Sign in to follow this  
Giles

Surprised at what I found.

Giles

A few years ago, I owned a Gilson lawn tractor with a 16HP Briggs engine.

During an engine rebuild, I discovered the flywheel key was 3/16 ALUNIMUM :thumbs:

This particular machine was "shaft driven" with the drive shaft connected to the flywheel.

The taper of the crank to flywheel plays a big part in keeping the flywheel from moving.

For this reason--always make sure this taper is clean and in perfect condition --even if you have a steel key.

theoldwizard1

B&S used aluminum keys on many engines. If the engine stopped suddenly, the flywheel would shear off the key and not the end of the crank !

Many "no starts" on old B&S engines are because the key is sheared, the flywheel has moved relative to the key way and the timing is off !

rmaynard

If you go to the Brian Miller's pulling tractor website, he recommends aluminum (4041 hardness) keys for all engines.

Gene_S

I'll take a sheared key over a broken crank any day!!! :thumbs: I've fixed many of push mowers that have hit all kinds of stupid stuff and then the owner throws it away thinking its shot. I throw a new key in, bend the blade back or replace and bam you got a new to you push mower... :wh: