Horse-Drawn

Dad was right all along...

linen beige

If you have a tractor which has a magneto based ignition system, an overheating coil is not possible.

Why ? First you don't have an ignition coil

Oh yes you DO, albeit of a different design.

Without a BATTERY there is no current with which to overheat the coil.

specialwheelhorse

Shouldn't this whole topic be included in the bumps and lumps section or whatever its called ?

Save Old Iron

If you are concerned about this happening, a thermostat such as

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bimetal-Temperature-Switch-Thermostat-65C-N-C-KSD9700-Thermal-Protector-/310570041538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484f6ac0c2

could be tucked behind the coil and bracket to open up at the appropriate temp.

A fuse based on amperage will not protect against overheating.

A thermostat based on excessive temperature will keep the coil temp below explosive limits until the battery wears down.

A third option would be to wire in a buzzer much like a gen light on older tractors. Buzzes only when the tractor is not running and the key is left on. I may look into that option myself.

slammer302

I want to see pictures of this exploded coil mess!!!

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

%D0%B2%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%

Joefrommi65

Well no coil issues here but , I smoked a brand new battery about a month ago when temps dropped to around zero or below it must have discharged and froze ......I just bought it a week before and at a $40.00 lesson I also now remove the key after using the old girl.

doc724

Hmmm, good reminder.  Drained the battery a couple of times on my C111 many years ago because my kids would go in the garage and turn the key on (and leave).  They are all grown now so I leave the keys in my C141, but guess what, there are now grandkids who can get into mischief.  I guess I better get back in the habit of hanging up the keys on these old machines!

swarfeater

I hope you were careful about cleaning the mess up.  if it was an older coil (pre 1990 more or less) then it was probably loaded with PCB laced oil. Toxic among its many bad attributes. especially bad for the young one to be around, just breathing the fumes can cause severe problems, even death to some who have the unfortunate circumstance. old oil cooled electrical items like ignition coils need to be handled like the toxic things they are.