Sign in to follow this  
galaxiejoe

Need some wiring help

galaxiejoe

I want to do a full rewire on my 856 because it is a mess, currently running a 3 poll aftermarket regulator, 2 post 4 wire solenoid and the 3 prong ignition switch. I am trying to use the 2 paged below and cant see how I can wire in the solenoid?

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26334

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19860

rmaynard

On an 856 you have a direct contact ignition switch, meaning that the contacts that actually connect the battery to the starter are in the switch. You need to remove the wires from the switch and hook them to the solenoid as shown below

05489e67.jpg

All wires going from battery to large lugs of solenoid must be 6 gauge or heavier. Other wires can be 14 or 16 gauge.

galaxiejoe

Thank you for the help with how to add in the solenoid, I was just looking at my WH and the wiring is different on the starter/gen and the regulator. he field and arm of the gen are wired to the corresponding connection on the regulator and the batt. terminal is not used. Is that correct or should I just follow the modified diagram?

Joe

rmaynard

The wiring diagram is taken directly from the 856 manual. The only change was to add the solenoid. All wiring is based on original Wheel Horse parts as produced at the factory. If you have an after-market starter or regulator, the charging circuit may be different. But as far as the starting circuit is concerned, you have to have the ground of the starter connected to the (-) of the battery, and the starting lug of the starter connected to the (+) of the battery, with some sort of high amperage, momentary switch in the (+) line, be it the original ignition switch or the added solenoid.