Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Front Mount Mower

nylyon

Dustin (or anyone who has one) can you get a better picture of the front mounting on the carrier? For the past couple of years I have seen something which looks like a front carrier sitting on this guys front lawn. I haven't seen a Wheel Horse on the property, just what appears to be a front mount carrier and 48" deck.

If it is a front carrier, maybe I'll stop in and ask the owner if they want it removed.

DMESS

Karl, i will get you pics when we get home. (camping and typing by thumb)

kj4kicks

(camping and typing by thumb)

Camping by thumb ? :whistle:

Ouch !

Rollerman

(camping and typing by thumb)

Dustin does this mean you are useing a "Black Berry" or similar to visit Red Square when your not home.

Does this mean I can get my fix from the seat on the roller at work while waiting for the asphalt to cool......or waiting on my forman to dig holes. :whistle:

DMESS

Dustin does this mean you are useing a "Black Berry" or similar to visit Red Square when your not home.

Does this mean I can get my fix from the seat on the roller at work while waiting for the asphalt to cool......or waiting on my forman to dig holes. :whistle:

My wife was kind enough to let me have internet capability on my cell phone. (Wait a second, I'm paying the bill :D ) Not a Blackberry, just a regular phone. I kinda wish it was something with a full keyboard because trying to type with 10 keys is mentally challenging! At least I can sit in the woods and visit Redsquare! :WRS:

Rollerman

I'll have to investigate this...I use Verizon & also have net use on it.

But can not open the RS site with it. :WRS:

Possibly may need to buy the optional memory :D

So not to get to far :whistle: ....about them front mount mower decks... :D

Benshorses

Here is a picture of my C-175 with a front mount attachment with a 48" deck.

Pardon the picture its a little blury.

Attached Image

post-4-1211820373.jpg

rustbucket

that looks rather cool hmm gives idea for the front of the old GT-14 maybe hehehehehe.but thats way down the road right now all i want is to get my GT lookin purdy

DMESS

As promised! (belt isn't installed in these pics but you get the idea)

fc2.jpg

fc1.jpg

It is a cool looking attachment but not the most manuverable setup. Swing wide baby, swing wide!

Curmudgeon

That's what I've always thought about the front mount option, those HAVE to be a bear to steer. Don't they? Talk about visibility though!!!!

DMESS

Doesn't steer hard, it's just a pain to maneuver around tight spots. I really can't think of a great use for it. 100 miles of split rail fence? Low hanging trees? Anything you would slide it under would require lots of forward and backward motion to complete your cutting. It does cut nice since you don't run the grass down before cutting it. Beyond that it's a neat TOY!

rustbucket

lots and lots of open grass is my best guess for it seeing as how there would be no obsticales

Craig Arndt

Its really nice looking, but I was wondering why they dreamt that one up. Must have been something some designer thought would be ideal. Course its easier to take off and not have to pull that deck out from under the tractor.

Your 417 is gorgeous, what a sweet tractor. :whistle:

• Like 1

T-Mo

Probably good under trees and shrubs, and a good conversational piece, and that would be it. But I still would love to have one. :whistle:

nylyon

Thanks for the pictures, I don't think that the one which I have seen is a Wheel Horse mount, it is similar but it doesn't look like the pics here. Thanks :whistle:

linen beige

I've not seen one in person, and don't know for sure, but a seller on ebay a few months back wrote that the deck can be set at a much higher cutting height for heavier grass / light brush. But it looks like the belt would rub the carrier if raised too high. And I wouldn't do that with a rear discharge! It also replaced the older fence row mower that had part of the blade sticking out of the front edge of the deck at ankle height.

DMESS

I've not seen one in person, and don't know for sure, but a seller on ebay a few months back wrote that the deck can be set at a much higher cutting height for heavier grass / light brush. But it looks like the belt would rub the carrier if raised too high. And I wouldn't do that with a rear discharge! It also replaced the older fence row mower that had part of the blade sticking out of the front edge of the deck at ankle height.

I think you can get a slightly higher cut out of it, although when adjusted properly by the manuel specs it is said to be at the same height as when supported by the gauge wheels. The manuel makes no mention of using it with a rear discharge deck. I believe the SD decks were the only ones that could be used because the pick up points are different on the back of the RD decks.

Curmudgeon

Well boys, it seems obvious to me why they put it out there. Can anybody say.... visibility! Talk about about being able to see where the deck is, how close it is to something. No kinked necks looking sideways and down.

Maybe I should word my previous question differently. I didn't mean to imply the steering wheel would turn hard, but does it steer? Or do you turn the wheel and hope it'll swing it around BEFORE you hit that tree?

• Like 1

Stigian

A front mounted cutting deck is just what i need, great for chasing the rabbit out my garden :whistle: :WRS:

linen beige

A front mounted cutting deck is just what i need, great for chasing the rabbit out my garden :whistle::WRS:

Would be the perfect set up for a

Benny Hill chase scene too!

Curmudgeon

I need to take a better picture.

And swing the guard around to the right side.

But.

I still like MY front mount mower!!

DSCF1448s.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Gee Thirdroc,

With a V8 :WRS: and that mower you must fly through whole clearings of brush!!!

:whistle:

PetesPonies

so all this talk, I think on a large field with tall grass it would be a good setup. So what does it take to mount? You need a side discharge deck and what hardware? Any hardware like that available?

plowmaster

I need to take a better picture.

And swing the guard around to the right side.

But.

I still like MY front mount mower!!

DSCF1448s.jpg

thirdroc, do you have more pictures of your workbench? did you drive up onto it? looks good and sturdy

thanks

jon

Curmudgeon

As a matter of fact, yes I do!

It is for sale, and while I thought it was sold, but it's been sitting here in the way so long, it's about to come up for sale again.

The end:

standend.jpg

The side:

standside.jpg

With loading ramps:

standwramps.jpg

I do drive right up on it, using the same ramps I use to load pickup or trailer. Ramps aren't included in the sale.

The three center planks aren't screwed down so I can move them for an extension if needed (I c-clamp another plank across the middle to keep them from flipping) or they can be left out entirely if you want access from below, although I found out getting under it is virtually impossible for this old fart.