Sign in to follow this  
JimD

What a day.

JimD

I got up this morning at 7:30 am and got myself a cup of coffee and went to my computer to start my day. I noticed it was extremely windy outside, but didn't think much of it. Just another crappy Ohio day. At 7:40 the cable and internet went out. I looked outside and sure enough, the wind had taken yet another large piece out of the willow tree in the front yard, also taking down the cable. My wife got on the phone to the cable company for about ten minutes with the automated answering system only to find they weren't open till 8 am.

Now I'm sitting here playing solitaire on the computer when the power goes out at ten till 8. It was at this point that I realized that the wife and I would at some point have to resort to talking to each other out of boredom. I think the communication stopped at about the ten year mark of the marriage. :wh:

After she got done with the calls to the cable and electric companies, it got quiet for awhile. Then we looked at each other with this kind of, you look familiar gaze. Then we talked. And talked. And talked. At some point we got hungry and went to McD's for some food. After a nap I went out and finished fixing my exhaust on the truck. Then I tried another nap, but thought I would turn on a fan to let me know when the power came back on. That blessed event took place at 4:14 pm. So I got up. And we talked. :D

While it was great to have the power back on, we still had no TV or Inet. She decided she wanted to try the solitaire game for awhile, and I remarked that I would keep watch out the window for the cable guy, knowing full well we wouldn't see him till Monday. <_<

Then the most amazing thing happened. A truck came down the road, slowing with a turn signal on. It had the cable company logo on the side. I shouted, "CABLE DUDE!". She said no way. I said he's pulling in the drive right now. She was thrilled.

He said it would be about 20 minutes or so and we would be back on. Well, it took an hour as we watched his every move from the window. Then the green light came on on the router. I had already told her when it came on I would give her back her remote if she'd give me back my keyboard, and we struck a deal. :D

We are now all caught up on the last 22 years after all the talking, and as I handed her the remote I gave her a kiss and said, " See ya at the next power outage". :thumbs:

Duff

Great story! :wh:

Duff :thumbs:

neil

BRILLIANT :thumbs:

sgtsampay

I love the ending. LOL.

theoldwizard1

I think the communication stopped at about the ten year mark of the marriage. :thumbs:

I know the feeling.

I've bee retired for 4 years, the wife for 2. Less communication now a days than ever before. Sigh

stevasaurus

OK you guys...here is the secret...

The MAN retires and the WOMAN keeps working...that way you end up talking every night when she comes home and asks you what you did all day, because nothing looks like it got done. :thumbs:

Great story Jim... :wh: You could pull out the mains at the switch board every once in a while. :D ....or you could buy a generator. :D

JimD
I think the communication stopped at about the ten year mark of the marriage.

Suburban 550

Sounded like a tough day, Jim. Glad they got you up and runnin' the same day. :wh: BTW, were there alot of catching up to do after 22 years? :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Talk? :wh: That's all my wife does. Talks non stop morning till night. I can't imagine what would happen if the power went out here. :thumbs:

JimD

Sounded like a tough day, Jim. Glad they got you up and runnin' the same day. :D BTW, were there alot of catching up to do after 22 years? :thumbs:

Well Ray, I found out my daughter got married last June. :wh: Think I've been out of the loop? :D

Indy w h

Now I see why I'm not married !!!!

Great story Jim!!

Indy

linen beige

My wife and I married in '94.

I retired in '05.

Our power went out for a few hours back in March of 2010.

I turned 50 in Sept. '10.

Our son was born in Nov. '10.

I don't talk much.

:hide:

JimD

My wife and I married in '94.

I retired in '05.

Our power went out for a few hours back in March of 2010.

I turned 50 in Sept. '10.

Our son was born in Nov. '10.

I don't talk much.

:hide:

Jim, you obviously have better things to do! :WRS: