Sign in to follow this  
theoldwizard1

B&S carb expert

theoldwizard1

My son and I both have newer McLane Edgers with 3.5 HP B&S Industrial engines. These engines look quite different from most B&S small engines because they have a gas tank that covers the entire top of the engine and use a different carb than the old 5 HP horizontal shaft.

Last year, I did a complete rebuild on my carb because the previous owner had let the fuel in the tank turn into something really nasty. (The dregs look a bit like cottage cheese). After re-assembly it ran like a top.

The last couple of times I used it was on gas with Stabil. I turned off the fuel and let the engine run until it quit before putting it away for the winter.

Now, this spring, it won't run "smooth" unless the choke is half on (governor keeps reving it up as it wants to die). I know from experience that there is some spec of dirt somewhere in the carb. My son's is doing the same thing.

Now it is not that big of a deal, but pulling the carb is time consuming as you have to remove the gas tank, the tank mounting bracket and the over-sized air cleaner and the air cleaner mounting bracket.

What did I do wrong on my winterization and how do I prevent this from re-occurring ?

oldredrider

I don't know if you did anything "wrong", but here's my experience: About a year ago, I picked up two push mowers that were headed to the scrap pile. Both had Briggs engines on them and need carb cleaning with new gaskets. After doing the work, I filled them with gas and added Sea Foam. Sharpened their blades and changed oil and "test drove" them. I had intentions of selling them last spring but got side tracked and it never happened. I ran them out of gas and put them away.

This past week, a buddy at work said he wanted one and would pick it up this weekend. Today I pulled them out of the shed, put gas in each one (with Sea Foam added to gas) and with 2 pulls on the rope, both started and ran fine.

I used to use Stabil but found Sea Foam cleans as well as stabilizes the fuel.

Also pulled out my 30 year old Mcculloch weed wacker today and it fired right up. Needless to say, I put Sea Foam in ALL my small engines and have no problems at all.

Redbirdman

I turned off the fuel and let the engine run until it quit

I'm not going to 'profess' but I really 'think' running an engine dry may be the wrong approach. Doing so actually sucks up the last bit of sand and crap from the final reservoirs ......(In my opinion)......and I have never taken a carb apart without finding some residue someplace. It's kinda like 'stirring the pot'. On the other hand....all our outboard motors we have run on Stabil (since it was available) and 'FOGGED' them till they choked out but not actually starved them of gas. And never had a problem come spring.

I've said it before........almost all piston aircraft SOP is to 'lean' to shutdown. That does not drain the carb, but simply turns off the fuel before it enters the manifold, unlike turning off the fuel before it enters the carburetor.

In either case (outboard or aircraft) you may still have fuel in the carb which may or may not drain or dry up, but at least you did not suck that last bit of sand and twigs and old band-aids and coffee cups into the needle valves.

ed :wh: :thumbs: