Sign in to follow this  
JosephC

Carb problem

JosephC

I was mowing my lawn on friday and I was using my 1982 Workhorse GT1142 when about half way thru my mowing, it starts acting like the govener is kicking in and out like it is reving up and down. I first thought it was overheating or my plug wire was loose. But last week I pulled off all the engine shrouding and cleaned out all the fins along with putting in a new sparkplug. While I was checking out the motor, I was looking at the carb and saw that the little brass bushings that hold the choke plate shaft and the throttle plate shafts were gone and letting the shafts slop around in their holes. I think I am getting an air leak because of this. I want to fix this problem and is there a kit to fix this??? My second thought is to repower this tractor with a Honda or a older Kohlar.

Buzz

I'm not sure if you can replace the bushings in a Briggs carburetor or not. your tractor should have an 11 hp Briggs # 252417-0259-01 and that takes carburetor

# 397486 which is no longer available. I checked on Partstree and saw on the carburetor breakdown that it has replacement bushings for the throttle shaft # 691769 (replaced # 23108) Might want to check with your local small engine dealer. If your engine is still in good shape it would be a lot cheaper to fix it than replace it...........

JosephC

Thank you for the help on my briggs carb. But, does any one know what size,model, type of Kohlar carb would fit??? Or what carb I could use because I tore the carb apart and found that I have other issues with this carb than I first thought. This carb is just plane worn out. It amazes me that it has worked this long. Thank you