Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

417A Repair

HorseFixer

Thanks! :hide: Pipes Ill put that silver and the new shoes under advisement :WRS: Well got up ealy and back to the salt mines! This mornin got the steering wheel uppr dash panel installed and thought I would set the Hood on and see how she looked. Got the new battery in also but need some hold downs so off to the Zone or advance I go. Damn thing is starting to be the money pit! :)

mr.pipes

Thanks! :) Pipes Ill put that silver and the new shoes under advisement :hide: Damn thing is starting to be the money pit! :beer:

Cheers ~Duke

:disgust:

I was just busting your chops on the white. Your the one doing the work on your tractor so you call the shots. As far as the tires, it's just easier spending other peoples money. But anyways, it is looking real nice! :hide:

Any chance you might want to use those extra ponies for a Snow Chucker?

I know, you have some nice custom features on the Chucker that you probably couldn't live without :WRS:

Regardless, I'm glad you got around to working on the 417. Keep up the good work!

HorseFixer

:) Pipes from the Pipefitter to the Plumber I know yer Crackin on the Duke and its all good :hide: this machine is gonna be used just pullin around a lawn roller and areator so it wont need no nobbies you dont know how hard it is for me to do a clean up than completed restoration. I have to keep reminding myself this is a worker no need to do a trailer queen job at this point without even hearing it run yet, :hide: As far as ponies on the snow chucker? I have a line on a C-160 a guy wants to get rid of that he purchased with a newly aquired cabin. I like the idea of the big block single cylinder cause the cab heater will switch over fairly easy. But if I go any larger I would like to go to a full 20. I have a brand new lookin cab for a 520xi that I think could be adapted to a 4 or 500 series tractor.

What puzzels me is why people want a bigger engine in that snow chucker? That 12 does the job plenty well, yeah I suppose a 20 would throw it a few ft further and would be easier on the engine but man oh man they suck the fuel! :disgust: Anyways back to the 417, I did some measurements of the cylinder walls and it seems to be in pretty good shape. :WRS: Also cked the valves and found them to be pretty tight, an Ole trick is to put a piece of paper between the valve and the seat if after the valve closes and the paper rips when pulled the valve is probably ok. Replaced the head gaskets, plug and points, and condensor will put the engine in tomorrow by the evening should know what I have.

sgtsampay

Wow. Thats thing looks great! Nice to see another old girl is being given the atention that they need. Very nice.

Toejam

That realy does look nice... :hide: I was just thinking about white wheels on my 310. Yours are very nice and makes it look "cleaner". Keep up the awsome work. Nice shop too!

massey

You're doing some nice work there, good job.

can whlvr

looks great duke,i like the white wheels also

Butch

I like the wheels also. Was the paint brushed on using the POR 15 or did you run it through your gun?

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :disgust: Butch the inside of the Rims where the rust and pitting was, were painted with POR 15 along with the rust spots on the outside with a brush. The nice thing about POR Paint it is really thick, and is self leveling to where you cant see the brush marks. I then let them tack up a couple hours and sprayed them with VALSPAR and put a heat lamp on them for 24 hrs.

Okay today worked on the engine, had a problem at first to get the fuel pump to draw the fuel. :hide: So I ran a small hose from a little plastic tank I had and sit it on a stool next to the tractor so it would gravity feed and then the engine started right up. I then drained the oil and extended the oil drain line and changed oil in the engine after it was warmed up. I will now paint the engine and covers and install the sheetmetal covers back on the engine ( not good to run engine to long without them) :WRS:

I had to add oil to the tranny to get it to move it was like two qts low. It doesnt seem to be a speedster in reverse :hide: but fwd seems to go pretty good. The drain plug hex is stripped so I will need to somehow remove the damn thing <_< Any Ideas? It does have a new tranny filter. Anyway the Engine runs pretty good so looks like I'm good there. The hydraulic lift cyl seems to work fine. Cheers ~Duke :)

:beer:

buckrancher

The drain plug hex is stripped so I will need to somehow remove the damn thing <_< Any Ideas?

try a large eze out one big enough to just fit the hex

Brian

Cody

You could always drill up through the plug and use an easy out that way. The tractor looks great Duke.

mr.pipes

The drain plug hex is stripped so I will need to somehow remove the damn thing <_< Any Ideas?

Smash a torx bit in the stripped allen hole. I think they bite better than an easy-out or left-hand bit in this senario.

Weld a nut to it or tap it and weld a bolt.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out :hide:

HorseFixer

Pipes, great minds think alike! :) When I read Brians reply last night I was wonderin if an easy out would have enough "BITE SURFACE" for the easy out to work

Then I thought about the Torx Bit. :hide: either way will have to pull tractor up on Ramps to get a good swing with it :offtopic::thanks::ROTF: HEY wait a minute!! That's right I get to use my next Favorite friend SLUGGO JR. the 5lb Thor Mallet :hide: and maybe just maybe with the right swing I can prolly drive that Torx bit right through the tranny :beer:

Seriously the engine started running like crap a little later after the video which makes me think the suspect fuel pump diaphram may be bucked up (remember it was hard to get primed and going) It prolly dried out or something mabe a pin hole? :) I will most likely do that 1st then rebuild carb if needed.

