Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

417A Repair

HorseFixer

A couple years ago I picked up a 417A it had a blown engine and was in pretty bad repair. Although I have a small yard I need a tractor for aerating, rolling and would like to have a tiller someday for gardening. I cleaned up the tractor a little a couple years ago when I brought it home and it has sit in my shop since. Last year at the WHCC show I picked up a good used engine from Jerry Ole N Red. Since I have been working on cleaning my shop I finally have enough room to move around! :WRS: I first installed 2 new front tires on it and replaced the front bearings. I then removed the hood and then the blown engine. I decided to give it another degreasing after letting it dry for a 1/2 hr I seen water still dripping underneath. I looked a little closer and discovered a bunch of stuff under the shift console, and boy did I :hide: Yep this tractor was home to many a mice from the previous owner! Well after 3 hrs of cleaning I was able to get it somewhat respectable. The plans is to do a good clean up and touch up the paint, Install the replacement engine, flush gas tank replace fuel line, Install new battery change oil, and see what I have. If all is mechanically sound I will get a replacement seat do more maintenance & take the paint Job a little further

Irv

Looks like a pretty clean tractor, should turn out nice. Those mice will get in em' for sure. I always put a couple bounce fabric sheets around when I put them away for a while, keeps the mice out.

HorseFixer

Thanks Irv :) Yeah I use those softener sheets in the garage cabinets and In my RV and I know they work well just didn't realize It had the nest when I brought it home. :WRS: Anyways tonight my pal stopped by and gave me some help. took the gas tank off and was able to get at more crud decided to give it more cleaning. After rinsing I looked over at the right tire and noticed it was low so's I thought I would air it up thats when I discovered another treat :hide: Put a shot of air in and immediately I got a stream of water out of a pinhole in the rim shooting water up like a fountain. :hide: WTF next? This is turning out to be quite a doosey. Well guess the rims are coming off getting blasted primed painted and and getting tubed. Another friend showed up long about that time and wanted me to introduce him to Ole 417A but I showed diligence and didn't. :disgust:

can whlvr

that tractor dont look too bad,you should see the 414 i just picked up,that was a mess

HorseFixer

that tractor dont look too bad,you should see the 414 i just picked up,that was a mess

Thanks Don :) Yeah its not really. I guess I just keep running into these little treats that make things interesting and absorb more of my time. Every project I get into I cant figure out where to stop and draw the line. :hide: Didn't want to get into a full blown resto on this. :WRS: ~Duke

sgtsampay

I think sir you may just need to give it a full restore. Once you do it, it won't have to be done for a long time after. I rather fix everything at once then a little here and there.

Just my 2cents.

Otherwise, very nice solid tractor you got going there. can;t wait to see it at the show. LOL.

HorseFixer

I think sir you may just need to give it a full restore. Once you do it, it won't have to be done for a long time after. I rather fix everything at once then a little here and there.

Just my 2cents.

Otherwise, very nice solid tractor you got going there. can;t wait to see it at the show. LOL.

Thanks Sarge, :hide: I have it pretty much torn down to the rear axel tires off and I think I will finish degreasing frame best I can wipe everything down with lacquer thinner light sand any rust prime & paint all cast Iron parts with a brush I Just PU a gallon of Valspar IH Red Restoration With hardener at TSC last night So I will use that. I will airbrush the frame so I can get at things better. The two major pieces (large size pieces of this tractor) Rear fender & axel cover I plan to do a mask off of decals and quick sand prime & Shoot because I haven't even got the machine running yet :WRS: and over the winter I will spend allot of time and do those pieces allot better. I called TD yesterday on the decals and he wasn

sgtsampay

Hey thats what I did for my tractor. I went to tractor supply got a can of MF red paint and then air brush the whole thing primer and then gave it a few coast of black and red and i was done. Mine is a worker as well but dang I just love seeing that thing look all shiny going down the lawn mowing. :WRS:

Also, my paint job should keep the rust away for a little while anyway..

Now for the show queens, you did two coats of POR and then clear coats? Wow, that must of been kinda expensive.. Wow, I bet here look nice though. I can't wait to see them at the show this year. :hide:

HorseFixer

Now for the show queens, you did two coats of POR and then clear coats? Wow, that must of been kinda expensive.. Wow, I bet here look nice though. I can't wait to see them at the show this year. :WRS:

Sarge, Not POR but 2 coats of PPG Urethane Color And then 2 coats of PPG Urethane clear. Now I do use POR matter of fact I just put a coat on the inside of the Pitted rear rims that had a pinhole in them. I have used it for years and love the stuff. Problem is they dont make it in IH red. for rusted metal its the best but ya have to top coat it with other paint as the UV rays Buck it up. Its the Crazyest paint as it cures faster in wet humid air and like takes 10 times as long to cure in dry desert air. Havent used it on a Mower Deck Yet but they make a product even better for that its called hardnose that stuff drys almost as hard as ceramic. Anyways Sarge take care.

