Sign in to follow this  
C-160 Tractor

K341S PTO Clutch drive pulley oil leak question

C-160 Tractor

Hello all

I am in need of help again so I turn to my favorite site again!

:thumbs:

I recently replaced my PTO Clutch plate with a new one along with the new drag brake thing.

That brings me to my 1st question.;

How do I adjust that brake to do what it is meant for on the PTO clutch pulley?

When I replaced the clutch I use my grease gun and put some grease on my finger and wiped it on the shaft under the pulley and inside the pulley on what looked like roller bearings.

Now today I went around my whole yard with the tractor and was just using my lawn sweeper and then when i was done I looked down and noticed this.

IMG_20110429_170802.jpg

I am not sure what happened?

The pulley was very hot to the touch, but I had never really touched it before to know if that is normal?

I have two thoughts about what I think it could be.

1. the oil I rubbed in there got hot and came out?

2. I had the brake to tight and it caused the pulley to get really hot due to to pressing against the clutch plate and some how that heated it up to much to melt the inner seal?

anyway I need to know what this is before i go and mow my lawn tomorrow.

Any help would be great!

On what the oil problem is along with how to adjust the brake thing properly.

more pics.

BEFORE.

IMG_20110423_134401.jpg

New Clutch...

IMG_20110423_135354.jpg

IMG_20110423_140333.jpg

Oil leaking out,

IMG_20110429_170806.jpg

IMG_20110429_170812.jpg

thanks again

:wh:

WH854

What is that on the end of the crank shaft? Look like it has a small slot in it :thumbs: I don't have any thing like that on my C-165!! Here is a break down of a PTO.

PTOSETUP.gif

you most likely will have to rebuild that pto bell

Chas

C-160 Tractor

I have no idea sorry, any idea on how to adjust the pulley brake?

Also can you help me pinpoint what parts on that list would need to be had to repair this?

thank you

squonk

The thing with the slot is #43 in the pic. A spring #44 pushes against it and forces The clutch against the brake when the pto is off. It pushes against #12. Not all PTO's have it and you can take all that out if you want. I'm guessing the grease is coming from the outer brg #8. Possibly the seals are gone in that and the brg is bad and the fact you added grease to the roller now that grease is working it's way out the outer brg.

Kelly

I would pull the PTO bell back off, before you mow again, if that much grease is coming out that end, hope it's not getting on the new disk it will ruin it, kinda looks like you got too much grease in it, and I would buy a new grease seal for the inner PTO bearing, they are cheap, about $2 from toro, don't grease the race on the engine, if the seal is even close to being good it will wipe the grease off as you install the bell, and that can get on the disk, only a very light coat of grease on the bearing, I like to use a high speed wheel bearing grease, in there, general purpose grease has a lower melting point.

C-160 Tractor

Ok great thanks I will take it off and hope its not all over my new clutch. Also wipe excess grease off and get those seals and bearing on order.

Can you help me adjust the guide braket? Does that need to be tight against the PTO bell or loose on it? Also I had it all apart and I do not have a spring in there. I think that would be nice though to push the pto bell off the clutch when dissengaged. Anyway I can add one in?

Kelly

As for the spring to push the PTO out, I pull all that stuff out, and throw it away, most of the time the spring is missing or broken, there is a small torrington bearing it rides on and most of the time that is shot also, they only used that set up for a number of years then stopped, I'm sure they figured out it wore out fast. as for the brake it has been talked about here many times, for the most part it is a safety feature that does not work to stop the PTO, get your clutch adjusted so it works good, and your happy with it, then disengage the clutch, push the brake till it pushes on the pto bell, but not to the point it makes it touch the clutch disk, tighten the bolts and your set, but I can tell you it does not work most of the time.