Sign in to follow this  
sscotsman

Spring maintenance on a Round Hood.

sscotsman

Hey Everyone,

Im gathering materials together to do the first Spring maintenance work on my new (to me) 854..(just bought it in February.)

Never done this kind of work on a tractor before.

I have the 854 owners manual, and the Kohler K181 owners and service manuals.

I have them printed out, and placed in binders.

Since the "Spring maintenance" info is scattered all over in various manuals, im making one or two documents that list all the relevant "things to be done" so its all together in one place..here are my documents so far:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Other/Whee...ntenance1-O.jpg

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Other/Whee...ntenance2-O.jpg

(not complete yet)

I have the engine oil under control, no questions there.

I found some interesting info on the Trans gear lube..

a few questions still unanswered:

Air Filter model number?

Spark Plug number?

(you would think those numbers would be listed in the Kohler manuals, but I dont see them anywhere.)

Amount of gear lube for the trans?

(again..why isnt that in the manual??)

And im not clear on all the oil and grease points..on my "page two"...

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Other/Whee...ntenance2-O.jpg

...I plan to list everything that needs to be oiled or greased..

One thing I have never really understood..How do you know if something should be greased? or oiled? is there some "rule of thumb" to know the difference?

Axels I guess should be greased..but im not clear what should be oiled..and why oil vs. grease should be used for different things..(and it seems that the drawing of the tractor, from the 854 owners manual, must be missing a LOT of oil and grease points?? that cant be all there is that needs to be lubed?)

Suggestions and ideas welcome! please! :thumbs:

thanks,

Scot

tunahead72

Scot,

I'm surprised Kohler doesn't list the air filter and spark plug information in the manuals, but I just realized my K241 manual doesn't include the air filter information either. Look again, if it's not in a specifications table, sometimes they hide it in the actual text or a drawing, maybe in the instructions for replacing those things.

Somebody here probably can give you that information off the top of their head (I can't, sorry). If all else fails, try the Kohler web site, or opeengines.com (very good source for Kohler parts), or one of the vendors here.

On the gear lube, my 854 manual specifies (under "BEFORE YOU START" on the first page) about 3 pints of S.A.E. 40 gear lube (fill to level of filler plug on left rear side of trans.).

It also specifies a light machine oil for all moving parts "to keep joints from wearing and squeaking" -- I wish there were a way to lubricate my body that easily! :thumbs:

From the photo/diagrams/parts list there, it looks like your tractor has 4 grease fittings (2 front wheel spindles, center axle pivot and maybe bottom of steering shaft?), and the front wheel bearings get packed manually, everything else gets oil -- I don't have an 854, just a manual, so I'll be watching for the advice of others here as well.

I believe this is the correct manual (10-16-63 FORM No. 176) -- can anybody verify that the 854 was only produced for the 1964 model year?

Hope this helps!

sscotsman

thanks Ed! :thumbs:

can anybody verify that the 854 was only produced for the 1964 model year?

yes, I can verify that.

the "4" in 854 means 1964 specifically.

(8= 8hp engine, 5= electric start)

the 854 was only made in 1964.

Scot

squonk

Autolite #216 for the plug. I use them in all of my Kohler 1 barrells.

sscotsman

Thanks Mike! :wh:

another good one for the list..

So im again experiencing an odd phenomenon, which I first experienced two years ago when I started working on my 1971 Ariens snowblower:

I think "back in the day"..30, 40, 50 years ago, some things were SO obvious that the engine and tractor/mower/snowblower manufacturers didnt feel the need to explain them in detail! :D because everyone already knew it..Back then, boys grew up learning about tractors and engines from their fathers and grandfathers, and some things were probably just considered "common knowledge"..Well I think 50 years of suburbanization has taken a toll on that concept..and im a clear example..

My grandfather was born on a farm..in 1911..but by the time I knew him, in the 1970's, he was living in a small-town house with a teeny yard and only owned a push mower...My Dad also never owned anything more complex than a push mower..Im now 42 years old, and had never sat my butt on any kind of tractor in my entire life until a few months ago! :wh: and im not a "city boy" either..im from a small semi-rural town (Waverly, NY) surounded by farm land..its like a suburb, but without any "urb" nearby that it can be a "sub" of..if that makes sense..but even growing up far from any real city, in "small town America", tractors were completely foreign to me..

So check out what the Kohler owners, and SERVICE manual, has to say about the fuel filter:

FUEL FILTER

Some engines are equipped with an in-line fuel filter.

Visually inspect the filter periodically and replace when dirty with a genuine Kohler filter.

hmmm..thanks Kohler! :D

I guess im just supposed to instinctively know if my engine has a fuel filter or not? what it looks like? how to tell if its dirty? how to replace it? what its part number is? how to even FIND it? :D

50 years ago, when my tractor was new, I doubt anyone had any of these problems...interesting.

So I know my engine has an air filter, because that is big and obvious.

but I have no idea if it has an oil filter, or a fuel filter..and Kohler isnt telling me! :thumbs:

anyone know about the oil or fuel filter?

1964 Kohler 8HP K181.

thanks,

Scot

piecrazy4

No oil filter and fuel filter should be a screen in the tank.

shorts

the kohler K series engines use a splash type oil system, just an extension on the bottom of the connecting rod to dip into the oil and splash oil up into the engine, no pressurized oil pump is used therefore no oil filter.

follow the fuel line from the tank to the engine, if it has a spliced in canister either metal or plastic about 1 inch in dia. and 2 inches long, that's the filter. take it out and replace it with a new one, you can use either an OEM Kohler or a generic will fit from the auto parts, just ask for an inline fuel filter probably for 1/4 inch fuel line.

while your working on the fuel system if the rubber hoses show signs of cracking or checking now is the time to replace them with new fuel compatable "unleaded, 10%alcohol" hose.

sscotsman

Thanks everyone for the input so far! :wh:

So I was planning to do an oil change today..

I cant get the drain plug off! :thumbs:

I assume this must be the engine oil drain:

drain1-L.jpg

drain2-L.jpg

Im just curious..is it supposed to be round? is that original? or some aftermarket drain cap? it seems a standard hex shape would be better, so I could get a wrench on it..

but for now, because its round, I cant get a good grip on it..the pliers just slip..

I think I have fairly average hand strength, but giving it all the pressure I can muster, it still just slips..any suggestions on how to get that plug off?

since I cant do an oil change yet, im going to go out and mess around with the mower deck instead..see if I can get that up and running..

thanks,

Scot

Calebintn

Looks like a drain plug/cap to me, but you have the wrong tool.

Try a pair of vice grips or a small pipe wrench, you may have to use one on the cap & one on the tube to keep it from spinning out and making a mess.

Lets us know how it goes.

sscotsman

ah yes! vice grips..I dont believe I own any..

time to buy a new tool! :thumbs:

thanks Cale.

Scot

tunahead72

time to buy a new tool! :wh:

Yeah, that's a shame, huh? Good thing they're so versatile! :thumbs:

I believe Calebintn has the right approach. I don't think I've ever seen a round cap like that, but my copy of the owner's manual shows it to be in the right spot, and it may actually have come that way from the factory. It's a 3/8" cap (part 5224), screwed onto a 4" nipple (5223) that's screwed into a 90 degree elbow (5222).

Once you get it off, you may want to consider replacing it with a hex head cap -- it should be a standard thread size, but I can't tell you what that is, bring the old one with you to match it up.

If your oil drains too far OUT for you to catch it cleanly, you can also replace the cap with another elbow and a plug to direct the oil straight down into your container, or wherever you have to point it to clear your clutch pedal (you may just have to use a funnel).

And if you get any oil seepage around any of the threaded areas, you can try using just a little bit of high temperature thread sealant the next time you change your oil, works well for me.

TT

It's a 3/8" cap (part 5224)..........

.........it should be a standard thread size, but I can't tell you what that is

3/8" (NPT) :thumbs:

tunahead72

Well, there you go!

Thanks Terry, you always seem to show up to fill in a missing detail. :thumbs:

sscotsman

Vice grips did the trick on the round drain plug! :WRS:

So I got it loose (just a little) fired up the engine for a few minutes to warm up the oil, turned it back off, and started draining out the oil..let it sit and drain for an hour or so while I did other things, then went out to the Ace hardware to get some things...thought to myself earlier in the day "I dont need to make a list, I will remember everything".. :disgust:

Got out to the store..need a sparkplug, oil, maybe an air filter if I can find one, dont need a gear puller anymore, since I got the pulley off (discussed in another thread..)

but yep..left the oil plug at home! sitting on the seat of the tractor. :hide:

(I was going to look for a hex-head plug)..oh well..I just re-installed the round one, tightened it up with the vice grips, but not as tight as it was before..I will be able to get it back off next time..

Got the oil changed, spark plug changed, still need a new air filter (the one on it isnt too bad though..I might just use it for this season)

Got the mower deck installed and running! that was an interesting project..had no clue what I was doing! :) but I figured it out..

Got everything done except a transmission oil change..I will do that this week.

and still need to grease and oil some things around the tractor..

but overall, a successful day!

One big thing I still want to do too..change the breather filter..I will have to mail order those parts from somewhere..

thanks for the help everyone!

Scot

air filters for your Kohler are as close as your local O'Reilly Auto parts. they should be able to find it by engine in the Primeline catalog , or look it up in Wix filters. if you have the old filter there may be a number on it for them to cross

Wix Filters has an excellent online catalog to look up your own filters numbers. we use it all the time , covers just about anything with a filter. i was able to get new filters from O'Reilly last week for a H60 Tecumseh and a K161 Kohler

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

FYI , Gates has an online catalog for belts,,but i believe it's only available to parts stores and distributors. we use that all the time also

sscotsman

air filters for your Kohler are as close as your local O'Reilly Auto parts.

Thanks 305..

I have never heard of O'reilly auto parts before..so I googled them:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/fi/storelocator.oap

turns out there are everywhere except the north east! :hide:

oh well..

I dont think I have anywhere locally that actually stocks Kohler parts in the store..

(not that I need an actual Kohler air filter..but I wouldnt mind using the genuine parts, if they are readily available..) But I will probably need to mail order it anyway, along with the breather filter assembly.

I have a Napa autoparts nearby, I might try them for the airfilter..I doubt they would have the breather though..

anyone have any favorite mail order places they use for Kohler parts?

thanks,

Scot

tunahead72

Scot,

Really good to hear you've got things straightened out on your machine! :hide:

My local NAPA store carries a lot of genuine Kohler parts in stock, at reasonable prices, they're still my #1 choice if I need something NOW.

I generally prefer the genuine Kohler item if it's available, the air filter is a good case in point -- the Stens or other aftermarket air filters that I've seen don't have nearly the same number of pleats as the Kohler part, I think it matters, others will disagree.

I've bought online from OPEEngines.com, PartsTree.com, JacksSmallEngines.com, very good results from all of them. You could also try the vendors on this forum.

Did you ever install a fuel filter on your machine? I would, highly recommended with all the junk you find in gas these days. I prefer something clear, so you can see when it's dirty. Briggs & Stratton makes a nice 60 micron filter that works well, and the local independent parts place I've been going to for close to 30 years knows what I'm talking about when I specify a filter that "looks like the one I had in my '68 VW Bug". :)

The transmission fluid change should be straightforward, lots of tips here if you have questions, ask away if you don't find the answers you need.

Carry on, I'm off to read about your pulley adventure.... :WRS:

mr.pipes

(I was going to look for a hex-head plug)..oh well..I just re-installed the round one, tightened it up with the vice grips, but not as tight as it was before..I will be able to get it back off next time..

You should be able to find a 3/8" cap at your local hardware store in the plumbing department. Should be with the black malleable pipe fittings. You can add a 45 or 90 if that will make it any easier to collect the oil next time.

rustbucket

one place ive gone for air filters and small engines parts is tractor supply company.

sscotsman

Scot,

My local NAPA store carries a lot of genuine Kohler parts in stock, at reasonable prices, they're still my #1 choice if I need something NOW.

