Sign in to follow this  
theoldwizard1

Toro mower

theoldwizard1

Living in suburbia, my little 1/4 acre lot just doesn't have enough space to let a horse "run" and my 2 car garage is already full. So I am stuck (currently) with a 3 speed Toro walk behind mower (Super Recycler, Model #20470).

Last year, the transmission failed and I bought a used one off of eBay. It works fine, but some how I must have messed up reinstalling the drive wheel/gears (which act as a differential) because now one side or the other slip/skips (does not drive the wheel).

The diagrams are not the best for re-assembly. Does anyone have any tips ?

mavfreak

many years ago I worked for a gentleman who had sold for equipment for a toro dealer (big golf course stuff) anyway he had 3 or 4 toro pro walk behind the two stroke buggers (unless in high gear then they were sprint behinds) but we never had any luck when the trans went bad and way to expensive to have toro fix even for him. It also seamed to me that once the trans came off a unit they just didn't seam to work right on the next one.

I don't know if TT (Terry) ever worked an any of these, if he did he may be able to help.

gwest_ca

Is there anything in the drive systems service manual you can download from Toro?

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Enter the 20470 model number and use 7912345 for a serial number.

There is also a 1 page Wheel Clutch Assembly Guide

Garry

TT

The pinion gears aren't side-specific, but the keys (on the axles) that drive them are.

Try swapping the keys side for side and see if that fixes it.

theoldwizard1

The pinion gears aren't side-specific, but the keys (on the axles) that drive them are.

Good tip ! I'll remember it if I ever have to take that apart again.

Confession time. :hide: I screwed up when I put it back together !

I put the Clutch Washer (part 23 in diagram; white nylon, engages the key Terry is talking about) in backwards. I don't know how it worked at all ! I might have missed it a second time, if I hadn't just had my son's Toro apart.

Thanks again !!