Cheers ~Duke

:hide:

HorseFixer

Spent today prepping and painting the frame and mounted the tires back on the cured POR painted rims that had a pin hole through one of them due to someone putting Windshield Anti Freeze in them. <_< I decided to put tubes in just in case. I also picked up a new seat from Rural King for 39.00 on sale to replaced the one that was all Bucked up. I think Duff said it best a few days ago when he said A new Seat & Paint Job has to make it run better! :hide: Tomorrow will start painting sheet metal and reassembling.

can whlvr

i a gree that all of these machines dont need to be trailer queens duke,they need to pull their weight too,it costs enough to get them back in form so some payoff is needed that means working them,and your tractor is lookin real nice

HorseFixer

Did some painting the past couple days, also installed the gas tank & Sheet metal brackets. MJ masked off all the decals on the hood and seat pan/rear fenders so got those painted along with the seat mount and brackets. Decided to take all the sheetmetal off the engine will clean it up and paint. Most likely will at leat take flywheel off and do some inspection of it and stator. A couple questions, Do they make a nice LED for the rear? Also how about the gas tank cap fuel gauge was that a stock thing or aftermarket? the one I have is fooo barrred. :WRS:

Cheers ~Duke

dobeleo

I would love to stop by during my next business trip to South Bend and see all your machines and get some pointers!

can whlvr

fuel gauge was stadard on the newer modlels,its listed on the toro parts break down and it seems that all of my rear gas tanks have the gauge,mine were all cloudy too,so i replaced some of them

dclarke

lookin good Duke!!! :hide:

Ken B

Look good Duke. Do I see in the future the snow chucker being mounted on this tractor?

truckin88

Did some painting the past couple days, also installed the gas tank & Sheet metal brackets. MJ masked off all the decals on the hood and seat pan/rear fenders so got those painted along with the seat mount and brackets. Decided to take all the sheetmetal off the engine will clean it up and paint. Most likely will at leat take flywheel off and do some inspection of it and stator. A couple questions, Do they make a nice LED for the rear? Also how about the gas tank cap fuel gauge was that a stock thing or aftermarket? the one I have is fooo barrred. :WRS:

Cheers ~Duke

Duke,

The gas gauge was stock, but among many brands, and can be found many places on the net, cheaper than through toro, Stens makes a nice replacement.

Also you can get LED tails, they are in the trailer section at wally world (or any plae with a trailer section). They are direct bolt on, as all WH lights were, were trailer lights. They run about $8 each. (Same tail as on your C-100)

-Will

Butch

Lookin good there Dukester!! :hide: :WRS:

Suburban 550

Lookin' good, Duke. :WRS: Did ya give up on the round hoods ? :hide:

JimD

Duke, this is lookin like more than a freshen up job. Looks great! :hide:

Horse'n Around

That's coming along really nice :hide:

John

Butch

Duke are you painting this inside? If so what kind of setup do you have? I have some painting to do and thought of doing it inside if I can trap the overspray somehow. And save my brain cells also!! :hide:

HorseFixer

:WRS: Thanks Guys! :hide: It really looks better in the pictures than up close. I did not prep the hood and parts nearly as well as they needed. I cleaned up the bad rust and sealed it and that will preserve it until I have time to do the FULL MONTY on it, like I said before its respectable but thats about it. Yes Butch was painted inside tried to do most of the painting by open garage door with fan blowing it outside worked pretty well still have some overspray tho. Here are some pics of the work I have done lately footrests are on with new ribbed mats I made from lowes black carpet runner. steering columb has new bearing thanks KIWI MIKE for Idea on that type of bearing. Mounted the seat pan and polished lenses and mounted taillights on seat pan. mounted the eat to brackets then to seat pan. I had to cut and make some delrin spacer blocks from seat to adjustment slides. Had to drill holes in seat adjustment rails in order to mount correctly but it worked swell. Really like the seat and it feels like Gel so guess my azz is Gellin :disgust: Replaced the gas cap gauge, Replaced rubber Knob on tranny lever, replaced PTO Safety and Brake safety switches. Will mount steering columb tomorrow. rest of dash columb and install steering wheel, Install engine and battery and wire everything up. By late tomorrow or Sunday should have tractor running. Hopefully the engine is okay. :)

tbbahner

Nice work! Looks like a really nice shop too.

Tom B

mr.pipes

Looks good! Hope the engine runs well for you.

It sure would look good with some new rubbers out back to match the nice turf masters up front .

Maybe over the winter when you paint the rims silver? :hide:

EDIT: OOPPS, I left out "good" and wrote come instead of "some"