Sign in to follow this  
Giles

Fabricated Tie Rods

Giles

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n498/Yelrug/P4050017.jpged to fabricate these for P4050018.jpgmy C175P4040016.jpgP4040005.jpgP4040004.jpg

I made these for my C175--

The Tie Rod Ends are Stens 245-068 All are Right hand 3/8-24 thread. I cut off the heads of three bolts and welded them inside a 3/8 sch. 40 pipe.

While welding the studs, I decided that a long length of 3/8-24 all thread, could be slipped through a section of pipe after running a 3/8 drill bit through it. That would require no welding. The pipe would then be used for cosmetic purposes. I already had the bolts and some scrap pipe.

My total cost was less then $30.00 for the Rod Ends.

Kelly

much better than factory, looks good.

145Automatic

Nice bit of fabrication. They look good and you gained some adjustability that you didn't have before. Thanks for sharing.

cpete1

Really nice work, but why the "divets" in the ends. Was that before you welded the bolts ? Just curious not meaning to downgrade anything, looks like a great idea.

Thanks Chris

Giles

Really nice work, but why the "divets" in the ends. Was that before you welded the bolts ? Just curious not meaning to downgrade anything, looks like a great idea.

Thanks Chris

I am not a good welder. The tubing was ground that way to expose the inner stud for welding.

P4040010.jpg

JC 1965

:wh: Great idea, I'm always amazed at the ideas you guys come up with. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

Kilroy

I am definitely going to do this! Thanks for sharing your ingenuity.

:thumbs:

Save Old Iron

or

just place a continuous piece of threaded rod thru the outer 3/8 shell and save the work on shaving the bolt heads.

one divot in the shell will provide you with a weld point to fasten the rod to the outer tube

or if you don't have a welder ...

drill two holes thru the shell and inner rod and roll pin the rod inside the shell.

if the threaded ends ever get stripped, the roll pin method offers the flexibility to knock out the two roll pins - redrill a new piece of threaded rod and re-pin. And you don't even have to repaint the outer tube :thumbs:

JimD

Quote:

While welding the studs, I decided that a long length of 3/8-24 all thread, could be slipped through a section of pipe after running a 3/8 drill bit through it. That would require no welding. The pipe would then be used for cosmetic purposes. I already had the bolts and some scrap pipe.

No need for welding or roll pins. :thumbs:

Giles, thanks for sharing your idea, excellent!! :wh: :D

Save Old Iron

No need for welding or roll pins. :thumbs:

welding, roll pins or an extra pair of nuts would take away any need for critical measurement of the length of the outer shell over the threaded rod.

I know someone published a nice writeup on tie rods a few weeks back but the length of the center tubing had to be measured / precisely cut AFTER the wheels were aligned.

The tie rod HAD TO BE disassembled to put the center tube back on the tie rod.

Pick your poison.

Coadster32

Looks good. Nice fab. work. :thumbs:

Duff

I know someone published a nice writeup on tie rods a few weeks back but the length of the center tubing had to be measured / precisely cut AFTER the wheels were aligned.

Guilty as charged! :wh:

Duff :thumbs:

JimD

No need for welding or roll pins. :wh:

welding, roll pins or an extra pair of nuts would take away any need for critical measurement of the length of the outer shell over the threaded rod.

Pick your poison.

Well, you didn't mentioned nuts in your first post. Obviously the best choice. No welding or roll pins needed. :D I would have thought a squirrelly dude such as yourself would have thought of nuts first! :thumbs: