Sign in to follow this  
rocko_brown

Just Got My First Horse But Wont Start

rocko_brown

I Just got a 1965 wheel horse 1075 :thumbs: . I bought a new spark plug, battery and coil. It cranks but I dont seem to get any spark. Could the alternator or actually I think its a generator of somesort be the problem? Not really sure, still trying to find an owners manual for it. I got it off this lady next to a house im building. all i had to do was buy and put a section of fence up. Id say thats a pretty good deal. I started the strip down of all the old grim, rust and paint but its not that bad. It's actually in really good condition considering its almost 47 years young. It has the mower deck attachment 36" I believe. So yea I'm new to the whole site actually and any advice or help would be very much appreciated and hopefully I can be riding it around soon.

MikesRJ

wallfish

:thumbs:

You'll need to check and/or replace the points. They could just need to be cleaned with a small file. Also verify that you are getting 12v to the + side of the coil with the key in the run position.

VinsRJ

:thumbs:

Lots of great people here willing to help!

smoreau

:wh: I have it's little brother a 875. sounds like the points as long as it rolling over. take the cover off and clean them with some emery cloth or fine sand paper. If its not rolling over it could be the key switch. Any how we will need more info to help more and :D:D :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Sounds like you got a great deal. Post some picts when you can. :thumbs:

Kelly

I agree, check the points, I run a piece of sand paper between them, about 150 grit, if it starts and runs after that and is worthy I put new points in most times, the points are in the tin box right below the exhaust port, I would recommend a new condenser also.

corn53

:wh: Definately what they said!!! :thumbs:

Backroads

After what I just went through with mine another place to check is your fuel tank. Mine did the same thing (cept it ran for a while then just evolved to not starting at all) and there was rust in the tank which clogged up everythig from the fuel lines, pump and carb. Just another thought.

chris11

After what I just went through with mine another place to check is your fuel tank. Mine did the same thing (cept it ran for a while then just evolved to not starting at all) and there was rust in the tank which clogged up everythig from the fuel lines, pump and carb. Just another thought.

Thats not going to be a spark problem.Thats a fuel problem