The tranny doesnt seem to be very fast fwd and even less in reverse. The travel goes all the way both directions on the Cam Speed Control. The bushings dont apear to have very much play Altho Between Fwd and reverse the shaft prolly only rotates and 1/8 turn if that does that sound correct? :disgust: Filter has been changed with genuine WH Filter, Oil level is full topped off with 2 qts, lift cyl works fine buth up and down. Tractor has been sitting for 3 years prolly shows 962 hrs on the unit. Thats the whole reason I wanted to change oil. any thoughts? I could take a video of the movement of the linkage and Cam tonight if that would help but I think it is moving both ways full stroke. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe I just need to get engine running good and take it for a long spin and maybe it will loosen things up. :WRS:

truckin88

Pipes, great minds think alike! :) When I read Brians reply last night I was wonderin if an easy out would have enough "BITE SURFACE" for the easy out to work

Then I thought about the Torx Bit. :hide: either way will have to pull tractor up on Ramps to get a good swing with it :offtopic::thanks::ROTF: HEY wait a minute!! That's right I get to use my next Favorite friend SLUGGO JR. the 5lb Thor Mallet :hide: and maybe just maybe with the right swing I can prolly drive that Torx bit right through the tranny :beer:

Seriously the engine started running like crap a little later after the video which makes me think the suspect fuel pump diaphram may be bucked up (remember it was hard to get primed and going) It prolly dried out or something mabe a pin hole? :) I will most likely do that 1st then rebuild carb if needed.

The tranny doesnt seem to be very fast fwd and even less in reverse. The travel goes all the way both directions on the Cam Speed Control. The bushings dont apear to have very much play Altho Between Fwd and reverse the shaft prolly only rotates and 1/8 turn if that does that sound correct? :disgust: Filter has been changed with genuine WH Filter, Oil level is full topped off with 2 qts, lift cyl works fine buth up and down. Tractor has been sitting for 3 years prolly shows 962 hrs on the unit. Thats the whole reason I wanted to change oil. any thoughts? I could take a video of the movement of the linkage and Cam tonight if that would help but I think it is moving both ways full stroke. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe I just need to get engine running good and take it for a long spin and maybe it will loosen things up. :WRS:

how is the drive belt?

HorseFixer

Truckin will get back to your question in a minute! :WRS: Well today when I got home, I took apart the fuel pump and it had a bunch "O" chit in there that looked like Tar. I cleaned it all up and examined the parts and the diaphram was surprisingly it good shape. I reassembled the Fuel pump and took off the carb and cleaned it and installed a carb kit. It was in the same condition full of Mung & Drool. <_< I replaced the fuel line from the pump to the carb and fired it up and Waaaaaa Laaaaa Puuurs like a kitten. The next order of buisness was to paint the engine. I covered everything up with drop cloths, rags, newspaper and took off the wireing and shot the block & heads best I could. Tomorrow will clean and paint all the tin that goes on the engine also removed the chrome air cleaner off the old engine and the other (Used to be) Chromed exhaust pipe. decided to put it on as it looks better that the ole one. :disgust: while taking off Tin sheilds and exhaust On the old motor I noticed something :) The old MTR I took off had a 5" pulley and this one had a 4" pulley so there it is! Now truckin how is the belt you ask? "BRAND NEW" but guess that dont mean jack diddley if the pulley is different :hide: I just never thought of the belt being it was brand new and all. So there ya have it... looks like I will be taking off some pulleys and swapping them around tomorrow night. Well ya live and learn :thanks: at least I found the problem. :offtopic: Truckin I had to laugh when I seen yer post :) You were headin in the right direction! :hide: Looks like I have a good tractor! Im likin it!

Cheers ~Duke

stevebo

Duke,

Looks sharp !! I mounted my 3 point on my 417-8 yesterday. You may want to hook one of those bad boys up on yours and add a heavy weight box to counterbalance that 2 stage blower that I know will be on that machine this winter :hide:

HorseFixer

Thanks Stevebo :WRS: Ya know there may be a 3 point hitch in the future of this tractor. :) As far as this Machine as the snow chucker :hide: Nope If I make the move to a twin it will be a 520 and before I do that I will have to look at how to Duct the heated air of the sheet metal shroud surrounding the engine into the cab. This would require a manometer & infra red thermometer (I have both) to measure the air pressure at its strongest point and also Temp to duct into the cab. Now since this engine relies on the engine shrouds to direct the airflow over the heads and other engine parts to cool them selecting an exhaust port placement for ducting the heated air is critical to keep the engine cool. :disgust: Speaking of engine Tin and shrouds I will be painting them tonight. I am also soaking the air cleaner and exaust in wood bleach so Im wonder how that will look? :hide: The exhaust Im not expecting to much because the chrome was about burnt off.

Cheers ~Duke

HorseFixer

Got all the Sheet metal engine covers painted and installed and also installed the hood on the tractor and wired all the lights. I had switched the 5" pully off of the old engine on to the new engine in the tractor and what a difference that made! :WRS: No problem with this hydro..... Damn thing can do a wheel stand. :) Oh and those Brand new Raffel Hubcaps MJ WON me at the 2009 WHCC Show... well they will come in pretty handy. :hide: It rained all day <_< wish it would dry up so I can take it for a spin. Here are some pics.

DSCN3161.jpg

DSCN3163.jpg

DSCN3166.jpg

DSCN3164.jpg

DSCN3168.jpg

DSCN3169.jpg

Butch

Looks good Duke!! :hide: :WRS:

multihobbyguy

Congrats! You have a very fine looking machine.

dclarke

Nice job Duke!! I really like the hub caps.

sgtsampay

Wow, that tractor is very purdy. Very nice. :hide:

Audioshot

Outstanding!

can whlvr

real nice,what are you going to use her for?

Ken B

Duke that looks fantastic! I love hubcaps (ask Stevebo) but your tractor looks just as good without them as it does with them. :hide: