Sign in to follow this  
kick

low rpm vibration

kick

Hi all I just picked up a 1988 310-8 in nice condition. I just noticed that it vibrates pretty bad at about 1/4 throttle. Above that runs smooth including deck engagement. Im going to check motor mount bolts etc, Any ideas? thanks

rmaynard

There are any number of places where a vibration can occur. With the engine running at the speed where the noise is heard, carefully do the "feel" test. Being careful to stay clear of moving parts such as belts, flywheels, PTO, etc., try to determine the approximate area where you think the sound is coming from. Then push or pull on that part and see if the sound changes or goes away.

Also try to determine if it is coming from the engine or the tractor.

Common areas of vibration are, in no particular order:

Flywheel cover

Engine tins on head

Belt cover

Hood

If the vibration appears to be coming from the engine, and all the covers are secure, you might want to check for something in the fins of the flywheel causing it to be out of balance.

If it's not in the engine, more than likely you have some loose body parts.

kick

THANKS RMANYARD KEEP YA POSTED

kick

I jumped the gun a little too early, my hood was shaking from the hinge pin being a little sloppy. I put on some 3/8 bolts with nylok nuts and washers. Now its nice and secure. my 417 hood is set up the same way. Anyway mechanically I checked all the bolts and removed the engine sheet metal to make sure everything is clean. Runs sweet.