Sign in to follow this  
Pollack Pete

Tie Rods

Pollack Pete

I'm replacing a tie rod on my Commando 8.Has anyone else here used the ones from Stens? They seem like they should be a little longer on the threaded end.To get the right length,the adjustable end is only screwed on a couple turns.If they made them 1/2 or 3/4 inch longer,I'd have all kinds of adjustment.Any comments besides if you want something done right.....you have to do it yourself( make your own ).

Duff

I tried the Stens on a 312-8 and found I only had about two threads left if I tried to get any toe-in at all. I've since gone to building my own to get maximum adjustment.

Duff :thumbs:

can whlvr

i built a pair and the rest are still wired up

Electro12WH

I used fine thread bolts w/ the heads cut off and welded into steel pipe.

redtin

:thumbs:

Electro12WH

:thumbs:

Of what? The old tie rods? The tractor? Or my wife?

Giles

Giles Posted on: April 05, 2011 06:07 pm

Replies: 12

Views: 439 http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n498/Yelrug/P4050017.jpged to fabricate these for my C175

I made these for my C175--

The Tie Rod Ends are Stens 245-068 All are Right hand 3/8-24 thread. I cut off the heads of three bolts and welded them inside a 3/8 sch. 40 pipe.

While welding the studs, I decided that a long length of 3/8-24 all thread, could be slipped through a section of pipe after running a 3/8 drill bit through it. That would require no welding. The pipe would then be used for cosmetic purposes. I already had the bolts and some scrap pipe.

My total cost was less then $30.00 for the Rod Ends.

Clarkbug

I made my own set from my broken tie-rods. I cut the ends off the old ones, turned down a few inches, and threaded it, then purchased some ball-joint ends from McMaster-Carr. So far so good!

Electro12WH

While welding the studs, I decided that a long length of 3/8-24 all thread, could be slipped through a section of pipe

I only seem to find redi-rod in course thread sizes.

Duff

While welding the studs, I decided that a long length of 3/8-24 all thread, could be slipped through a section of pipe

I only seem to find redi-rod in course thread sizes.

Ran into the same problem and had to order it from McMaster-Carr. Since I was going to that trouble anyway, I got it in stainless. A few dollars more but it'll never rust! I've now got them sleeved in aluminum.

Duff :hide:

Duff

:WRS:

Newtractorpix1004.jpg

Duff :hide: