Sign in to follow this  
rexman72

417A

rexman72

hi all i need some advice.I have a 86 417A wheelhorse that goes 7mph in reverse and 2 mph going forward.its almost like the reverse and forward are reversed.any ideas would be helpful.

shorts

check the linkage adjustment, these hydrostats should work equally well in both directions if they work in 1 direction

rexman72

check the linkage adjustment, these hydrostats should work equally well in both directions if they work in 1 direction

thankyou i will check it.is the linkage under the seat and fender?do i have to take that off to get to the linkage?

rexman72

ok i adjusted the cam plate so the tractor goes alittle faster but the cam still can move forward alittle more to make it go faster and i cant figure it out how to get it to the end.any ideas because if i get it to the end of the forward plate that tractor ill take off.thanks

smoreau

Sounds like part of the linkage is warn not allowing it to move the control in the pump far enough.

rexman72

ok i adjusted the bolt on the cam and the tractor seems to go faster in forward but the cam doesnt want to move all the way forward to move the fastest it goes.it seems like the rod going from the motion lever to the cam may be to long.does anyone know if you can adjust the rod so it will go to the end of the cam or any other ideas would be great.thanks.

SAM58

:thumbs: See if you can find a service manual for it, there should be complete instructions for adjusting the linkage... :wh:

I have seen the linkage loose under the center consol plate. Also the rod has threads so you can shorten, or lengthen.

Probally has several hours on it..

Not hard to do. :D

illinilefttackle

The cam plate has slots in it that wear-and don't push the control levers on the pump far enough-get a new plate and you are good to go-Al

Forest Road

Pull the covers off so you can see all of the linkage. Somehting may have dropped in there preventing you from moving to full forward. I had a 520 w/ a bolt stuck in the linkage somehow. It costs the PO quite a bit at point of sale. Go me!!!

rexman72

The cam plate has slots in it that wear-and don't push the control levers on the pump far enough-get a new plate and you are good to go-Al

i took the fender and consol off and adjusted the rod going from the motion lever to the cam plate and now the tractor is running the way it should be.I did order a cam plate because the existing plate is worn.This tractor is new to me and i thankyou guys for helping me out.i have many other questions that i will be asking about it later.this site has so many good people with alot of knowledge.thanks again.

dunk50

Could I ask where you ordered the cam plate from???

rexman72

Could I ask where you ordered the cam plate from???

yes i got it from partstree.com