I generally prefer the genuine Kohler item if it's available, the air filter is a good case in point -- the Stens or other aftermarket air filters that I've seen don't have nearly the same number of pleats as the Kohler part, I think it matters, others will disagree.

I've bought online from OPEEngines.com, PartsTree.com, JacksSmallEngines.com, very good results from all of them. You could also try the vendors on this forum.

Did you ever install a fuel filter on your machine? I would, highly recommended with all the junk you find in gas these days. I prefer something clear, so you can see when it's dirty. Briggs & Stratton makes a nice 60 micron filter that works well, and the local independent parts place I've been going to for close to 30 years knows what I'm talking about when I specify a filter that "looks like the one I had in my '68 VW Bug". :disgust:

The transmission fluid change should be straightforward, lots of tips here if you have questions, ask away if you don't find the answers you need.

Thanks Ed! :)

I will give Napa a try for that Kohler air filter..

I like to support the local Napa rather than Home Depot or Lowes..try to keep the small shops in buisness..

No, I havent looked into installing a fuel filter yet, but I will check into it..

My tractor does have a sediment bowl installed!

not sure if that is original or not..

Is a sediment bowl a form of fuel filter? im not sure exactly what it is, or what it does..

thanks,

Scot

Martin

Scot,

Did you ever install a fuel filter on your machine? I would, highly recommended with all the junk you find in gas these days. I prefer something clear, so you can see when it's dirty. Briggs & Stratton makes a nice 60 micron filter that works well, and the local independent parts place I've been going to for close to 30 years knows what I'm talking about when I specify a filter that "looks like the one I had in my '68 VW Bug". :disgust:

Thanks Ed! :)

I will give Napa a try for that Kohler air filter..

I like to support the local Napa rather than Home Depot or Lowes..try to keep the small shops in buisness..

No, I havent looked into installing a fuel filter yet, but I will check into it..

My tractor does have a sediment bowl installed!

not sure if that is original or not..

Is a sediment bowl a form of fuel filter? im not sure exactly what it is, or what it does..

thanks,

Scot

hi scot,

see you are getting your hands dirty on that 854!

napa will have the kohler air filters, and they will also have the napa branded part. up to you what you get, i know my napa only stocks the napa brand and has to order the kohler.

as far as the sediment bowl, its use is mainly to catch larger "sediment" its good to keep it there, unscrew the bowl holder and clean the glass bowl. you will probably need a gasket for the bowl, napa should have them as well. ive heard mention that some have a screen in them, but both my 1054 and 875 do not. the tractors had the sediment bowl on them originally. i would still add an inline filter because the sediment bowl doesnt catch nearly enough garbage, just get one at the napa store. its 1/4 inch and i also like the body clear so you can check it at a glance to see if its dirty. you can just put it in a convenient place in the rubber fuel line from tank to pump. just cut out a section of line the length of the filter middle section allowing enough for the line to fit over each nipple end without stretching the hose or having it bunch up.

martin.

sscotsman

Hey everyone, its now a new Spring season! :)

the beginning of my 2nd year with the 854..

Thanks for all the help last season! I got a lot of great advice and suggestions for keeping the tractor well maintained..much appreciated! icon-thumbsup.gif

I did all the "big" stuff last spring, oil change, basic lube and greasing, etc..

but I think im still missing some of the more obscure lubrication points..

I wasnt too worried about it last season, because I bought the tractor from a RS member, and it was already in good running order

when I bought it last Spring..but its been a full year now, and I want to make sure I get everything..dont want any necessary lubrication points to dry out..

They say "a picture is worth a thousand words"..does that mean a video is worth a million words?

thanks,

Scot

can whlvr

im not sure how much you run this machine but you should change the motor oil at about 20 hours,some say 25 but i like to change more often to avoid excess wear,and they dont take muck oil so its not a huge cost