Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Plow upkeep day

Sparky

Hey Guys, well it was time to "dig" out the plows that I'll be using this winter. Unfortunately they had to be stored outdoors all thru the off season so they have gotton rusty and grungy.

I ended up spraying em with 4 cans of primer and 3 cans of International Harvester Red. Not to bad for a rattle can spray job.

Mike......with red fingers :D ....

tractor002.jpg

Plow001.jpg

kj4kicks

Not bad at all, Mike. Now I'm jealous, I don't have a plow.

Eldon.... Plowless in PA.

nylyon

That came out really nice, looks like you're going to be more than ready for snow this year!

Curmudgeon

Give it time....

I've got a couple of plows, three snowblowers.........

Amazing what years and years can do! LOL

Dale

kpinnc

I've got one, but the previous owner used it right through the wear bar. One side is right up into the blade, PAST the mounting bolts.

What a STUPID thing to do! I make some real blunders, but that was about retarded...

In short, I'm jealous too Dale. We don't get alot of snow down here, but I have a gravel driveway. It would be nice to grade it regularly...

I think I'm just gonna cut it off and re-drill it.

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Oh, if you wanna grade your driveway, get a mid mount blade, it'll work MUCH BETTER.

Yup, got one, and nope, it's not going anywhere.....

Hmmm, actually I have two, one is home built and fits either midmount or on the rear using the clevis hitch.

Dale, if he never sees snow again, will be seeing it all too soon.

T-Mo

They look pretty good for a rattle spray can job. I'm also jealous as I don't have a plow either. But maybe I will someday.....

kpinnc

Ya know, every once in a while, I get lucky:

I was just saying how jealous I was because my blade is in such bad shape. Well, my father in law called me over today, and had a surprise for me. He found a new blade for me! :D It was in AWESOME shape, with absolutely NO rust, and still has all the factory paint and decals on it. The previous owner said he had it for a long time, but never used it much. He stored it in his basement, and it was never left outside. There is still some factory paint on the wear bar. No dents, and everything is there right down to the rear hitch. It's ready to go straight to work.

It's the short frame plow. My other one is for both long and short frame, and looks even worse next to this "new one", so I had to dig up the part numbers and see when it was made.

It's a 1964 model BD-4264! If it had been a 1994 model, I would have been happy with how it looks. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't stored in a time capsule or anything, but it is the very first implement I've ever had that needs nothing but a good tractor to mount it on!

Sorry guys, I'm a little excited. Did I mention it was also FREE? :P

Man, I gotta get the 867 finished...

Kevin

Sparky

Kevin...I think if you wanted to use the new plow on your 300 Series tractor that you could swap out the blades and frames so the good blade is on the long frame. I'm not positive about this as I dont own a short frame plow but I suspect that like everything else Wheel Horse made its interchangable.

Mike.....

kpinnc

Yep!

The blade portion is identical on both models. They are also 42 inch, but I've seen some that are 48 inch, and been told the "D" series tractors used some up around 54 inches wide.

I can just see my little 867 with a 54 inch dozer blade on it. It would look like one of those little dogs that walk around on thier front legs with the back ones up in the air! :D

Hit a bump, and over ya go!

Thanks!

Sparky

I got one of them 54"ers and yer right....its huge and heavy! The 42" and the 48" plows I can just about manage on my own to wrestle em around but if I need to move the "big one" I gotta get help.

Mike......

glenn27

Ya know, every once in a while, I get lucky:

I was just saying how jealous I was because my blade is in such bad shape. Well, my father in law called me over today, and had a surprise for me. He found a new blade for me! :D It was in AWESOME shape, with absolutely NO rust, and still has all the factory paint and decals on it. The previous owner said he had it for a long time, but never used it much. He stored it in his basement, and it was never left outside. There is still some factory paint on the wear bar. No dents, and everything is there right down to the rear hitch. It's ready to go straight to work.

It's the short frame plow. My other one is for both long and short frame, and looks even worse next to this "new one", so I had to dig up the part numbers and see when it was made.

It's a 1964 model BD-4264! If it had been a 1994 model, I would have been happy with how it looks. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't stored in a time capsule or anything, but it is the very first implement I've ever had that needs nothing but a good tractor to mount it on!

Sorry guys, I'm a little excited. Did I mention it was also FREE? :P

Man, I gotta get the 867 finished...

Kevin

You did good--another thing to 'save' the front cutting edge--is to bolt on heavy rubber belting to hit the ground first....use same holes-longer bolts!

CHARGER9AUTO

I got one of them 54"ers and yer right....its huge and heavy! The 42" and the 48" plows I can just about manage on my own to wrestle em around but if I need to move the "big one" I gotta get help.

Mike......

Mike, The Wheel Horse 54" Dozer Blade that you have all redone painted would look Cool on my '63 953 or '69 GT-14 Auto. :D:(:P Ben.............

Sparky

It sure would but the Big blade is for the D-160. Hopefully I will have that tractor all fixed up and at the show this year(If I make it :D )

Mike.......

CHARGER9AUTO

It sure would but the Big blade is for the D-160. Hopefully I will have that tractor all fixed up and at the show this year(If I make it :D )

Mike.......

Mike, I like to have my 953 all ready for the show next year :P Ben.......