :hide:

Jordan, I answered your PM, I can hook you up.

wheelhorse656

i am having a problem finding an rebuild kit for this engine that has 20 over piston and rings and a 10 under rod that doesent make a 15 year olds wallet feel about 2 pounds lighter. the cheapest i have found is 171.89 which is napa autoparts. anyone know of a cheaper kit that i can get and have these sizes? Thanks,Jordan :WRS:

Jordan, I answered your PM, I can hook you up.

Thanks for your help Brian!!! :hide:

can whlvr

i agree with tt about the journal,i just did a k241 and the lournal had alluminun all over it,i used 300 grit emery cloth and just worked it off,the journal was perfect and i didnt have to pay to have it turned,which it didnt need