corn53

:hide: Lookin good!!!

whfan74

Martin,

It is really turning out nice. You are going to love it when you are done. I feel like we are cruising right along together on our restores. I am looking forward to seeing it in person! :hide:

Martin

another update. its getting there slowly..... man, theres alot of stuff that needs to get done in the background to keep the build going smooth. seems everywhere you do something, theres something that needs fixing, welding, fabricating etc to get stuff right to put back together. this is turning into more work than i originally wanted to do, but im not going to skip over stuff thats worn out just to get it back together.

anybody thats done a complete teardown, whether a worker rebuild or total restore will most likely agree when i say that this is the only way to really get to know your tractor.... and im really enjoying getting to know the 1054 model :hide:

heres the pics :WRS:

CIMG0954.jpg

CIMG0955.jpg

CIMG0956.jpg

CIMG0958.jpg

CIMG0959.jpg

CIMG0960.jpg

CIMG0961.jpg

CIMG0962.jpg

coldone

Thats some nice work you are doing there. Nice fabbing on the patch and box areas.

MikesRJ

Beautiful work! :hide: :WRS:

travlndave

Martin:

I am at my parents in Gary today.

David and I were just looking at your posted progress report on the 1054 from this weekend. Really looking good.

Looks like you changed every bolt!

Did you rebuild the throttle and choke cable handles? Looks like they have new bolts and parts on them.

I am getting ready to build two new cables for a 1054 soon too.

What type of materaisl did you use on the foot rests?

:hide:

Martin

thanks for the comments guys,

the pictures are my buffer for this "10 foot restore"

the high quality work and ingenuity that some of you achieve really raises the bar for first time tractor guys like me. :hide:

lane/david,

i like to use new fasteners whenever i can, makes things go together much easier, looks better too. even though they are an added expense, they save you time if you plan ahead :WRS: because you dont have extra labor in cleaning them and painting. plus the plating just seems better than a painted bolt head. i used to have a zinc plater close to me back home when i was building cars and that was great. i would usually get enough used fasteners/ plated parts done and just pick the best stuff to use. nothing close around here so its mail order for the weird stuff from mcmaster carr or some hardware stores have the white zinc stuff thats more common.

i also chase any threads for fasteners.

the choke and throttle handles were disassembled and cleaned. the plastic washers/bushings were in excellent shape so were reused. i painted the handles and mounting brackets with chrome rattle can. looks about the same as newly plated zinc and a whole lot better than the weathered finish. as most of the part is covered anyway i didnt bother using powder on them. the rattle cans are getting used for minor parts so i dont have to wait to take parts into work to paint and fit in during my busy week.

the foot rest material is course grade skateboard deck tape that you can get from most of the skate shops around. having raised 2 teenage boys with my wife so far made it a given that i was familiar with grip tape. :)

ChiefRider

Very nice!

Martin

well its been a couple of weeks since my last post, so heres an update.

ive been getting another lot of parts ready to powdercoat. fabbed a shifter plate, steering linkage and clutch/brake linkage. installed choke and throttle cables and a few other things.

only have a few pics of the shifter plate fab and one the 1054 outside with the 875.

still need to repair the steering wheel, make a fuel line and do the wiring/electrical and should be mobile.

shifter plate....

CIMG0967.jpg

my weapon of choice for metalwork, grinder and thin 4.5 cutoff wheel..........

CIMG0965.jpg

this is from another thread of mine last weekend.....

1054 slowly getting there with 875....

CIMG0974.jpg

312Hydro

It's hard for me to call that a "worker", it just looks too nice! You're doing a great job on your :WRS: rebuild. :hide:

Martin

:disgust: to everyone for all the great comments on my build so far :WRS:

i hope it inspires some of you with limited skills or those just sitting on the fence to work on a tractor and post about it on here....

its not that hard once you get into it and its a great learning experience. i really like looking at the work that others do. and pics are important to me to learn as well.

anybody wanting to ask me about something i did, pm me anytime and ill try to help you out.

im sure theres members on here that work on their stuff all the time and dont post about their builds for whatever reason. we all like to see tractors getting worked on and im sure theres some real nice stuff being done by some of you. theres no standard to comply with regarding the work that you do, just a sharing of a common interest. so if your thinking of showing everyone what youre doing with one of these fine :) tractors......get posting. :)

It's hard for me to call that a "worker", it just looks too nice! You're doing a great job on your :offtopic: rebuild. :hide:

that red powder is making it look real nice and should protect it enough so that the surface rusted sheet metal doesnt get any worse. i really just wanted to tidy it up a little and make it nicer to use. there wasnt much paint left on it and the surface rust on it was fairly bad, especially the rear section. i couldnt leave the rear section box as is either as it was rusted through and was fun when you would be doing something close and get some loose rusted metal under the skin somewhere! at least it is more functional now. battery tray and pto mount on side of dash tower really needed to fixed as well. my metalwork is just ok, i am limited to a 4 1/2 inch grinder, cheap gasless welder that is frustrating to use sometimes ( really need to get some better flux core wire) and a metal bender that consists of a piece of 1/2 x 1 1/4 bar about 2 1/2 ft long and a few vise grip clamps. oh, and some impatience on my part sometimes.

so this is really just a quick tidy up, make it look better and fix minor worn out stuff like steering, front axle, clutch/brake etc. and some better tires.

the engine really wasnt touched inside other than a quick clean out. trans was real clean too so just flushed it a few times with clean oil.

this is by no means done to the degree that others have done on here, just a quick rebuild that will not be anywhere near 'show' worthy, but will look nice when being used around the yard and should clean up easy.

so if anybody on here sees it out at a meet and greet or a show or whatever watch out for the 10 foot invisible fence..... :hide: :beer:

massey

All of your work is paying off, it looks great.

Martin

well its getting a bit closer now. some things are going good some not. probably going to do the hood again, it had alot of surface rust and i ground and filed it to get it smoother but after the powder coat its still not smooth enough and one of my patched holes could be much better.

steering is back together, clutch/brake almost done, test fitted dash and switches etc and should be able to start wiring this weekend. heres some pics.

cole hersee order came last wed....

CIMG0984.jpg

rest of the powdercoated parts....

CIMG0985.jpg

steering linkage......

CIMG0986.jpg

CIMG0992.jpg

dash...

CIMG0995.jpg

wanted to make sure everything fit right on the dash. the cole hersee stuff is good, but comparing the 46+ year old plating with the new on the gen light, the old chrome has more shine.. go figure. 'i guess quality isnt what it used to be' rears its ugly head again. the chrome on the light switch isnt real shiny either.

still need to apply the dash decal. im not really looking forward to doing this....does anybody have any tips for me, the decal looks to be in one piece and im concerned about getting it right in the crease line of the dash (right across the center)...

CIMG0997.jpg

CIMG0999.jpg

Martin

i dragged the 1054 outside today, put the rest of the tins on. its amazing that even after spending considerable time fitting parts before paint, when it comes time to put them on painted they dont fit or you find you missed something. the powdercoat also adds thickness to everything as well, ive always been a 3-4 mil painter and when the parts are pitted with surface rust usually they end up getting 4-5 (or more) on them. makes for extra work sometimes with reaming out holes or massaging parts a little to get them to fit.

also got to test out gene`s thumbscrews...work great gene! :hide:

i thought id pull the cart out and see what it looks like behind the 1054 as well.

man, im getting impatient for some seat time on this thing.

heres some more pics.

CIMG1000.jpg

CIMG1002.jpg

CIMG1004.jpg

CIMG1008.jpg

after all that messing around, ended up cutting out a grille out of some blast cabinet mesh. undecided on what color the grille is going to be yet.

CIMG1011.jpg

• Like 1

JUSS10

looking good! i have to stop looking at these pictures as they are tempting me to strip mine down and refinish it! i have a 753 thats been mid restoration for almost a year now, really need to finish that first! but wow! its looking great!

neil

Man, this restore is looking better than new. Congratulations on a fantastic job you have done.

I will be delighted if any of my restores come out half as good as this one.

lets see plenty of photos when its totally finished.

whenever i get a bit disheartened whith how my restoration of my 653 is going , i just come to this post to get some inspiration and motivation to somewhere rech this standard of workmanship.

great job you must be so proud of it

Martin

Man, this restore is looking better than new. Congratulations on a fantastic job you have done.

I will be delighted if any of my restores come out half as good as this one.

lets see plenty of photos when its totally finished.

whenever i get a bit disheartened whith how my restoration of my 653 is going , i just come to this post to get some inspiration and motivation to somewhere rech this standard of workmanship.

great job you must be so proud of it

thanks for the very nice comments, the pictures (all of them cell phone pics) definitely make it look better than in the flesh, though. :hide:

still, im happy with how its turning out. its a good practice run for me to hopefully do something real nice. ( like the ones i see on here)

i like using powdercoat, its tough, shiny everywhere and cured half an hour to an hour after painting. you can be painting something and 2 hours later have it cooled down enough to install without worrying about scratching or ruining paint. and no mess to clean up, either. its main downfall is it needs an almost perfect substrate to begin with. and this 1054 was far from perfect. my other problem is im impatient and i wanted this thing done in only a month. i started it may 1st and i think if i was better organized it would be done by now, but i also dont work on it 24/7........its mostly just friday night, a full day saturday and a few hours during the week.

oh well, i am really enjoying making this one look better and looking forward to putting it to use.

Kelly

Martin, it looks very good, I can say even with out seeing it in person, it is better than factory, you are very lucky to beable to do your own powder, I tried a local guy and I'm very unhappy, i'm going to try a guy 30 miles from me to see how his work is, if not I have a line on another place but it's a 1.5 hour drive, your right on the base matrial needing to be nice, but for small parts and WHEELS those are what I want to have dozens of done, I hate painting wheels, very nice job, I would love to see it in person.

Martin

kelly,

thanks for the comments, i have been at this place for 11 years and it definitely has its moments, lots of stress and frustration. but i have a boss who will let us guys do personal work and its a major job benefit. i just cant go crazy with it, i could end up putting more time in at work doing personal stuff than doing work. :hide:

the hardest part about doing wheels for me is hanging them. ive made fixtures of all shapes and sizes, but theres always the area where it touches the part. now i use some banding strap and loop it around the inside rim area of the wheel. then hook it from there.

as far as finding a good coater, keep looking, there has to be some reputable places near you.

Kelly

The guy that did my wheels, hung them with a chain, it had a ring he could run the chain back through the ring and wrapped the chain around the middle of the rim it left minor bare spots, but I sprayed them with paint before installing the tires.

Martin

the electrical is nearly done. all wiring is new. used crimp connectors , removed the plastic sleeves before use and after put some heat shrink tubing on the connection. ive done a few harnesses before and this was a piece of cake. i placed an inline fuse between the ignition switch and light switch since there is none. had to also apply the dash decal to be able to finish dash electrical. really nice decal, just dont like the fact that its delicate and the screws that go through to attach the starter button and the plate to the dash tower you have to be real careful tightening otherwise its easy to screw up the decal. i placed small washers under the heads of the screws to help. im not convinced the dash decal thing is a good idea, i suppose it survived 47 years on the original one, though.

hooked up the battery and all tested ok.

pics......

CIMG1017.jpg

CIMG1020.jpg

CIMG1018.jpg

CIMG1023.jpg

Butch

:woohoo: :D

whfan74

Looks great Martin! Almost done! :woohoo:

tractordave3128

Looks real good! :woohoo::D :ROTF:

earlleecliffton